Thread: Flood plan

Default Flood plan

Our local newspaper ran a click on flooding that recently occurred in Scott and Wise counties in the western part of the state. The severity, according to the paper, of the flood washed out many roads and bridges. This prompted me to think the "what if" scenario and made me wonder if any departments out there have a flood response plan, especially flood prone areas such as Scott and Wise (although I don't know the terrain or area). We have a verbal plan although we haven't had a major flood since Noah went for his boat ride, I guess. What kind of plan do you guys have?

[ 08-14-2001: Message edited by: HOTDOG ]
    Begin with the end in mind.

Be safe out there!!

As far as set procedures, I don't know of any dept's here that do...yet. Houston just flooded big time two months ago, and it was just a disaster. HFD had to rely upon the houstonians for help with water rescues. There were people using row boats, fishing boats, and even a few swamp boats. The amount of help that the locals gave was undescribable. Houston, and surrounding areas do need to start thinking more about that situation because here on the gulf it is a real possibility for another flood. Hospitals definitely learned some things from it too....like move your transformers to the roof. The major problem facing the city was power outages for critical places. Hospital, FD, PD, etc. We need to establish some sort of procedures to help us help the community. Like finding out who around has boats, and such equip. Take a few thousand and purchase a dept boat and do some training in a nearby lake.

just my opinion....
    FFJBARRIE<br />MY BROTHERS CALL ME "BOOBARRIE"

Forum Member

Only one I know we have is

SWIM
    Proud to be IACOJ Illinois Chapter--Deemed "Crustworthy" Jan, 2003

Forum Member

HOTDOG, my department doesn't have and SOGs for this kind of disaster either. Then again our district is a mountain and a highway about 330 Metres (almost 1000 feet) above sea level. If we get a flood, 80% of Vancouver Island is underwater.

Then again, I have seen some weird stuff happen around here .

[ 08-20-2001: Message edited by: firefighter26 ]
    "No one ever called the Fire Department for doing something smart..."

Thread Information