Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unhappy needing some help please

Hi all
    my name is terry am the Asst. Chief at a very small volunteer fire dept in Tenn.(up and running for 4 months), and I could use some help . Have been a vol. for 5 years. We had to start up this fire dept because it was 20 miles and up a very large mt. to the nearst fire dept.
    My first question is how much hose do you need to pass ISO ? We have 800 feet of 11/2 450 feet of 21/2 and 400 feet of 3in on the pumper and 150 feet of 11/2 and 400 feet of 21/2 on the tanker.
    I would ask my chief who is a full time chief in a town of about 45,000 people, but he was called to atcive duty (air guard) last week and left me the paper work to do. I have got most of it done but did not know the min. amount of hose needed to pass. We cover about 400 homes in our area.
    Second problem if someone knows of a dept. selling a good used folding tank for a good price. We sure would be thankful for any help anybody could give us.
    turkeyterry
    (that is my name at the dept.it could be worse)

MembersZone Subscriber

Don't know much about ISO, so I'll let others field that one.

As far as obtaining equipment, check with the guys atHelping Our Own. They do a lot of good for small VFDs.

We formed up five years ago with a few guys and a brush truck we kept in the Chief's barn. It's been a long, uphill battle but well worth it.

Good luck with your endeavor.
    Bryan Beall
    Silver City, Oklahoma USA

Lightbulb

turkeyterry, I have a paper somewhere that has that info. as soon as I find it, maybe tonight, then I will post the info I have

Be safe D308

Thumbs up

O.K. Here is what I have:

200' of 1" booster hose(extra preconnect 1.5" will count)

400' minimum of 2, 2.5, 3" supply hose

800' minimum of 2, 2.5, 3" or larger supply hose

200' minimum of spare large hose carried or in the station

400' 1.5 or 1.75" carried(I do not know if it must be preconnected ours is)

200' 1.5 or 1.75" spare in the station or on the truck

This paper sums it up as 600' of attack line, 200' of small line, 200' of large line spare or on the truck, and 1200' of supply line.

If you have any questions just post back or email me(the address is in my profile on top of each post) and if possible I will help.

Hope the info helps
    D308

HEY GUYS
    I would just like to say thank you for all your help.
    turkeyterry

Terry,
    On a whim I did a quick 'net search on ISO.

(You'd be amased at what you can find on the internet if you take the time to look - but that's a whole new topic for another day )

Anyway - I didn't find any specific ISO requirements, but I did find these 2 related web sites that may be (or become) of use to you (The second of which I think you will find more useful).

http://www.iso.com
    and
    http://www.isomitigation.com

These are actual ISO web sites, not sites created by third party groups / consultants.

Good luck with your ISO project and very best of luck in getting & keeping your Dept. up and running.

Take Care - Stay Safe - God Bless
    Stephen
    FF/Paramedic
    Take Care - Stay Safe - God Bless
    Stephen
    FF/Paramedic
    Instructor

Banned

? We have 800 feet of 11/2 450 feet of 21/2 and 400 feet of 3in on the pumper and 150 feet of 11/2 and 400 feet of 21/2 on the tanker.

With that much hose, the best you can score on your engine and tanker and fire stations is 33%, assuming you carry everything else on the ISO list. If not you'll score even less. You need 500 feet of 2", 2 1/2", or 3" hose and 800 feet of 2" or larger hose for the chance to score 100%

Here is a free book to answer your questions about all the hidden rules in ISO

www.isoslayer.com

Written by a consultant who has been kicking ISO tail for years.

[quote]Originally posted by the7tower:
    [QBHere is a free book to answer your questions about all the hidden rules in ISO

www.isoslayer.com

Written by a consultant who has been kicking ISO tail for years.[/QB]

And in case you haven't figured it out yet... the author is also the poster. Not a bad read, but it sure isn't gospel! Contact your local ISO people for some advise also.
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

"People don't care what you know... until they know that you care." - Scott Bolleter

Terry, if you'd be willing to pay the shipping, I could set you up with a few hundred feet of 2-1/2", about 100' 1-1/2". I don't know what it would cost, but we're not using it and youre welcome to it.

