Post hose drying tower

Our department is considering building a hose drying tower. Anyone have any plans or specs for such construction?

Ask yourselves this first,

Do we really need the tower ? Do we really dry that much hose ? I'm not trying to be a wise guy but we considered a hose tower in the construction of our new station scheduled to be going under construction this March. ~ We've found that laying the hose out in an accordian fashion along the engine bay walls does the trick Our L.D.H. is Rubber and goes right back on the trucks after we use or Steam Clean it. ~ Most of our Attack Lines are rubber jacketed also but for the little bit of cotton jacketed we still have like I said stand it up on its sides in an accordian fashion and let it stand about a day or so ~ It may not be a nesesity for a hose tower depending on the amount of hose you dry
    ***The Opinions expressed here are strictly my own and do not reflect those of the Department to which I am a Member ! ***

Stratford Fire Co. # 1.."Any Job ~ Any Place ~ Any Time"

Check us Out www.stratfordfire.com

Forum Member

Danny,
    I dont know if you have ever seen our hose tower ,but it works good and i think it didnt cost that much. If you want to come see it , it is on the west side of our station. Why dont you come visit us on Thursday ,Feb 7th at the NEArk FF asso quarterly meeting,which we are hosting this time,located at the Rice Festival building across the street from the station, starts at 7 and includes a steak dinner. We usually have the largest crowd for any of these meetings, Usually at least 125 people. I wonder if it has to do with our steaks?. If you want to come, the meal is on me, I will put you down as our guest. You can also look at our hose washing trough we built, it work great and if we dont have very many hoses to dry, we stand them on their side like Brian said , and leave them in the trough. it is on one side of our engine bay and is about 30 feet long, and about 3 feet wide, has a faucet on the high end and a sink with a drain on the other end. it wasnt very expensive either and it can also be used to wash and dry any other equip or gear. (Turnouts, SCBA, etc..)
    Capt Tyler Sitzer,
    Weiner Vol Fire & Rescue Dept.
    www.fire-ems.net/firedept/view/WeinerAR

Favorite "Hose Tower" I've seen for simplicity was one in California -- a Telephone pole with a crossarm with pulleys and ropes.

Of course that wouldn't work for us...too much freezing weather or rain (usually) up here in New England. But in a fairly mild climate, I thought that was a neat way to do it. We do it the way Brian does.

Plus the station was so small (maybe two trucks...if you squeeze walking between them!), they may not have room inside to flake hose out.
    IACOJ Canine Officer
    20/50

Danny,
    The thought of a hose tower brings me back to when I first started in the fire service and how much I used to hate climbing that tower to string the hose up properly. But, the darn thing works really well if your members remember where the hose is and if they can gat a couple members out to help string the hose and take it down and reload it or re-roll it.
    If you have a lot of calls that utilize a lot of hose then it would be beneficial, but if the call total is moderate at best, then maybe you should be interested in a hose rack that works on the same principle as the tower but it is located on the ground where there is less of the possibility for accidents and injuries. The other way to dry the hose is by installing an electric hose dryer or by string the hose on some chairs. Either method works. Good luck in whatever your department decides to utilize.

Forum Member

Of course you could always buy a couple of gas hose dryers instead.
    Stephen J Bourassa
    Latham FD (NY)
    member since 1969
    challenge competitor since 1993

Forum Member

In our old station, we had a rope and pulley system with wooden blocks on the end to loop the hose over. worked well. In our new station, (built 1996) we have a electric winch that raises and lowers a steel I beam on a track. just loop the hose over it and up she goes. it will hold about 18 lengths of 1 1/2.

We've had a hose washer and a couple of electric hose dryers for years. We don't have to use them that often, but they work great when we do.

We also have a turnout gear washer. You really need to properly decon gear so you don't take nasty stuff home with you, or keep it around to enjoy over and over again. PPE takes quite a while to dry. We are planning on utilizing the hase dryers as gear dryers by removing all of the hose racks except the top one and hanging gear on clothes hangers from it.

The old two birds, one stone principle.
    Lead by example...
    Safety first...
    Always

MembersZone Subscriber

We have a hose tower. It works on a pulley system and has steel hooks which we drape the hose over. It can hold between 10-20 lengths. Our station is pretty old though, so I have no idea as far as what the costs for building it were or if it was built with the new station, after the old one burnt down in 1927. It is behind our ladder bay and goes up one level and dips into the basement.

Temporarily/No Longer Active

You don't need a hose tower! You live in Arkansas don't you? Are there mountains all around you? If so find a state forest, look for one of those big lookouts they use for spotting forest fires. Bring a crane, steal the tower, and there. A hose drying tower/TV antenna for your station...

Thread Information