Post Hide-Away strobe package

I just purchased a 90 watt pack with 4 hide aways. I need all the help I can get installing this. I will be installing this on my Ford Explorer. I need to know optimal mounting places for the strobe pack. I could also use help on the actual drilling of the tail light lenses. I read on a website that over 10 watts per channel will melt some taillights, does anyone know if this is true for explorers as I will be running 20 watts per outlet? thanks for your help

Forum Member

Question

How much did it cost?
    IAFF member, Love this job! Remember the oath!

Ive put strobes in the last 3 vehicles taillights without a problem. Do the strobes really heat up? I usually put the clear strobes in the brake light area (If you're allowed red strobes) or blue in the back up light. Haven't had a problem drilling, just use a hole saw kit and try to drill the flatspot.

about the melting, how long does it take to get to where your going with your lights on? im sure prolonged use like a chief's car might spark some concern.

a nice thing about explorers and using strobe packs is that if you put them in the upper oustide side/directional lenses they will give you "warning power" from the front and on the sides for going through intersections
    " truck till the casket drops "

www.lynbrookfd.org

My views and opinions do not represent the views and standards of the Department or Company that I belong to.

About a 1 min ride to station, but then at some FA calls they will run for about 20 min... On a second note.. if i have a 90 watt powerpak 6 outlet and only have 4 heads plugged in, does that mean they will run at 15 watts each or 23 watts each? Also is there anything I can do to make the power less with only 4 heads installed if they run at 23 watts?

You won't melt the lenses, strobe tubes run nowhere near as warm as halogens, their "on" time is FAR less then you imagine.
    There are three truths in life:

1. Jews do not recognize Jesus as the Messiah.
    2. Protestants do not recognize the Pope as the leader of the Christian faith.
    3. Two Baptists do not recognize each other in the liquor store.

You won't melt your lenses. Like stated before, if you want red, install in the brake lamp housing. If you want blue or white, install in the backup light housing. Make sure, thought, that before you drill the hole that the location will not interfere with the re-installation of the lamp. Usually there is not much room. Use a 1" hole saw to drill the holes.

On mounting the power supply, make sure that you mount it in a dry location and that it is situated such that the cables will reach from front and rear. You can purchase extension cables but they are costly. The cable must be shielded due to the high frequency the strobes run off of.

Hope this helps. Drop me a note if you have any other questions and I will be glad to help!
    Begin with the end in mind.

Be safe out there!!

Question

I can't help myself, I just had to reply!!!
    In reply tp KiethA8 who typed

How much did it cost?
    --------------------

IAFF member, Love this job! Hate SCABS!

If he hates SCABS so much why do you reckon he lives in one of the OLDEST volunteer covered districts in New England Area...Wethersfield, CT

Jason Oedel
    Captain
    Troutville "VOLUNTEER" Fire Department
    Virginia

www.tvfd.org

Wehtersfield Website.
    http://www.wvfd.org/

[ 12-23-2001: Message edited by: CaptainWagon2 ]

Also, does any1 know what is the max watts the whelen dashmiser and whelen dash king will operate at without blowing. Also if I have a 20 watt strobe and operate it at 23 watts, will it blow? How much over the max wattage can you go without doing any real harm?

Hey Bill, go ahead with your question, or was the last one you posted it?
    Begin with the end in mind.

Be safe out there!!

Forum Member

If it's whelen equipment just plug it in and run it.90 watt 6 outlet is 15 watts per outlet,the box will do the thinking,just wire it up turn it on and DON"T LOOK INTO the light.Just remember for best performance keep your Whelen system all Whelen.T.C.

