Post Annual Training Requirements

I hope the people in this forum can help give me some input on a matter we are studing. How many training hours are your volunteers required to maintain each year in order to stay active. Thanks in advance for your input.

33% of the regular monthly training offered. That's a whopping 8 hours or so per year.
    _________DILLIGAF

Cool

i'm not sure about training hours but we are required to attend half of our monthly meetings, meet a quota for runs every month, and fundraising hours.

IACOJ Agitator

Each person has to make 50% of drills each quarter...let's guesstimate 2hrs per drill and roughly 48 drills per year...probably around 48hrs/yr required for training...most of our drill days have morning and night drill, both are the same and you only have to make one or the other but you can attend both and get credit for both.

[ 12-17-2001: Message edited by: Adze ]

IACOJ Agitator
    Fightin' Da Man Since '78!

MembersZone Subscriber

My Rescue Squad requires 60 hours per year, 15 per quarter. That's to show up and tote equipment. We have different (higher)requirements for different specialties and segregate it by awareness, operations and technician levels to recognize NFPA standards.

We also require that 50% of those hours are through department training. We had an issue with career people getting training on the job and sending those hours in, but never coming to train with the team.

My FD requires 36 hours annually..but to be active you have to put in 50% of training (which is every Monday night).

In both cases the vast majority of people put in well over their minimum.
    Susan Lounsbury
    Winston-Salem Rescue Squad
    Griffith Volunteer FD

Forum Member

12 Hours in-house and 12 hours outside of the department annually. Consideration has been given for more training at one or the other to compensate for any shortage one way or the other. (Fortunately for me!)
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

"People don't care what you know... until they know that you care." - Scott Bolleter

Arrow

Using the XXX Fire Company Points System, earn a minimum of 125 points overall.
    Complete a minimum of 20 hours training per year. (1 point per hour)
    Attend 4 of the regular company meetings each year. (1 point per meeting)
    Accumulate a minimum of 75 points for response to alarms. (1 point per alarm)

This is required just to maintain active status.
    Keep Safe!

At my station(I am a vollie medic only)we require 80% attendance in monthly EMS trainings,yearly standing orders and physical agility, valid cards and 24 hours per month in house.Easy and simple.

Melanie RN/NREMTP

FIGJAM

We run the 60% rule-
    60% of calls
    60% of training

Its busy, but its fun! We have a pretty high turn over though, which in part is no doubt due to the time needed to participate.
    Luke

Forum Member

Our SOP only recommends taking at least one 16 hour ark fire academy course per year. It is almost like pulling teeth to get some people to take any classes. Since before our ISO rerating last march, I have been documenting all in house/ company training with a sign in sheet that has the subject, time spent and materials and resources used. I just finished our end of year stats this moring and our 16 member volunteer dept had 586 man hours of company training, 296 man hours of outside source training,( Fire academy, Dept of emergency management, internet courses, etc.) and 557 man hours at the weekly drills/meetings we have. our average attendance at weekly meetings is 86.4percent and the average response for all calls is 72.22 percent. We recommend all personel make 70 percent of the meetings, and try for 70 percent of the calls.
    This was our slowest year for calls in a long time, only had 96 total. and EMS-first responder and auto accidents made up almost 80 percent of the total. we spent 61.3 hours at calls for 738 total man hours and only ran 850 miles this year.
    I also started a sign in log for everyone to sign in when they are On duty. we had 1437.6 hours logged on duty. but many were missed because lots of folks forgot to punch in.
    I have been working on getting it Mandatory to make 30 hours of Academy training per year( which is free in Arkansas) and wish we could get close to 10 hours per month of company training, which is half of what it takes for maximum ISO points in that area.
    Forget the points , I just want everyone to have as much training as possible so they can respond and react properly and maybe help keep themselves alive and unhurt and the public as well.
    It sometimes seems like it would be easier to pull someones teeth than to get them to give up a weekend a year for training.
    I keep trying to set an example every year and it does keep a handfull of our folks into some training, but like this year, out of the 296 hours of outside training, I had 128 of that myself, one guy had 64 , his wife had 48 then the next guy had 12 and it drops off quick after that.
    One thing i always here is . if you try to make training or anything else mandatory, then people will quit. well maybe so, but if they arent willing to keep themselves trained at least to a minimum, shouldnt they move on?
    Sorry about the rant, I hope everyone has a happy, healthy and prosperous new year.
    Stay Safe Out There
    Capt.Tyler Sitzer, Weiner Vol Fire & Rescue
    www.fire-ems.net/firedept/view/WeinerAR

50% of the drills, including the 12 mandatory for the year.

