Thread: Mutual Aid

Angry Mutual Aid

Just wondering.....

How many of you out there have problems with mutual aid??

What I mean by problems is: How many of you have problems with not getting along, ****ing contests, etc. with mutual aid companys.

I have a very good friend who constantly tells me horror stories about his department and the next closest one having problems with members getting along. How many of you have this problem? What does it stem from?

We are all in this for the same reasons (I hope) and I find it hard to believe this is a widespread problem.

What do you think?
    Begin with the end in mind.

Be safe out there!!

. . . been there, done that . . .
    May God bless all the people and families who have lost
    their lives on 9-11-01, to those also lost on Flight 587, and to the rescuers who responded to both.

"I'm not saying it's right, i'm just saying (the way it is)."

FDNY-EMS - Still New York's Best!

e-mail always accepted @
    toneloc177@firehousemail.com

Forum Member

Its simple - Just replace them in you phatum box system and save them some calls. We saw our call #'s go down last year and was probably do to being replaced on some others boxes. Happens all the time here. The wind changes and and the box assignment can change.

[ 01-26-2002: Message edited by: Fitguy51 ]

Stephen J Bourassa
    Latham FD (NY)
    member since 1969
    challenge competitor since 1993

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool

I guess we are just very lucky in this. We haven't had any problems that I know about. We have some great departments around us, and we all seem to "mix" and get along well. If we know about an incident, we will often call on the radio and offer our assistance. With things the way they are, we don't mind calling for mutual aid and get a good response. Our aid communities know that we will come with all we can muster if they call, and it works out well. I think you do have to build a relationship, and the officers need to look at what is needed. I can see where it would be a problem in situations where an officer or even line FF has an ego in inverse proportions to his intelligence, but it doesn't have to be that way. Mutual Aid is all about getting the job done and going home safe in my opinion.

[ 01-25-2002: Message edited by: latigo ]

"Illigitimi Non Carborundum"

"The views expressed by me are solely my own, and in no way reflect the views of any organization which I belong to."

Forum Member

Well. We Randolph we get along with all the departments around us and we all go to each others christmas parties, banquets etc. Well our chiefs do anyways. And we invite them to ours. We just recently went over to Conewango to help them get their air bottles straight so I guess you can say we are pretty tight.

However, the neighboring company East Randolph... they have a problem with Conewango and actually just on't call each other unless they really need the help. This all came from the fire contracts I guess. Where the lines were drawn and who lost territory and such. So those two try to avoid each other. Which is sad but everybody has their disagreements I guess and this one has been going on for about 40 years so.
    Firefighter/EMT Mitch Cowen
    Hose Co. 1 1st Lieutenant
    Randolph Fire Co. Inc

You mean like running mach1 to beat you to calls in your 1st due, jumping calls that they are not dispatched on, thinking they are always right, changing SOP's to fit what they want to do as they go along, doing what they want how they want on your calls????

YES, we have that problem.

Every call is an adventure.

Cutting them out of 2nd due is really not an option due to the distance to the next closest station.

Forum Member

Its pretty simple for us, if we need help in the city we are in we holler for it. Getting the job done is the main priority and if we are short manpower or equipment we make no bones about asking for help. As for response in the county area that we cover for the county we call for assistance immediatly and assess the situation when we are on scene, its a lot easier to stand them down than to have to have them on scene sooner than not. As for the county calling us to help them out (we house and man a pump and a tanker that belongs to the county), we some times in our mind ask ourselves why the hell did they not call us sooner or call us at all? I suppose that money a lot of times is the bottom line for other depts. but for us its a minor part of the equation, getting the job done the best and most efficient way is our goal.

Mutual Aid is never a problem for us, either supplying or getting. The only problem that seems to arise at times is what some in our town, preceive as an abuse of Mutual Aid for our truck company, by one of the paid departments surrounding our town. The only other situation that arises at times, is the adjoining county's mutual aid plan, it seems that once they get a worker that involves mutual aid, control over who gets called in, is taken by a group that will stay within their orginization, so who gets called is not necessarily who are the closer towns, but who the association decides to call. Because of our proximity to two counties we set our mutual aid plan by who are the closest towns to us, from either county.