Banned

Even with a fire truck, the right amount of hose, stations and volunteers you may not be able to get anything but a Class 10.

*You a map showing your boundaries of response.
    *A piece of paper for proof that some political enity in charge of your area says you are the fire department and spells out the response area.
    *You need a way to get a hold of your volunteers, pagers, phone ringer, siren etc.
    *A method for someone to answer calls and alert you.
    *Proof of training of at least 2 hours every other month.
    *Proof 4 firefighters respond on every structure fire.
    *Proof of apparatus maintenance.
    *A heated structure to park the vehicles, you don't have to own thebuilding bu have written authorization to use it.

Without fire hydrants the best grade you can get is a Class 9 unless you canprove you can move 200 gpm or 250 gpm for 20 or 120 minutes respectively.

To be a Class 9 you need at least:

You’ll need a fire truck with the following minimum specifications; a 300 gallon tank and a 50 gpm pump at 150 psi. You’ll also need 70% of the following; provide 250 feet of any size hose, a fog nozzle, two fire extinguishers, a roof ladder and a 24’ ladder, one axe, a pike pole, a bolt cutter, a claw tool, a crow bar, two flashlights.

In your state 36% if the FD's have Class 9's or worse.

With your tanker maybe you can qualify for a Dwelling 8 five miles in all directions from your station (the key is your two rigs need 4000 gallons of water total between them) and a Class 9 for 10 miles in all directions. Make sure you tell the rater you want to give it a try.

A class 8 will put you in the top 55% of FD's in the state and nationally.

Insurance rates for a $100,000 home will be:

Brick Frame
    Class 10 $1342 $1551
    Class 9 $843 $977
    Class 8 $719 $853
    Class 7 $612 $676

Forum Member
    Chief Frank Rizzio
    Pea Ridge Fire Dept.
    Pea Ridge AR. 72751

Talking

I would just like to say you guys are great!
    Have been reading stuff on iso for the last two hours. Between what you all have posted and what i have read i think with we can got class 9. (that is what all the vol.FD are in my area)
    For my self and the members of are FD we thank you. Quint1driver yes we would like to have the hose and would be more then happy to pay for the shipping all try to set something with you.

TURKEYTERRY

Banned

Unfortunately the ISO web site does not talk abot Dwelling 8, but the free book does. GO out and practice the evolution. I you have the Class 9 stuff you can get a Class 8 immediately. Don't drag it out. Email ISO with a chiefs signature and tell them you are a new district. And you want to take a Dwelling 8 test. They have 45 days to answer you and in just 6 months you'll see a 30% drop in insurance rates. 78 square miles of your district will instantly see a difference in insurance rates.

the7tower
    I just got all the paper work from iso last week. Can i still put in for class 8?

turkeyterry

Banned

No it is not to late, Call or email and ask for them to fax the Dwelling 8 rules. Start practicing.

Practicing That we can do!
    are big problem is fire hydrants. We have four in are area. Are area covers about 15 sq.miles. Most of it woods

Turkeyterry

Question

Does the dwelling 8 apply in Tenn? I asked ISO about it once. The reply I got was it's only used in a few western ststes.

Banned

are big problem is fire hydrants. We have four in are area. Are area covers about 15 sq.miles. Most of it woods

Then here is what you do, One get a hydrant rating grade. Two get the rest of the district and you want to call it "OPA" a Dwelling 8 for 5 miles inall directions from your station and a Class 9 for 10 miles in all directions.

Tell me about your tanker. PUmp and tank, hose carried etc.

Also find ot the water storage, maximum day consumption and the size of all the pumps on your water system.

FO2, you should have access to a 8b rating shortly with the same rules. You can read about in in the book.

[ 12-28-2001: Message edited by: the7tower ]

While we are on this topic. Our department recently went from a 9 to a 7 after our last visit from ISO. We had planned on a big announcement to the public telling them of the great savings they could expect. When we contacted the 3 major insurance compmays in the area all of them said they offered no rate reductions until we got to class 4. Everyone from class 5 thru class 9 paid the same. Does that make any since???

Thnaks,

Banned

That is funny, Smythe County, Wells College og the U of VA and many others have all documented savings. Dozens even list it on their web pages.

Thread Information