Forum Member

Default vol. recruitment ads

Does anyone have any samples of ads to recruite volunteer's. Or any ideas on what to put in an ad? Any info would be greatly appreciated.
    "I truly believe that tradition is important to the long-term survival of the fire service."-Lt. Andrew Fredricks, FDNY,9-11-01

MembersZone Subscriber

WANTED: Person between the ages of 18 and 88 (breathing preferred). Must be willing to: Miss meals, miss your kids' school program, leave the middle of your anniversary dinner, be rudely awakened in the middle of the night, work in all kinds of weather conditions, be accustomed to the boss and customers hollering/screaming at you, perform actions that have you continually questioning your sanity, do things that Superman would not be asked to do, and be prepared to sacrifice all for someone in need you don't even know. If this sounds like something you may be interested in, contact FF41230 at ????Fire Dept. For those of us that already work here, there "ain't anything we'd rather do".

Hope it helps, happy hunting.

In my area The Genesee County Fire Chiefs got with the local tv stations and they show a 4 or 5 minute clip of a structure fire and mva 4 or 5 times a month, telling of being short of manpower and if interested in being a firefighter contact your local FD, village or township hall. It is under a public service anouncement with I guess little or no cost. Just an idea.

Stay Safe

Forum Member

This is Suffolk County, NY's campaign: http://www.co.suffolk.ny.us/we2wantu/

[ 10-22-2001: Message edited by: sponge ]

Visit www.wtfd.net to view our recruitment add.

Forum Member

Nice pages guys. I like your ads. The chief are still looking for different ideas. So the more you can come up with would be greatly appreciated. thanks
    "I truly believe that tradition is important to the long-term survival of the fire service."-Lt. Andrew Fredricks, FDNY,9-11-01

Forum Member

We've done recruitment campaigns for several counties and fire departments.

Check out some ideas at www.onscenemarketing.com and let us know how we can help.
    Stay safe. Train often.

Tiger Schmittendorf
    MembersZone Contributing Editor

Deputy Fire Coordinator
    Erie County Division of Fire Safety
    Department of Emergency Services
    716/681-7111 - FAX/681-3645
    www.erie.gov/fire
    schmitte@erie.gov

Chief of Training/PIO
    Evans Center Fire Company
    Town of Evans NY
    www.ecvfc.org
    tiger5@firehousezone.com

The way we recruit people is we have a open house at the station and ivite every that wants to and ask all the question that they have about the fire sevrice.

WE WILL NEVER FORGET 9-11-01 GOD BLESS ALL FALLEN FIRE FIGHTERS IN NEW YORK AND GOD BLESS THE U.S.A
    David R.Horner
    GrandTraverse Fife Lake Vol.

Most local television stations will donate air-time to volunteer organizations. Have your district commissioners check that angle. Also we had a banner made for the front of the firehouse that says "Help Protect Your Dreams" "Volunteer Now!!" It's simple and we got three new members out of it. In a company of 25 members with only an average of 8 showing per call three is pretty damn good.

We have created an overwhelming PR campaign to attact new members. When I started we had 19 members -1993. Today, I have 53 active and 2 applications per month for the past 4 months.

First, we created a website and market it to death. www.forksfire.com

Second, we do a direct mail- fund drive letter every year. Advertise the web site in it and ask for members in the fund drive letter.

Third, word of mouth. Someone sees your fire department shirt and stops to talk. INVITE THEM to stop by. They stopped you for a reason, like possibly joining. Talk to them. They may have a 17-18 son or daughter looking for something to get involved in.

Fourth,ask your members to bring their neighbors one night. If one current member recruited a new member, could you double your department within 1 year??

Fifth, does the township, borough or city publish a newsletter or newspaper? Put an article in it. Fire Safety, kids color page, membership info, anything. Get your name out there.

Sixth,go to the high schools. The high schools are what is going to make or break the volunteer fire service. Some schools require "community service" in order to graduate. The volunteer fire service counts towards this requirement.

Why is the linebacker of the football team reading to the elderly when we need him carrying that person out of building? Your wasting the talents that they don't even know they have.

Seventh, Get the schools involved. Invite yourself to the career day seminars. Call the guidance office up and ask when the date is. Then tell them the Fire Department will be there. I guarentee the first thought from the guidance teacher is going to be absolute shock to see you. If you have young firefighters or recent graduates. Take them along. Their ages are similar and they talk the talk.

If your school district has many fire departments in it? Invite more than your department.

Eighth, ALWAYS show your Department in a positive, forward thinking, and progressive light. No body wants to join a loser.

Its all about attitude!

Take care and goodluck. Feel free to contact me anytime with questions. I also have Power Point Presentation stuff I could e-mail you for ideas.

Ken Janis
    Vice President/Firefighter
    Community Fire Company of Forks Township - Forks Township Fire Department

station@forksfire.com

[ 11-11-2001: Message edited by: ken janis ]
    ideas expressed & posted in the forum(s) are my own.

Thread Information