Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fitness

9C7
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up Fitness

Wow, first post in the topic.

I run 20-25 miles per week and spend 3-4 hours per week at the gym using both freeweights and machines.

This is on my own...the town fathers, when approached about an on-duty fitness program a few years ago, said --quote-- there's no evidence that fitness is a requiremernt among firefighters and would save us any money.-- end quote.

Enough said.

------------------
    Stay Safe.
    You asked for my opinion, now you have it. Any similarity to another opinion, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Chief Taylor
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

We are allowed to work out at the City Recreation Gym for 1 1/2 hours a day on shift in the mornings. We do jogging or weightlifting.

We then can return at night and play a game called Wallyball. It is really fun and most all of the Fire stations show up for this excercise as well.

What is WALLYBALL? It is basically Volleybal that is played inside an indoor racketball court.

We are required to take a physical agility twice a year so the City supports our efforts to keep in shape.

FFTrainer
    Firehouse.com Guest

Great topic!!!

9C7 maybe you should bring all a copy of all the articles on Firehouse.com concerning LODD's as a result of heart attack. Maybe that would open some eyes.

Stay safe!

runnersaurus
    Firehouse.com Guest

Arrow

I'm a volunteer recruit. Our city has 75 paid call volunteers. We get to use the public pool and gym for free. As for myself I'm in one of the outlying halls in a rural area. I run three to four times a week about 20 miles/wk. Two kids, a job, No weights, no time. I know its important so I run at lunch time.

9C7
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

Hi:

I'm interested in whether anyone has a good "firefighter-specific" exercise. Maybe a good, useful type of lift, or something like that.

Any ideas?

------------------
    Stay Safe.
    You asked for my opinion, now you have it. Any similarity to another opinion, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

FFTrainer
    Firehouse.com Guest

I try to focus mainly on the waist up. My waist down is handled through running and the stairmaster.

It's just my opinion, but I feel you need as strong a mid-section (abs and lower back) as you can get. For the amount of time we spend crawling, reaching and exerting high levels of effort from the kneeling position, our legs have been taken out of the power source and we need to rely on the muscles that make of our mid section. I also try to spend some time on shoulders for all the over head work we do like pulling ceilings, etc.

Stay safe!

Captain Gonzo
    Firehouse.com Guest

Lightbulb

9C7...I have used the following execises using dumbells that simulate what we do at fires to help gain upper body strength.

Take a light weight dumbell and grip it like you would an axe. Bring it above your head and swing downwards. This movement is similar to using an axe to open up a roof.

The second simulates pulling ceilings. Take a dumbell and hold it in the vertical position. Hold it out position about 6 to 8 inches, then lift it slowly, then lower slowly. Start with a light weight then increase the amount of weight and reps.

I try to work three times a week doing both weights and cardio. I also walk a few miles a day with the dogs, and try to eat healthy meals.

------------------
    Firefighters: rising to accept the challenge!
    Captain Gonzo

Dalmatian90
    Firehouse.com Guest

Practical AND benificial for fire work...

Splitting firewood by maul!

Ok, so it's only good for those of you who heat with wood, but man did I learn how to swing an axe (maul) accurately, and when you do it a good pace it's a good cardio workout plus an 8lb maul is a good workout for the arms when you split 15-20 minutes at a time.

Lt.Todd
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thank you. This is a great idea, and long over-due! I have been at both ends of the spectrum. I have been overweight and smoked... And I have been perfect weight and smoke-free.

Currently I'm back on track. I run 5-7 miles two to three times a week,and hit the gym every other day. I got started again after reading an article about a firefighter who was only 38 dying of a heart attack! I'm 35.

Thanks Firehouse mag. Best site on the web!

SERVE WITH PRIDE

FireRebel
    Firehouse.com Guest

Fitness...what a great topic...I work out four times a week. Monday, Tuesday..Wednesday off, Thursday, Friday....I work on Cardio, Five miles a day...I tend to work my upper body alot harder than my legs..Backs/Abs quite a bit...whatever you do, every bit helps, just make sure you are doing something...

Thread Information