Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Volunteer Comp - Is there a trend?

Hi All -

Currently, the VFD I belong to pays the firefighters based on the number of hours they spend at incidents. We are looking at the possibility of NOT paying our volunteers. Over the last 5 years, pay has accounted for 21% of our total expenditures. OUCH!

One of my fellow volunteers mentioned that they attended a leadership class and at the class, the instructor urged VFDs to begin paying their firefighters.

Has anyone else heard this? Why would the instructor urge VFDs to pay firefighters? Are there any legal considerations to take into account?

I'm just looking for the facts regarding this issue. If you would like to comment on how you FEEL about volunteer pay, please make your comments in another topic.

Thanks.

Joe

Originally posted by Joe Fiala:
    Why would the instructor urge VFDs to pay firefighters?
    Get more paid positions available, more officer positions available and more union jobs.

Originally posted by Joe Fiala:
    Are there any legal considerations to take into account?
    Lots. First, are you reporting to IRS? If not, big trouble. Also, if the $ paid exceed a certain amount ($600 per man??), you must withhold.

Also, what is the effect of the pay on your worker's comp coverage?
    The above is MY OPINION only and not that of anyone else. I am not representing any organization in making a post here!!!!

Um, don't believe *everything* your instructors say

I've also been in an engine ops class where the instructor tried to explain how large booster tanks had no place in rural departments 'cause either the fire was out with 500 gallons or it wasn't. Whereas 1000 gallon tanks made sense in the city since you could use it while establishing a hydrant connection...
    IACOJ Canine Officer
    20/50

Maybe its just me, but i thought VOLUNTEER meant does it for FREE. I'm volunteer, and i dont care if i get paid or not, its a fun thing to do.
    Jeremy Cross<br />Mid County Fire Dept

Forum Member

Lets see You have a car crash..... the cops get paid.. the tow truck driver gets paid.... the medics get paid.... THE FIREFIGHTERS GO TO IT FOR FREE????? I think that we have forgot just how the fire service in this country was founded. The insurance companies PAID the fire departments for work done. If your budget is getting thin by paying people then get that money back send a bill to the insurance company for the cost of putting out the fire or tending to the accident. Everyone else has their hand out why not us. I get paid per call rate for every call I go to. If I did not get that I would not be a firefighter, not that I do not want to help out I just could not afford to. The paid per call money I get is my second job after taxes about $3000 a year. I would not have the time to give if I had to get a "real" second job. A false alarm billing with a rising scale brings in the money for a neighboring department first three alarms free #4 is going to cost $100 #5 $200 #6 $400
    and so on. The rate of false alarms is very low because of that so they do not run to that many alarms anymore hence money saved no false alarms no money paid out to the firefighters less wear on the truck and so on. Do not stop paying the guys come up with ways to have less calls (is that not our real purpose here) and a way to recoup your justified costs when you do have a call

ok I think I can step down off the soapbox now.

Thanks, everyone, for your comments.

HOWEVER....
    Please note that in my original post, I asked whether or not anyone had heard of fire instructors urging VFDs to begin paying their volunteers.

I do not want this topic to be about whether or not volunteers should be paid, or the upside/downside to paying volunteers. If you would like to comment on those subjects, please use another topic.

I'm simply trying to find out if the fire service is pushing VFDs to pay volunteers, and if so, why.

Thanks again. Stay safe.

Joe

Thread Information