Thanks for all the input from your departments. We require members to obtain 48 hours per year of training. And make 50% of calls. Although several including myself feel this not enough training there are still more that complain that we require to much training for our volunteers. We are a combination department and the paid personnel are required to maintain 240 hours per year. Funny how the same ones that complain that 48 hours training is too much are the same ones that complain that the paid firefighters do not respect them.

Forum Member

240 hrs does sound like alot but look at the amount of time they are at the FD. Take the 24 on 72 off schedule. Thats 91 days/yr or 2184 hrs. A 2.6 hr drill on each shift comes to 236.6 hrs. With the amount of time they spend there 240 hrs should be able to be done standing on their heads. The OSHA training that I am required to take every year has not changed since it started. It is 8 of the most boring hrs in the world.
    Stephen J Bourassa
    Latham FD (NY)
    member since 1969
    challenge competitor since 1993

MembersZone Subscriber

Question

I thought that NFPA required that we train for at least 48hrs a year? At least that the guidlines that we go by!
    Joel

Lets never forget the events of 9-11

If you sent us to HELL, WE'D PUT IT OUT!!

**And of course these are only my opinion and only mine. Don't take it out on anyone else but me.**

MembersZone Subscriber

Question

I thought that NFPA required that we train for at least 48hrs a year? At least that the guidlines that we go by!
    Joel

Lets never forget the events of 9-11

If you sent us to HELL, WE'D PUT IT OUT!!

**And of course these are only my opinion and only mine. Don't take it out on anyone else but me.**

We require 12 hrs. of training a year, now the last few years we was kinda leanyent on that, last year we stuck to it, and if you didn't meet it you got a letter stating that your training hrs. wasn't up to dept. standards and you had two months to start changing that. We have training every mon. night for about 3 hrs. each time, now figure that up minus the monthly business meetings so that would be approx. 120 hrs a year of training and we still had some that made only 2 hrs. and a few that didn't make any. We also have duty weekends, which require you to be around for your weekend. You have to check out the trucks sometime on your weekend to be marked present for that weekend. They are every 3rd. weekend, it used to be every 4th weekend, but people stopped showing up. Our policy states that you can miss up to 4 assigned duty weekends per year. If you miss more than that the same thing happens that you get a letter. lately it has been working.

Talking

Established by the personnel board 36 hours a year for firefighters, additional 40 for first responder/firefighter status, and an additional 36 for officer status. No requirement for incident response but we have never had a problem here. For 2001 we had an average of 110 but still had to release some members for failure to participate
    "Don't be afraid to ask stupid questions, they are a lot easier to handle than dumb mistakes"
    Author Unknown

At our Dept. we have to complete 12 hrs. of training a year min. 6 hours of those are mandatory subjects that our training comitee sets. You must also attend at least 3 of our monthly meetings. exceptions can be made I.E.: military service or fmily illness etc. are reasons for being excused of those hours. We also get a 1/2 an hour of training at each monthly meeting when we go over the run reports for the month. Hope this helpes you some.

The Spark

My Department requires 15 hrs. of training anually to remain active in the dept. That is the required 8 hrs. of OSHA trainig plus 7 hrs. additional training. To be an interior firefighter you need the OSHA training plus the following: New York State Mask Confidence, NYS Firefighter Survival, CPR-D, and 15 hours of training above the required OSHA training. Except for the CPR you must refresh every year in Mask Confidence and FF Survival. To be on the FAST team you also need NYS FAST Tactics along with the above classes, plus refresh every year. This is something new and we have already lost 3 members, and at least 6 other interior firefighters are talking about giving up there interior status and becoming drivers or resigning altogether.
    The Fire Chief is a career ff, so we have to do everything they do at "work".
    LEATHER FOREVER

MembersZone Subscriber

Our department requires 12 hrs. training a year. Can be done in house or at one of the regional schools. You can get your yearly training done in one weekend, and we still had problems with members not getting their traing in. We started cleaning house and had to let a few go.

My Dept last yr (Members) put in over 2500 hrs training (total combined) of 28 active members there is 6 emt-a's 2 paramedics, 1 paramedic intructor/EMS supervisor. We put on in house FF pt1,2 Pump A. And several other courses like C-3-4-5, bldg construction, vehicle extrication and trench rescue,preplanning, Fire attack strategies,tactics and command, farm rescue to name a few. And we meet every Wednesday night, All members have a min of pt 1,2 and pump A. Complete CPR and min of standard Fisrt aid. About 1/3 have EMR status. Again about 1/3 have NFPA 1001 certification. All are volunteers and only 4 work in the EMS/Fire field. The rest are businessmen, salesmen, mechanics, teachers, students, etc. even had 1 doctor for about 8 yrs.
    Some days yer the fire hydrant and some days yer the dog.

Forum Member

We require that all Firefighters in my volunteer dept. get 125 hours of training per year. 8 hours are CPR training, and 8 hours are Haz Mat Awareness training.

Thread Information