Forum Member

Wink

CaptainWagon2:
    Don't take offense to that signature. I guess you're going to get the credit for me to change it after all this time. Too many people get the wrong impression when they read it. The word "Scab" when I use it refers to paid guys who volunteer. I have nothing against volunteers themselves. I think it's a great way to give back to your community. The problem is most volunteers who are not union members don't really understand it. The truth is 75% of paid guys started out as volunteers and I have no problem with that. It's the hipicrits who took an oath when they joined the union that get me. But that debate is too long to get in to now. And by the way I no longer live in Wethersfield, but they are the oldest volunteer fire dept. in New England and I think in the top 5 oldest in the country. Sorry this offended you captain but it isn't dirrected towards you (unless you are a paid guy who volunteers).
    -Keith

Forum Member

Now lessee,the Chief in my second dept. is a PAID guy in Portland.One of my steadiest hands downtown is also a PAID guy from Portland,yet both volunteer in their off hours.Now by your standards that makes them scabs.Why don't you come up here and call either of these fine gentlemen a Scab or better yet both at once.I'm reasonably sure either one could knock you into low orbit over Mars.It's narrow thinking people like you that fan these paid/vollie wars.There aren't a whole lot of "paid" protecting this State. T.C.

Forum Member

Bill -

On your question about what output you will get if you run 4 strobes from a 6 port power supply. Look at the specs on your power supply. The one I have (from Nova Electronics) has a load balancing feature that directs the same wattage to each port regardless of whether I have all or some lights on. This is also helpful should a strobe head blow without you knowing it.

As far as installation location, I have an extended cab pickup and I mounted the Power Supply behind my driver's seat. I affixed a thin sheet of plywood to the floor and attached the power supply and a protective cover to it. I found it was a nice central location to get the cables to both the front and rear of my vehicle.

As far as drilling goes, I can't help you since I installed MicroThins in both front and rear so all I had to do was attach the brackets to my grill and bumper.

Good luck (and be patient!)

Forum Member

Rescue101:
    Why the violence? You need to relax pal! I know your area very well and understand the demographics. As a matter of fact I tested for Portland Fire and had a job offer, but I couldn't afford the pay cut. So I stayed in Connecticut. But you do live in one of the nicest areas of the country. Last I knew your area wasn't hurting for voly's though.
    Do you know the oath? Don't you think it's hypocritical to do the job for free and fight for a pay raise in the next town? What if you got injured at a voly fire and missed time from your paid dept.? And your paid dept. has to pay overtime to replace you and pay you sick leave on top of it. Is that being loyal to your employer (the one that puts food on the table and pays the mortgage)? Then what about H&H? Who pays that benefit? Not the voly town! So who suffers? Why are taxes so high in the city? Why is there friction between the brass and the labor?
    I have nothing against volunteers. I was one myself and so were 75% or more of the other paid guys. But I feel that it's morally wrong to voly as a paid guy and it's not that the volys are taking jobs away. Well in Connecticut it sometimes is but, in places like Maine there are towns that will never be paid. And they shouldn't be paid because of call volume or adequate man power. But in my neck of the woods there are alot of combo depts that have paid guys volunteering and it's a direct conflict of interest. And it's not fair to the city or the union. It definately weakens the union when negotiations come around and the city knows guys are scabing.
    I apologize for having this in the volunteer forum. But I had to respond.

Forum Member

KeithA8,Sorry for the blast bud,bad day at the office.I find your comment on the pay cut interesting.Since it costs about three times as much to live in Conn. as it does Me. how much of a drop in your standard of living do you think you'd really experience?I got relatives in Conn. but you couldn't pay me enough to live there.My semi-annual visits are a constant reminder of why I got out of the heavy transport game.Conn. HATES TRUCKS!T.C.

Forum Member

Wink

Rescua101:
    Well the cost of living I don't think is a third but it is cheaper. The only thing cheaper is housing. Vehicles cost the same, and food, and utilities, and clothing. I have 12 acres in Alfred Maine where I was going to build a house if I took the job. But the starting pay at the time was 19k and I make 60k here in Connecticut. And my wife earns about $22 bucks an hour in CT, but in ME she would get $9 bucks an hour for the same position. So it didn't add up for us. We go to Maine all the time though. As a matter of fact I'm going monday to the "county" for a week. I also have a cousin in Freeport who has a horse ranch that I visit all the time. You are right though, my house in Connecticut is worth 300k and in Maine it would be about 175k - so it might balance out for some people. I can't complain about where I live, (it's not Maine) but it's real nice.

