Question paying for calsses

I was wondering if any or most volunteers departments paid for you to take emt or firefighter I and II classes?

We pay for most training fire training & EMS refreshers in advance.

EMT Class itself we reimburse after successful completion, although the Chief can authorize pay-in-advance if it's a financial hardship.

Fire classes include most state classes, and even out-of-state such as Meadowood in N.H. within some reason -- i.e., we won't pay for Haz-Mat Technician since we're not a tech-level department. The only two classes I know we won't pay for or sign the Chief's Authorization on is the Flashover Simulator and Smoke Divers, both due to severe turnout gear damage issues.

Matt
    IACOJ Canine Officer
    20/50

My department has paid for all my training. Any class fees or other costs are paid up front by the student and reimbursed by the department upon successful completion of the course. This seems to encourage students to finish the courses they begin and also helps protect the depatment from wasting funds on less dedicated individuals.

--------------------

FTM-PTB-RFB

Our town re-imburses us for any classes taken, milage to and fro, and any meals incurred while training. The payment is made once the course is completed.

A recent EMT class I attended had the county pay tuition and books for anyone who was a member of a FD or EMS squad.
    Faith in God, Trust in Training.

www.firedepartment@townoftazew ell.org

Forum Member

Our company policy is that the company will pay for any training that is related to the services we provide, provided that:

1. the individual obtains prior permission to take the training
    2. the individual successfully completes the training

In the case of your question, we would certainly pay for classes leading up to FFI or FFII, and a host of other, specialized courses. We would not pay for any EMS courses beyond first responder because we don't provide any front-line EMS services, and don't plan to do so.

Just as a note to those of you who will find this lack of interest in EMS unthinkable...EMS in our area is provided by a regional EMS Squad, staffed 24x7 by crews of paid, career paramedics (they do supplement with some volunteer EMTs, however this practice is slowly fading away). We are occasionally called upon to assist the EMS squad, although their need for us is usually limited to lifting, go-for work and, occasionally, to supply a driver, hence the willingness to pay for CPR, first aid & first responder courses but not higher level certifications.

MembersZone Subscriber

Our EMT, Firefighter and ERT (Emergency Rescue Tech) classes are run through the community college so department members only have to buy the books - the state picks up the rest of the cost. If the member succesfully completes a course they can be reimbursed for the book.

If people want to go to outside rescue colleges etc. they apply in advance and are able to recover up to 100% of the cost of the class, books, travel and meals on a per diem rate. This goes through the officers and board of directors for approval. As long as it's a reasonable request, it doesn't get turned down.
    Susan Lounsbury
    Winston-Salem Rescue Squad
    Griffith Volunteer FD

Thumbs up

In my company - if the member pays for the test for firefight 1 & 2 and passes. Upon providing a certificate and copy of the cancelled check then we will re-emburse the member. However we do not pay for an EMT certification because we do not run EMS

Forum Member

I guess here in NYS we are luck the NYS Office of Fire Prevention and Control provides all the training for FF1+2 w/the exception of the bandaid stuff. The county schedules the classes and the state pays the instructors.

My dept, paid on call, will reimburse for emt classes up to $500 (the that being the average for the class in our area) and you can get a check on comletion of the course. they will not pay for books, if your class costs more (mine did because i took a 7 week course). as far as getting your emt-i or emt-p you can get the $500 i believe. as far as other courses that is up to the chiefs to decide if they will pay, but anything done as a dept or group is usually covered.
    Member IACOJ & IACOJ EMS Bureau
    New England FOOL
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    As always these are strictly my own opinions and views

IACOJ Agitator

I belong to 2 Volunteer houses in CT. Both will pay for any fire-related course (or at least I haven't found one yet that they won't). Broad Brook will also pay for EMT class, Blue Hills won't because they do not do any medical stuff.

Like Dal mentioned, we even pay for classes in NH (ice rescue for example).

As far as HazMat tech, not sure about Blue Hills. In Broad Brook, the current Training Officer wouldn't pay the fee for someone who wanted to take it. The next Training Officer might allow it though, seeing how there is no written policy on it.

We pay for all classes even Motel rooms if you go to Fire schools out of state or to the state Fire School. EMT classes you have to pay for after you pass everthing the we will pay you back.

Temporarily/No Longer Active
    Pittsville Volunteer Fire EMS Rescue Department, Inc. Pittsville MD "Pittsville Pride"

The department pays for all training except the training to be a paramedic, don't ask why, i think that it is because of the price! But the department takes care of us!

Thread Information