Thread: Kelly Day

crs176
    Firehouse.com Guest

Post Kelly Day

I am looking for information in referance to the origin of the Kelly Day.

------------------
    Chris R. Simmons

9C7
    Firehouse.com Guest

Wink

Hi:

I asked the same question recently and here was the answer I got:

In the Depression/1930s, Chicago FFs worked an ungodly number of hours per week...something over 100.

A new mayor was elected...a fellow named Kelley, and he declared that the FFs would get a scheduled day off every so often. Hence the origin of the Kelley day.

Sounds good to me...

------------------
    Stay Safe.
    You asked for my opinion, now you have it. Any similarity to another opinion, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

to bad he didn`t say "a week off every so often"

MY DEPARTMENT USES THE PHRASE KELLY TIME. FLSA ALLOWS FIREFIGHTERS TO WORK UP TO 204 HOURS WITHIN A 28 DAY PERIOD WITHOUT REQUIRING THE EMPLOYER TO PAY OVERTIME. ANYTHING OVER 204 MUST BE PAID AT TIME AND ONE HALF. ALL FIREMEN AT MY STATION ARE ASSIGNED TO A 24 HOUR SHIFT AND MUST WORK 216 HOURS WITHIN A 28 DAY PERIOD. WE ARE REQUIRED TO TAKE 12 HOURS OF KELLY TIME OFF WITHIN THAT 28 DAYS TO AVOID OVERTIME.

Originally posted by csy113:
    <STRONG>MY DEPARTMENT USES THE PHRASE KELLY TIME. FLSA ALLOWS FIREFIGHTERS TO WORK UP TO 204 HOURS WITHIN A 28 DAY PERIOD WITHOUT REQUIRING THE EMPLOYER TO PAY OVERTIME. ANYTHING OVER 204 MUST BE PAID AT TIME AND ONE HALF. ALL FIREMEN AT MY STATION ARE ASSIGNED TO A 24 HOUR SHIFT AND MUST WORK 216 HOURS WITHIN A 28 DAY PERIOD. WE ARE REQUIRED TO TAKE 12 HOURS OF KELLY TIME OFF WITHIN THAT 28 DAYS TO AVOID OVERTIME. </STRONG>
    Ok so are you payed for 24hrs or onlay 16.25 hrs??

I'll be asking alot more in teh coming days, weeks on teh FLSA. The station i'm working for is dicking us all.

One question for you all. So far i've found that an empolyer can not make you volunteer at the same station at which you are employed. Is this true?? If so can someone send me a link to where i can find moer about this?

DEWTIME: WE GET PAID FOR 16.25 HOURS PER SHIFT. FLSA MANDATES THAT YOU MUST BE ALLOWED 5 HOURS OF UNINTERUPTED SLEEP TIME. IF YOU DO NOT GET YOUR SLEEP TIME, THEN THEY MUST PAY YOU FOR ADDITIONAL HOURS.

WE ARE ALLOWED TO SLEEP BETWEEN THE HOUR OF 9:00PM TIL 7:45AM. IF YOU CHOOSE NOT TO GO TO BED AT 9:00PM THEN THATS YOUR CHOICE. IF WE GO FIVE HOURS WITHOUT A CALL THEN WE ARE PAID FOR 16.25. IF WE HAVE A CALL DURING THIS TIME AND WE DONT GET THE FULL FIVE HOURS THEN WE ARE PAID 24 HOURS.

HOPE THIS HELPS!

Dewtime... last time I checked, nobody could legally MAKE you volunteer. I would suggest calling the U.S. Dept of Labor. They'll probably have a thing or two to say about that. In NJ where I am, it's against state law for career personnel to volunteer for the same department that they are employed by because that basically ammounts to them getting free labor from you.
    Stay safe all.

Thread Information