Angry

It is a shame but most vol. communites have a problem with power trips.
    What we need to do is have a meeting with all
    chiefs and divise a plan,and keep it in tact so no one feels the are getting left out.
    EXETER PARK DEPUTY CHIEF
    DALE A. SKURSKY

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking

Well the Fire department mutual aid is fine. But we have problems with the first aid squads, the squad for "town A" thinks they are better than "town b,c,d" so "Town A" decided to stop giving mutual aid to towns B,c,d, Well.... now towns B,C,& D dont get along with Town A soo..now people from all these squads get along with only few members of Town A So basically..... GOd Help us if something big happens.... But had to explain it like that so I dont hear anything about it if someone reads this...
    Andrew
    Firefighter/EMT
    New Jersey

MembersZone Subscriber

Default M/A

We have that problem with one Dept and for some reason we can't find out why, so we do the eye for an eye. They don't call us we don't call them. We have other Depts that are close enough and it doesn't place anybody in danger, but it still P$%sses us off. If a Dept has a problem with another, hash it out before it gets out of hand. Ours has been going on for years.....

Stay Safe

We have never had a problem with mutual-aid that I have seen. We recieve and give mutual aid with three nieghboring counties along with another state. I have,however, seen firefighters (mostly probies from an area department who have a real attitude, and a real ego problem.

MembersZone Subscriber

We have been very lucky with our mutual aid. The dept.s surrounding our town have worked and train together. There is always problems but we solve the problem instead of letting it get out of hand.

we get along quite well with our mutual aid companies but if we do have a problem we nip it in the bud and take care of it right away.

Lightbulb M/A

We have automatic m/a with one dept. we have four others we call if needed. Our dept. invites all five depts. and members to our trainings. That way we learn to work together, know what their eq. is and trade ideas with each and try them. It has worked well for us. They also invite us to their trainings.

Stay Safe

Sure is funny,it is the same from ane end of our country to the other.
    Why can't we just get along.I believe its ego's or plain stupity.As one person said we are all in this for the same reason"to save lives and property".Sometimes we lose sight what we are in this business for.Thank goodness if we need help it is available.Sure don't bother me to call in mutual aid.I see know reason to let a small woods fire turn into the "big one" just because we didn't ask for help.That is a good way to lose someone or equipment.So BROTHERs & SISTERS lets guit brickering and pull the same wagon.As far as training goes,it is to late to find out our tanker fittings won't couple up to your pumper when the fire is out of control.That is why ISO requires us to train with our mutual aid companies.Then again ISO doesn't judge us on wildland equipment either.

Well, I am glad to see that most of us are able to work mutual aid company politics out for the best. Ultimately the goal is to "work together" to get the job done and go home safe.

My question's are, "If you have no problem providing mutual aid to the neighboring town, BUT you have no confidence in that neighboring towns Fire Chief and the other officers of that company, are you rethinking or changing your SOP's to limit your risk?"

"Has your town officials expressed concerns about providing mutual aid to this town, knowing that the training and safety at one of their scenes may put you in greater risk than normal?"
    ideas expressed & posted in the forum(s) are my own.

MembersZone Subscriber

Seems like this is a problem the world over. Have recently moved house and joined a new brigade, there I discovered that most of the members of my new brigade won't turn out on mutual aid calls to the neighboring brigade. Been going on for years apparently and has a base in conflicts between families. The whole thing seems a bit ridiculous to me. I figure that if there is a fire to put out then if you are a firefighter you go and put it out - pretty simple really. Doesn't matter whose patch it's on or whatever.
    Busy polishing the stacked tips on the deckgun of I.A.C.O.J. Engine#1

...and before you ask - YES I have done a Bloody SEARCH!

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Finally, a topic that we can all agree on!

