Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Engine 101
    Firehouse.com Guest

Exclamation ANOTHER SCHOOL SHOOTING

Once again today there was another School Shooting this one in California in the San Diego area Ej Cajon High School was the target today, El Cajon High is only 4 Miles from Santee and Santana High School, New reports have no one killed thank god, 3 people injured one of the three being the alleged gunmen who was apparntley shot by an EL Cajon Police Officer who was a Laison to the school and was on the campus when the shooting began, The gunman and all other vicitms are expected to survive, What is up with kids today!, What goes through there minds?

------------------
    Engine101
    Tim Macias
    TimMacias101@Firehousemail.com
    I will fight fire for Electricity

RJE
    Firehouse.com Guest

Two things go through their minds (or don't, depending on how you look at it).

First, no respect for life, or others. We live in one of the most SELFISH societies in the world. And it wasn't always that way.

Second, no respect for consequences. Here's what I mean.

When I was in high school - late 70s to early 80s - and in the suburbs - I went deer hunting on my grandparent's land 1 mile from the high school - things were different.

Out in the suburbs or in the country, it was easy to get "out in the boonies". I grew up with guns, and hunting. I shot water mocassins in the ponds every summer - that was "pest control". I had friends that never touched guns. I had friends who weren't allowed to visit my house - because my dad had a gun rack displayed in the living room. Their parents didn't want them around the guns.

But when a kid made some threats at my school (about 'getting' a rival who had called him some names, and spread some rumors), some of his friends took him aside. Not his enemies, now, his friends. In other words, when one was asked about 'supplying' a gun, instead of giving him one, they BEAT him with one. (or without, I don't know, but he had cuts, scrapes, black eyes, etc.)

In another incident - a kid got beat up one day, and brought a knife the next to get 'revenge'. Someone, somehow, found out. He was met by several members of the football team. They all were HOLDING the deer rifles they kept in the gun racks of their pickup trucks - demanding he give up the knife.

Third incident - after a football game where we beat a rival from "in the city", some of the thugs from that school staged a 'drive-by' at a pizza place/arcade where we hung out. They pulled 2 .22 auto pistols. We (not me, I wasn't there, but) pulled 3 30/30 Winchesters and a Remington pump shotgun. No shots were fired, they saw we were ready and gave it up as a bad idea.

I'm not saying that either the presense of guns, or knowledge of guns was the solution. I'm not saying we were always "responsible" in the way we handled those guns (I had mine taken away more than once, for "horsing around" with them). What I'm saying is we had a healthy respect for them, we knew what they could do, and we knew what they couldn't. When someone started getting "stupid" with a gun - we educated them - or we stopped them.

Speaking of stops, this was on the news recently. Remember all those workers going "postal", storming into their workplace (or former workplace) and shooting a bunch of people. It happened here a few days ago. You probably didn't see it, because it didn't make the news. Why not? Because the shooter was recognized by the receptionist as he came through the front door. She called the sales manager. He's got a "concealed carry" permit. By the time the perp got to his target (the dept. manager that had fired him a week earlier), the sales manager (who he didn't know) was right behind him. He walked in, made a verbal threat, then reached under his jacket. And heard the scariest sound ever. The "click-click" of the hammer coming back on a .357 S&W, 3 inches from his ear. He was taken into custody without ever drawing the pistol he had under his jacket.

Why? Because the receptionist knew him. Because she knew he was unstable, and that he had been recently terminated. And finally, that she knew who "carried", and she didn't panic.

But here's the real trick. Would that guy have even tried it - if he knew the sales manager would be there, and packing (he testified that he had no idea anyone in the office was armed).

Engine 101
    Firehouse.com Guest

Correction on my previous post the name of the High School was Grantie Hills High School

Josie-ARC
    Firehouse.com Guest

today, so many have very little respect for themselves, let alone for anyone else...i've seen so many kids being neglected...growing up like that, feeling unwanted and unloved..which brings on anger, etc...they feel that no one respects/wants/loves them...why should they care what happens to someone else?...i've heard that and seen that...so many people do not want to get involved when they see a situation like that..for whatever reason...but if we do, if we intervene, we are preventing one more person from going over the edge...just think what could happen to that one life if someone does intervene!...instead of that person going over the edge, that person could grow up to extend a hand to another person...just because we become parents, does not mean we should be parents...sometimes people need a little help...or alot of help....i think it's our job to extend our hands to people we see in need...this may prevent some of the troubles..not all of course..but it's a start...

------------------
    Help Can't Wait

Josie-ARC
    Firehouse.com Guest

today, so many have very little respect for themselves, let alone for anyone else...i've seen so many kids being neglected...growing up like that, feeling unwanted and unloved..which brings on anger, etc...they feel that no one respects/wants/loves them...why should they care what happens to someone else?...i've heard that and seen that...so many people do not want to get involved when they see a situation like that..for whatever reason...but if we do, if we intervene, we are preventing one more person from going over the edge...just think what could happen to that one life if someone does intervene!...instead of that person going over the edge, that person could grow up to extend a hand to another person...just because we become parents, does not mean we should be parents...sometimes people need a little help...or alot of help....i think it's our job to extend our hands to people we see in need...this may prevent some of the troubles..not all of course..but it's a start...

------------------
    Help Can't Wait

Thread Information