Default How many do you make/How many do you Miss ?

Just wondering among the Volunteers out there how many calls you make and how many you miss. We miss 'em for a variety of reasons {Work, Family obligations, ect...} When do you make most of yours ? I make a majority of mine during the Mid-Nights and earlier in the evenings on Wed. Thurs. Fri.{My days off from work} I'm each and every day during the day but I have a 21 Month old son so I don't respond even though I'm Home. We usually hang out with the other night worker dads at the hall during the day and somebody usually hangs back with the babies.

Again like I said just wondering if you make more than you miss or the other way around...So far this year My Company is at 331 Alarms of which I made 88. Not a great record but I'm working on it !
    ***The Opinions expressed here are strictly my own and do not reflect those of the Department to which I am a Member ! ***

Stratford Fire Co. # 1.."Any Job ~ Any Place ~ Any Time"

Check us Out www.stratfordfire.com

With the rural FD I belong to, my record is not so good. We are on a point system and must get 175 points (2 per fire, 1 for every hour of duty pulled, 1 each drill), with at least 8 for training. Right now I have 170 with 10 being for training.
    I would have 172, but about 30 minutes ago I started to an overturned vehicle and came back when they started cancelling equip. It is about 5 miles to the fire house and I thought I would save the gas. If I was short on points, I would have gone in. If there was something to it, I would have gone in.
    I work midnights and try to make weekday calls since we are shorter then. I think we run almost 400 alarms per year.

Forum Member

My department, on average, only recieves 60 calls a year.
    70% mvas,
    10% Medical,
    10% fire related
    10% misc.

Last year we had 59 calls, I made 52. That is about average for me. However, I have never recieved the most calls attendend award. Figure that one out
    "No one ever called the Fire Department for doing something smart..."

Forum Member

We run about 180 calls a year-
    -40% medical
    -35% mva
    -15% fires
    -10% other/misc. calls

Top call takers usually make about 120 of those.
    Firefighter/NREMT-P/Public Safety Diver
    May we ride into the darkness only to return as safe as we started!!

Of the 52 fires we had last year I was on 47 the 5 that I missed was because I was on other fires at the time they occured. This year the number is down so far we have had 30 and I have been on all but 2 on I was out of the area the other I was on a ambulance drivng. We have about 2-4 rescues a year and I made all of those. It does help though that I work for the city so I can leave my job to go on the calls.

D308

Forum Member

I make as many as I can... and I miss more that I want to. Working a 10-hour schedule at my full time job has put a real crimp in my responses. What ones I don't miss because I am at work, seem to happen when I am getting ready to go back to work. Then on my days off, I find myself having to go out of town for meetings and to do shopping so I miss a few more.

My department has a 25% minimum requirement. I have managed to stay above that, but it seems to stay pretty close.
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

"People don't care what you know... until they know that you care." - Scott Bolleter

I too make all I can. Calls so far for the year around 515. We run Fire and EMS both out of our station. I'm at 438 runs this year. It does help that I work for the City and live two blocks from the station. The only excuse I have to miss a call is to be out of town.

MembersZone Subscriber

I am able to make about 95% of the calls. We only get about 100 per year so burn out isn't really a problem.

our dept gets 350 fire related calls per year, about 1700 medical related calls per year, being a firefighter i usually make 70-80% of fire calls, and i make a handful of medical calls.
    " truck till the casket drops "

www.lynbrookfd.org

My views and opinions do not represent the views and standards of the Department or Company that I belong to.

Forum Member

We're on pace for about 200 calls this year, and I'm running at about 55%. I run pretty much everything I'm available for, however I work about 60 miles from home, so I'm out of service (and two counties away) from about 7 A.M. until 6:30 P.M. every weekday (counting commuting time).

At the high end, we have a few people running at about 85% to 90% right now (people who work nearby and can leave work for calls), and a few who are down in the 20% range (mostly people who volunteer mostly on a help-cover-the-daytime basis).

Forum Member
    Why? It's not like you're going to visit me! But I'm near Waco, Texas

My dept does not have a minium requirement but we are not allowed to miss more then 3 fires in a row without a good reason. sometimes this happens in one day so we don't follow that rule too closely. I managed to make it to about 80% of the calls that we run on, if i do not make it then it is because i am dispatching the fire dept on the call. Last year we ran 90 calls and this year we are up to 150 already, so you can see that our call volume has increased alot. This is mostly due to the dept getting our medical first responder certification.
    NREMT-P\ Reserve Volunteer Firefighter\Reserve Police Officer
    IACOJ Attack

Experts built the Titanic, amateurs built the Ark.