First of all, there's a difference between problems and a healthy rivalry. Since we're way out in the sticks, it isn't uncommon to be called for mutual aid to a fire that's closer to our station than the responsible department. Nothing like beating someone to their fire. You get to fight the fire and they get all the paperwork and overhaul, heh heh.

We, for the most part, work well with all of our neighboring districts. We do seem to have a problem with one district, and they don't work real well with ANYBODY. They have always responded if we called them, however. Their Chief spoke with ours a week or two ago wanting to get together with all area Chiefs to dispell the myth that they don't want to work with other departments. Meeting hasn't happened yet (and I somehow doubt it will...).
    Bryan Beall
    Silver City, Oklahoma USA

We have very good working relationships with our mutual aid companies and we depend on each other a lot. The biggest need we have is water supply and mutual aid more often than not is tankers. That does not mean that we would not use each other in an interior attack. The reason for confidence in each other is the fact that we train a lot together. We have a very strong parrish association that holds many multiple district training events. I think that is one key to our cooperation. The firefighters and chiefs train with each other on a regular basis, we know each other, and we trust each other.

Of the chiefs in our area I am probably the hardest to get along with and I assure you that I do not want to alienate my mutual aid companies. The point is if you train together and need each other the ****ing contests for the most part have a way of disappearing.
    "Don't be afraid to ask stupid questions, they are a lot easier to handle than dumb mistakes"
    Author Unknown

Default thank goodness

We must be really well off we get along great with our M/A depts. Just make sure that you take good care of the them when you use them. a lot of the time we use them just for station coverage while we are tied up so we make sure that they get fed and watered.
    Jesse

Forum Member

my dept doesnt have many problems with other depts. but there is chief that is around here that nobody likes. a RV caught fire and they guy called on a cell phone and didnt know where he was so our town was the last one he went through. so 3 different depts were called well when we got to the edge of our district we hadnt come acrossed it yet so we kept going. we were first to arrive and when the other town got there (also out of district) there chief remarked to one of our guys that we were out of district. when the fire was out my uncle went over and was going to open a can of..... well u know. but our chief got a hold of him first and set him straight. but for the most part our mutual aid companies dont let little things get to them and if we have a problem we talk about it after the fact instead of going after the guy during the call. but we dont have many problems with the local towns except that one with a jack a** for a chief.
    "Let's Roll." Todd Beamer 9/11 first soldier in the war on terror

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America. And to the republic for which it stands ONE NATION UNDER GOD indivisible,with liberty, and justice for all.

I.A.C.O.J. Probie and darn proud of it.

Default MUTUAL AID

NOT APROBLEM FOR US AT WALDENS RIDGE EMERGENCY SERVICE,WE ARE A MEMEBER OF THE TRI-STATE MUTUAL AID ASSOC. . THIS ASSOC. MEETS EACH MONTH AND EACH DEPT. HOST THIS MEETING WITH A DINNER .THIS GIVES US A CHANCE TO AND SEE EACH DEPT.ON THE SCENE NO PROBLEMS JUST GET THE JOB DONE . IF A PROBLEM ARISES ITS HANDLE BY THE OFFICER IN CHARGE OF THE SCENE. THEN WE SIT DOWN AND TALK ABOUT IT AFTER THE JOB IS DONE.

BE SAFE AND HAVE A GOOD ONE!

Exclamation Mutual Hate

We get along with most of our mutual aid companys. But there is one we do not get along with. This Problem begins with the Chiefs. Our Chiefs own A*& could be on Fire and He wouldn't let them Extinguish it, The Same goes for them. They have even called Companies on the other side of our area to respond instead of calling us. The Mutual Aid Drove through town Code 3. Our Chief Actually Cancelled a Call for mutual aid because our first choice was tied up and Dispatch was going to call the other department.
    C.M. Baker
    Georgia

Thats not what the job is about.Sounds its time for someone to get you folks some help and the chiefs need to grow up .I would also think that there would be legal matters or liablilty issues at stake.

Thread Information