Have a nice day!!! Maybe I'll pass you on the highway.

Forum Member

Back to the original question...
    I was wondering how you cope with some of the complex reflectors in today's head/tail light assemblies when drilling your mounting holes. I've considered installing hideaway strobes in my new Trailblazer, but it looks like it would be a nightmare with all the reflector surfaces in the assemblies.

Forum Member

question, Why do vol. spend so much money on lights that really do nothing, (Oh yeah, I am guilty.) But, why do we do it. My old lady asks this every time I put a light in my car or someone elses.
    Proud to be IACOJ Illinois Chapter--Deemed "Crustworthy" Jan, 2003

Temporarily/No Longer Active

Unhappy

KEITHA8: ". . . but I feel it is MORALLY WRONG to voly" as a paid f.f. AND " . . . a direct CONFLICT OF INTEREST . . . "
    WELL! Let me see you standing on the side of the road with a flat tire Boy! Or God forbid your house burnin' down!!! I'll just stand back an' watch YOU suffer!
    I am NOT a vollentire f.f., BUT if MY nieghbors house is on fire I would ANYTHING I could to help 'em!!!!!!!!!!
    So YOU would just stand there an' say ". . . I'll help ya' as soon as ya' PAY me???" Dude, get a HEART!!!! While I have GREAT respect for "paid" f.f's, I have GREATER respect for vollentiers!!!
    Maybe this is a "concept" you can't understand; to HELP your fellow man just because you CAN!!! You sound like a REAL prince KeithA8, bet you feel justified in beatin' your wife just 'cuse the pork chops weren't done to "your likin' ", huh?
    Maybe you should spend a little bit more time sittin' in the pew than on the bar stool at the local Union hall, huh???
    NOTHING like SERVING your fellow man for FREE!!!!!!!! You need to find that your HEART is MORE imporant than your WALLET!!!!!!

Forum Member

[quote] Maybe you should spend a little bit more time sittin' in the pew than on the bar stool at the local Union hall, huh???

Maybe we should spend a little more time paying attention to the topic of the post and trying to stick to it instead of turning every discussion into a volly vs. paid ****ing match!!

s

[ 01-16-2002: Message edited by: BillYork498 ]

Forum Member

Berkut,Depends on where you want your light dispersion where you put the hole.Generally you put it in line with the extising lamp as close as possible without touching the existing lamp.Whelen sends an excellent guide with their lamp assemblies.The new modules can be bothersome at times to find enough room for the tube and wiring to fit.Do lots of measuring twice,drill the hole ONCE. T.C.

Temporarily/No Longer Active

FFTrainer: I didn't start a "****ing match." KeithA8 said "The word 'Scab' when I use it refers to paid guys who volunteer."
    Hey, don't Kill the messagenger, I was just responding to a guy who WAS attacking "volly's" when the SUBJECT WASstrobe lights!!!
    Should KeithA8 get a "pass" just'cause HE is a "PAID" f.f. & "GOOD UNION MEMBER" and happens to "stray's off the toppic??? FFT, your fat butt must be placed right next to Keith's on one of them Union hall bar stools!

Be safe out there ya'll!!!

Forum Member

Denver -- never accused YOU of starting the ****ing match but you happened to have a good quote to pick out.

My comment was aimed at all who had posted previous to mine and who wanted to chime in later. It was a reminder that this topic is not a vol vs. career debate it is a BROTHER looking for advice on a strobe package. ** Newsflash ** This is something we do in the fire service -- help each other out not post inflammatory responses to posts that we didn't even understand.

Not sure why I am even wasting my time on this justification to you since you seem about as reasonable and mature as my 3 year old nephew.
    Maybe I can go back to sitting on my fat butt at the union hall next to Keith.

Two problems with that:
    1. I don't know Keith

2. Even if I did know him, I'm not in Keith's union so I don't think I would be allowed in! Although maybe I would be since we are all in one big union called the fire service, that's why we call each other brother. Grow up and realize that!

By the way, don't take everything so personally, the fire service will kill you if you do!

Thread Information