Forum Member

We run about 850 fire calls a year. I unfortunately work about 30-45 minutes from the firehouse. I basically make about 25% a year, mostly nights and weekends. We have no minimums, but do have a training minimum which is being updated to be more stringent. I think that our top responder is at about 50%-60%.
    "The hero is commonly the simplest and obscurest of men."
    -Henry David Thoreau

Visit my dept. at www.TCFD.com

Most of my companies calls are in the middle of the night on a school night when i cant go, in the middle of the day when im in school, or a hour before i have to go to work. Luckly we only have to make 70-100 (i think) calls out of 400.

We usually get about 1600 calls a year. I joined the department in August, and I`ve made about 75 so far. Luckily I went to most of them, but that number also includes calls where I just got to the firehouse, or had to stay back.

I can`t get to calls during school obviously, most of those have been from just hanging out at the firehouse, or doing my homework there. It also helps when your Dad`s the chief, and you`ve got a free ride to calls at 2AM, and mutual-aid fires that most guys can`t get to.

Right now, my dept is at 134 calls...we had 138 for the year last year. I have 52 out of the current 134.

I work a rotating 4 on 4 off schedule, have a 5yr old son, and a wife who works, so I make what I can.
    "Life is not tried, it is merely survived, if you're standing outside the fire" - Garth Brooks

We have 3 companies of 10 men each. We are supposed to make 40% of our company calls each year, and 60% of our drills ( 2 a month). If we're short, non-company calls count 1/2. This encourages us to make the calls we can, but really try to make company calls. I think the average is for most to make about %50 each of company and non-company. It's also nice that unless it's a company call you don't feel as obligated to drop what you're doing unless you really can.
    Shawn Shreves
    Canyon Fire Department
    35 vols, 3 paid, ISO-3
    My opinion and nobody else's
    ...and well worth what you paid for it!

Forum Member

WOW, i see some of you made less than 60 this year.

I made 82 in 3 months.

But I work nights and am home all day.
    Proud to be IACOJ Illinois Chapter--Deemed "Crustworthy" Jan, 2003

Tw93Andrew93:
    What school do you go to? i live in the lower part of the county and go to Truman. ever here of it? i run with 10's

Forum Member

Last year out of 234 calls I made 215. Most of our calls happens during the winter, on the expressway, in the middle of the night. Nothing happens around here during the day.
    Firefighter/EMT Mitch Cowen
    Hose Co. 1 1st Lieutenant
    Randolph Fire Co. Inc

Cool

My company uses the Length of Service Awards Program (LOSAP) to determine eligibility. We don't have a minimum number of calls to run, but we have nightly duty crews and monthly sleep in requirements (we don't respond from home) to meet. This year we are on pace to surpass 3600 calls and I will have responded to approximately 700+. Yes, I'm single and spend a little more than the minimum time required at the firehouse. Our top responder was on over 1000 calls- yes, he is single AND a live-in! Take care and be safe.
    Phil Clinard
    Laurel VFD
    Prince George's Co Sta 10
    Laurel, MD
    www.laurelvfd.org

Fyrefyghter10: I go to C.B. West. Yeah I heared of Truman. I run with 29(warrington).

Forum Member

Talking

out of about 2000 dont have exact numeber yet i ran 350. this is with going to school for 8 weeks at a time. so for every 16 week period i am home 8 so i run alot during that time.
    i am the second highest on the responce list the highest beat me by 20 calls.
    2197 10-8 stay safe, stay healthy, have fun
    9-11-01 they gave there all lets not forget

Angry

I try to make as many as possable we are a fire and rescue dept we have around 55 fires a year and around 40 wrecks out of all of them I have only missed 3 I live in a small town and all of us try to make as many as possable.

I know it sux to miss a call believe me I have been there and done that. As a volunteer we cant make them all due to work, family, and other obligations. Just keep in mind that when you do make a call you are doing what you love to do and do the job well. You will miss calls that is un-avoidable but remember the alarms never stops and there will be many more times to do you duty and remain proud that you can.

God Bless America and those who protect it.

Let's see, I work an average of 4 days on, 2 off, with a normal shift running 12-14 hours at my unit. I live about 50 minutes from my installation, sometimes get lucky catching a call on the way home by the station. (I swear that people will NOT schedule their accidents, fires, and rescues during my time OFF!!!!
    At any rate, I catch what I can, and pray for the guys who catch what I can't.
    Oklahoma Bound!

Thread Information