Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Question IRS NON-Profit Status

How does a department file for non profit status?

Forum Member

Visit you nearest IRS office and get the forms. You will probably need the help of an accountant or lawyer to complete the forms. There is a fee involved as I recall for the filing.

Check with you state on obtaing the same status with them.

Forum Member

Visit you nearest IRS office and get the forms. You will probably need the help of an accountant or lawyer to complete the forms. There is a fee involved as I recall for the filing.

Check with you state on obtaing the same status with them.

Blackhawk,Thanks for the reply.We are already tax exempt from the state.Why do we need a Lawyer??
    Just Remember The only Real Dumb Question is the ONE not asked.

Carl, There is a difference in being "tax exempt" and also "non-profit". If you have a tax id number and it is valid with the state you live in, what status did you orginally apply for many years ago? NonProfit, commercial, etc.

No matter what status you are, you still need to "file a tax return" you may not have to pay any taxes or fees to Government (Federal or State) but you must file every year.

Years ago we didn't and got fined "big time $$".

Get a local Accountant that has worked with Churches or schools in the past to help you out. It worth the $300. per year he may charge the volunteers. It just may save the entire station from the IRS.

Also, if your fundraising efforts bring in more than $25,000.00, in most states you need to apply for a license and register with the Attorney General of the State.

hope this helped.

Ken

Forks Township Fire Company
    ideas expressed & posted in the forum(s) are my own.

You'll need Adobe Acrobat reader (PDF) for this link:
    http://ftp.fedworld.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p557.pdf

It's IRS Publication 557, which is the rules and application procedure manual for obtaining 501(c)(3) Tax exempt status.

I would think at a minimum having a CPA who is familiar with non-profits should be hired to make sure the i's are dotted and the t's are crossed. Not sure a lawyer would be needed, unless the CPA recommends it.

At least for the initial setup and make sure you understand the regs the CPA is wise -- you don't want to be audited five years down the line and find out something is screwed up, please give us a check.
    ----------
    While most organizations would not find themselves in this position, we bought a small ranch house adjacent to our fire station for future expansion (it's now our office building). During the first few years, we rented it out -- since it wasn't directly related to firefighting or otherwise fall under the 501(c)(3) provisions, yep -- we paid town property taxes on it...don't think we paid Federal income taxes though since the rent just about covered the expenses so there wasn't a profit to tax.

[ 01-26-2002: Message edited by: Dalmatian90 ]

IACOJ Canine Officer
    20/50

Forum Member

The CPA should be able to help with the forms. You may need a lawyer to cover your charter/by-laws/constitution to be sure they meet the requirements for the tax exempt non-profit.

You may need a dissolution clause saying what will happen to the assets if the department ever ceases to exist. It's been a long time since I had to work on one but it should not be that difficult.

Go to

http://www.irs.gov

and in the form search section, put the number 1024.

This is the number of the package you need to apply for IRS not for profit status.

If you are a volunteer fire company and you do not file a tax return, you are violating the law and can be hammered with fines, penalties, etc. Plus, if not a not for profit company, anyone who donates to you can NOT deduct the donation from thier taxes.
    The above is MY OPINION only and not that of anyone else. I am not representing any organization in making a post here!!!!

Thread Information