Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Question volunteer departments around St Louis

Does anyone know of a good volunteer department around the st louis area? I'm curretnly a full time firefighter that also has a volunteer branch and i really like the things they do. I might be moving back to St louis and i hear that it is pretty hard to get on with a full time department up there. i don't want to stop being a fire fighter there is nothing better in the world so if anyone has any info it would be greatly apperciated

Forum Member

Cool

What part of Stlouis county are you looking at, there are several good dept there and a bunch of depts in the serounding countys

Joe

i was looking in jefferson county and st louis county. Like crystal city, festus, imperial and anything in st louis county

i was looking in jefferson county and st louis county. Like crystal city, festus, imperial and anything in st louis county

Talking

There are many departments up in and around St. Louis.... You just have to pick...

I know many of them that due regular mutual aid with STL and cover stations for them on third alarm and higher assignments.... Both very highly trained and very experienced volunteers... Here are some below....

Creve C'oure (spelling)
    O'Fallon
    Clayton

There are many others that I don't really know of cuz I live in the southwest part of missouri on the other side of the state.... But I do know someone that just joined here that used to work on a dept. up there and I will see if he knows more....
    Adam Spencer
    Cadet Firefighter/First Responder
    Nixa Fire District
    Nixa MO 65714

Just wanted to set you straight on the voluntering in St. Louis. I started my career in St Louis County before moving to PA. There are no volunteer departments in St Louis. Ironically, Creve Coeur, as Mr Spencer referred to, is the highest paid department in the country right now. There are 43 departments in STL County and most of the departments in the surrounding counties are in the process of going to paid. (Thank God some places are improving). Now I have to tell that it is quite sad to find an ex career firefighter that wants to volunteer. I hope you never do it. If a community is unwilling to pay for fire protection then they don't deserve it.

To answer the last reply it is not that i want to be an ex career firefighter it that it is harder to get hired on with a department in Missouri. So because I love being a firefighter I thought to volunteer would be the next best thing. And if anyone knows of any departments hiring in St.Louis county or Jefferson County please let me know

As far as getting a job in St Louis, you did hear right in that it is very unfriendly to outsiders. You have to put yourself throught the St Louis County Fire Academy, for which there is a five year wait and costs about $2500. The city of St Louis hires like any other big city and you can apply there when they take aps. All 42 county departments have the same requirement that you go through the County academy. Your best chance is in the surrounding counties of St Charles, Jefferson and St Clair in Illinois. The paid departments in these counties include: High Ridge FPD, Rock Community FPD, Goldman FPD, St. Charles City FD, Central County FPD in St Peters, Cottleville FPD, O Fallon FPD, and in Illinois there is East St Louis FD, Belleville FD, Granite City FD, Sauget FD, Collinsville FD, Wood River FD, and maybe one or two that I can't think of right now. Good luck with finding a job, just don't lower yourself to giving away a service that should be paid for. Most vollies that profess to love the job so much are really in love with the adrenaline rush and driving like maniacs to a call. Considering that being a firefighter (career or volunteer) takes about 10 years off your life expectency, you can bet YOUR life that I would never do it if it wasn't feeding my family.

Here are most of the Fire Districts and cities around St. Louis. Go to the Misc and the links section.
    http://www.cce911.org/home.htm

Not to be a smart@ss, but I think I can help all of you. First, Creve Coeur isn't the highest paid any more. Chesterfield is higher, Fenton is up in that range as well. You are correct that there are no all volunteer depts in St Louis County, however, there are still some that take volunteers and usually hire from them. They are Metro West (formerly Ballwin), and Eureka. Both have an excellent reserve program and both will hire out of that pool as their first choice.

You are correct when you say that you have to have the St Louis County Fire Academy to work in St. Louis County. To get a non-sponsored spot in the class, you have to attend a lottery that they hold. They have this lottery whenever they start getting low on non sponsored people. I was there last year, there were over 500 of us for 200 numbers.

Again, I am not trying to make anyone mad, just trying to keep the story on the straight and narrow!

And Alto, I am sorry you feel that way. Yes, there are people who do it for the rush only. But there are others who do it to help their neighbor. Some days, I wish the Dept I volunteer for would go paid. I could then get a full nights sleep! But alas they are not, so I volunteer and try to steer away from people who do this job only for the glory and the paycheck. They are not the kind of people I prefer have on a fire scene.
    Last edited by bfpd36; 02-01-2002 at 10:09 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber resqcapt's Avatar

Jefferson County:

Springdale
    Shady Valley (Imperial)
    Rock Community (Imperial)

Combi districts that have good volunteer program, lots of action too.

Festus

All volunteer with lots of history, lots of potential, will go paid some day.

Crystal City (Avoid!)

I've volunteered in this area for the past 20 years, can't go too wrong with any of the above. Career in St. Louis County for past 14 years, very few volunteers in St. Louis County. Some above take out of district volunteers. (Shady Valley had the best program when I left there 6 years ago.)

St. Louis County:

Eureka
    Affton
    Metro West (Scaling back on volunteers)

You have to put yourself throught the St Louis County Fire Academy, for which there is a five year wait and costs about $2500.
    To get a non-sponsored spot in the class, you have to attend a lottery that they hold. They have this lottery whenever they start getting low on non sponsored people.
    Lottery system is probably going to be phased out in the near future. Don't know how they'll do it after that though. The best advice I can give you about being hired in St. Louis County is to get your paramedic license. Fire Districts always looking for medics!
    IAFF Local 2665
    "Leather Forever"
    FTM-PTB-EGH-RFB

resqcapt,
    Thanks for setting ME straight on the lottery thing, I didn't know that! I hope they come up with something better than the lottery or the first come first serve sign up they used to do! I also forgot all about Afton having volunteers, but I did hear that they were phasing out their program as well, now that you mention it.

Cool I didn't mean to open a can of worms. It is just hard living 800 miles away and tring to get hired on with a department up there. I also heard that some of my South Carolina certificates won't transfer is there any truth and do most of the departments pay for you to take classes if you wish to do so?

MembersZone Subscriber resqcapt's Avatar

I also heard that some of my South Carolina certificates won't transfer is there any truth and do most of the departments pay for you to take classes if you wish to do so?
    Really depends on what the certificate was based on for training. Which NFPA standard does the training meet? There are provisions to challenge the state of Missouri FF 1 & 2 test to become certified. Unfortunately doesn't mean squat in the county, still have to go to the academy.

Some departments will pay up front, some reimburse you at the end of the year, still others don't pay at all. Really depends on the deparment. There are hundreds of departments/districts in the metro area which means there are hundreds of different policies.
    IAFF Local 2665
    "Leather Forever"
    FTM-PTB-EGH-RFB

ffpike,
    No problem! You didn't really open that can of worms. Resqcapt just has newer info than what I did! If you do end up coming down, email me. I would be glad to give you a nickle tour or help you out if I can. Being a dispatcher, I usually get to hear the rumors of who's hiring or getting ready to hire!

Thread Information