Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Summer time training

After what happened to Korey Stringer of the Minn. Vikings I wondered. What about us as Fireifghters. Do you train in extremly hot weather and if so what are ways you combat heat-related illnesses.
    Proud to be IACOJ Illinois Chapter--Deemed "Crustworthy" Jan, 2003

MembersZone Subscriber

I am a training officer for my station (20 people) and its my opinion that you owe it to the citizens to train hard all year. I do take some precautions however, we take lots of short breaks, anyone can sit out or get a drink with out getting jumped on and we also have a water misting fan. The fans are great, I can't recomend them enough, the same style that you see used in the NFL.
    I don't want my people spoiled so we also wear full gear. Some local depts. let people wear helmet, gloves and boots but thats not what they use to fight fires. Don't kill your people but you still should train like you work.

Scott Henry

MembersZone Subscriber

Shenry32, you owe it to your citizens to be ready all year long. If you have your people out during the summer and its 90 degrees, with a heat index of over a 100, and then the added 10 degrees with your PPE, and then another 10 if you are in direct sunlight you are looking at temps inexcess of 120 degrees. What state of hydration do you think your personnel are going to be at? Nearly 50% of fatilities a year are accountable to stress related conditions. On those hot days they should be inside, drinking water by the gallons. Plus as I posted on another topic similiar to this one. How much do you think they are really going to retain? Even the military has strict regulations on training in certain temperatures. I agree with allowing just helmets/gloves/regulation boots for certain training, and I've even done it with probies' in the academy. It all boils down to the topic. If I'm looking for motor skills, and mental retention, then I want them comfortable. Not worrying about how hot it is, and how soon can I get inside. Or even worse when the claxton hits an hour later, and my guys are down nearly a quart of water. If you can pull hoses/search or whatever in 70/80 deg. warmth, you can do it in 90 degree heat. There is no such thing as acclimation to high or low temperatures. Training should be for review and return to the basics, which a lot can still be done inside. They also would be behind the 8 ball with hydration even if they drank water during training. 75% of all americans are chronically dehydrated.

-------------------------------------------
    The above is my opinions only and doesn't reflect that of any dept/agency I work for, deal with, or am a member of.

Train hard, but train effectively.

Training isn't going to be effective if the troops aren't comfortable or are distracted...by sweat dripping down their forehead.

Yes, we still wear gear in positions at drills during the summer that require full gear. Key is though, we try *not* to schedule training that need a lot of firefighters in gear during the summer.

Typical summer sessions are:
    -- Pump drills
    -- Mass Casualty drill
    -- Water Rescue
    -- Pre-plan walk throughs

Yes, the summer may be the conditions you work in. So are slippery ice, pouring rains, and two in the morning. But the conditions you work in aren't neccessarily the best conditions to learn in.
    IACOJ Canine Officer
    20/50

i agree with als on this one,i am a military firefighter and on really hot days we do not do outside training that requires full ppe. we do alot of classroom training, there is a lot of stuff that can be done without risking the health and lives of your firefighters.

Forum Member

We run a training schedule that is layed out for us in advance, in June we do Hose testing of all the trucks, which we also work in LDH and handline training, In July we do water rescue training and in August we do our bloodborne pathogens and CPR/AED recerts. This works well, and keeps the guys happy, (who wants to stand around in full gear and watch 4 probies put up ladders in july)

We recently had 2 houses in 2 weekends to burn in June, we did the first and invited two of our mutual aid companies as well, it was 90+ all day and we were all tired, but live burn houses (not the training center) only come around once a year or so, than the next weekend we burnt the other house, we invited 2 other mutual aid companies this time as well. It was 95+ that day and both of the other companies didn't show up (pansies) we had one great day of burning and learned alot about fires in real world conditions, how to take care of yourself and how to keep hydrated. I know for you guys in the south it sounds like nothing, but for us winter type folk, it was invaluble training. and it definatly seperated the men from the boys.

-Nick

Hey Nick, who got invited to the second one?
    N.B. & W? Just curious.
    Now to the point of the topic. The gang is right shenry, there are lots of other drills and training that you can work on that don't require your guys to kill themselves. Like Nick said, we schedule our training so as not to risk heat related injuries.
    Take care, stay safe, & stay low!

Lt.

Thread Information