Post Lighting a car...

Hey, does anyone have any suggestions for emergency lights on a dodge intrepid? I need to be seen, but cheap. Currently I just have a Hotshot II, and was considering a flash mirror for it. Thanks for any suggestions!

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking

Alternating headlights are cheap, easy and effective.
    Bryan Beall
    Silver City, Oklahoma USA

try holding a lit flare out the window while responding, or better yet set your car on fire before responding... im sure it will be a huge improvement on the looks of that intrepid
    " truck till the casket drops "

www.lynbrookfd.org

My views and opinions do not represent the views and standards of the Department or Company that I belong to.

Forum Member

beckjhong,
    I would go with either a dashlight w/ a flash mirror or interior strobes. I've seen in Galls a Dual Speed dash light with flash mirror for just over $100. Sounds like a good deal to me.

code_blue81
    Jeremy Culver
    IACOJ Bureau of EMS

These views are my own and do not represent the views or opinions of anyambulance service that I am affiliated with.

Help our fellow firefighters.
    www.helpingourown.com
    "Firefighters Helping Firefighters"

Forum Member

Hell, most people have a hard time seeing a 5 ton fire engine with 8 different sets of emergency lights, 2 sirens and 4 air horns comming down the road.... good luck making that intrepid stand out....

As for me, I will stick to responding on the apparatus (since I only live 2 blocks from the station).
    "No one ever called the Fire Department for doing something smart..."

Talking

Thanks for all the replies! I think, however, that I'm going to go with driving with the lit flare out my window. Definitly the most creative.

Forum Member

I used to have a 94 Intrepid. I put white Hideaway strobes in the corner lights and I had a Whelen dashmiser that I pulled the bulbs out of and I put a bulb in each corner of the dash. Never had any problems with being visible.....
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

I would go with the mirror on the light you have and then put alternating headlights on the car. This will give a cop car like apperance and they will pull over better for you than the fire truck or ambulance. At least this has been my experience with the lights.

hope the info helps.
    D308

Forum Member

Make sure you are legal. My warning system consists of a FedSig Mini-jet (all red), wig-wags, and a FS MS4000 siren. Works great! This is all on a 98 Ford Ranger. Don't skimp, but dont over do it.

As to the Intrepid, I would get a six strobe Whelen series 94 with a 6 lamp traffic arrow on the back, wig-wags on the headlights and a good siren.

Be safe and have fun!
    Gabriel
    FF/EMT
    Nevada, Missouri
    1*

Lightbulb

Just get your old lady to hang her bosoms out the window and scream real loud going down the road!

FIGJAM

Can you guys really put lights and sirens on your own cars and use them?

That's amazing!

What about insurance?

What restrictions, in terms of breaking road laws?

Why not respond to the station and get the truck?

Doesn't it just add to the chance of an accident involving a vehicl responding to a scene under lights and sirens status?
    Luke

MembersZone Subscriber

Lutan,

Being able to operate emergency warning equipment on personal vehicles varies from state to state in the U.S., as do the liberties granted with the use of that warning equipment.

In some states, a person can operate full lights and sirens on a personal vehicle. Some states allow only a "courtesy light" which gives other motorists the option of yielding to your vehicle. Somes states (like Oklahoma) don't allow emergency lights and sirens on personal vehicles.

Yes, your insurance will go up if they find out you have emergency lights on your vehicle. Of course, mine will go up if they find out I use my vehicle to respond to the station even though I operate it in the same manner driving to the station as I do any other time.

Some volunteer departments (like mine) have firefighters respond to the station. Others have their firefighters respond to the incident. One local department changed their policy from responding to the scene when, on a house fire, all the firefighters showed up at the scene and no one brought any trucks!

Even if Oklahoma allowed volunteer firefighters to have lights on their personal vehicles, I wouldn't use them due to the fact that our area is very rural and it is unlikely that it would save me any time getting to the station.

[ 01-01-2002: Message edited by: Silver City 4 ]

Bryan Beall
    Silver City, Oklahoma USA

Forum Member

Talking

LOL!!!
    IAFF member, Love this job! Remember the oath!

Thread Information