Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Car insurance

Post Car insurance

I was wondering if anyone has heard of this before? I called Gieco to get some new insurance for my personal truck. When we were chatting I let it slip out that I was a vol fire fighter. She asked if I had a light on my car. I said I did and was told that Gieco would not insure me solely for that reason.
    Has anyone else experanced a company refusing to insure a person just because they are a vol. fire fighter?

Thanks,
    Mike

i know that in MICH. you can not be refused insurance because of being a firefighter
    David R.Horner
    GrandTraverse Fife Lake Vol.

RJE

It all depends on the insurance company and the state.

Some states have specific laws concerning NOT denying vollies.

On the other hand - I had a policy cancelled because I MOVED.

I was transferred to CA, and the company that carried my car insurance didn't insure ANYONE in CA - they said it was too high risk.

Check laws where your from!

As the other posts have stated you SHOULD check the local laws. Many times these 800 # companies do whatever they want regardless of state law. And i might add there isn't a heck of a lot you or anybody else will be able to do about it.

I, being an insurance agent would caution you about getting insurance threw an 800# or over the net. No it is not a rocket science getting insurance but... If the company makes a mistake you don't have a second set of eyes trying to catch it. Also when it comes to claims, if there is a problem you don't have a person to talk to about it and that is pulling for you. Remember they are working for the company not for you.

Any way just a pet peve of mine, too many people have left us had a problem and come back with horror stories.

STAY SAFE AND HAPPY NEW YEAR

Forum Member

Lightbulb

Just a thought...

You may want to check on what coverage your fire company has on you. We have our company insurance through VFIS, and it covers our POV responses up to a point, from time of dispatch to time in station. If you're having problems with car insurance in general because you're a volunteer, and you can show that the response risk is either covered entirely by or shared with your company's insurance carrier, you might be able to swing coverage. If your problem is only with discounters like Geico and Safe Auto, then I'd advise you to just stay away from them. Actually, I'd advise that anyway...remember that you usually get what you pay for.

Forum Member

There is a company that covers only firefighters and LEO's. They are considerably cheaper than other main stream companies. They are California Casualty. Ask for the A plus program

[ 01-15-2002: Message edited by: eyecue ]

Forum Member

my experiance with Geico and many of the other #800 insurance co is they will not insure anyone.
    I have a couple of friends that tried these a few years ago they have perfect driving records and they were given some b.s. reason for not getting insurance, mostly because they don't insure under 21 or smoe crap like that.
    Proud to be IACOJ Illinois Chapter--Deemed "Crustworthy" Jan, 2003

Forum Member

Well one thing I have heard is that they won't cover you if you have a warning light on your vehicle. But I heard of a guy who raised heck cause his argument was that he did not have a warning light but a courtesy light. It was just a big ol' mess. Dont know what happened though. Personally I would never tell a insurance company that. What they don't know won't hurt them. So I would say keep your mouth shut. And if you get in a car accident rip off your light if you really want to. BUt thats tampering... I guess. So who knows.
    Firefighter/EMT Mitch Cowen
    Hose Co. 1 1st Lieutenant
    Randolph Fire Co. Inc

VFIS does not like to say so but they cover POV's during response if the POV has private insurance and the insurance company declines to pay because you where running emergency.

I had an accident running emergency with Geico and they paid with no complaint. The claims guy was very kind and even thanked me for volunteering(this was before 9-11)

Forum Member

Cool

I was on 2 different insurance company when I was a volly. First told me that since it was not permently mounted, ( light bar ) it was no problem. The other one said that it was no problem. Never had to use them so I dont know if what everyone told me was right.

Joe

I know bad spelling

MembersZone Subscriber

Interestingly enough, in some states, I believe it is also illegal for an insurance company to penalize you if you are involved in an accident while en route to an emergency, or returning from one.
    IAFF
    PFANJ

Thread Information