Thread: WHEN???

Lt.Todd
    Firehouse.com Guest

Post WHEN???

The health of our firefighters seems to be another topic that is seldom addressed by managment. The cost of a wellness program v/s sick time use almost appears to be a no brainer! Large corporations have been using wellness programs for years and have seen the financial returns.

WHEN will the city leaders and fire Chiefs see the benefits of these programs and start budgeting for them. We recently had a firefighter suffer a major stroke, he will probably never return to duty and is currently being paid by the city while on sick leave. Another firefighter was recently sent home due to a B/P of 200 over 140. He is also drawing a pay check while on sick leave. I'M not saying these men should be cut off, but if a wellness program was mandatory and offered would both of them be at work today?

SERVE WITH PRIDE

Smoke286
    Firehouse.com Guest

Hey LT check with your Local about the Wellness and Fitness program endorsed by the IAFF and 10 major North American Fire Depts.
    Our Dept recently adopted it and it seems to be working well so far. It very expensive on the front end though, so its possible the city might look to drop it in the next set of negotiations. But its got a lot of good points, free membership in the Gym of your choice, equipment in the stations,yearly medicals and physicals that are confidential and non punative. Like I said, check it out.There are lots of good arguments available in favour of it.

Smoke286
    Firehouse.com Guest

By the way I agree with you, I've seen too many of our brothers drop dead over the years.

Firelover
    Firehouse.com Guest

Lightbulb

Believe it or not, but the actually didn't want to consider a gym in our new fire hall. They said that you don't need physical fitness in this job. Our Chief and Deputy won some space, but is still not enough and they are working on more. It's quite discouraging.

------------------
    Joel

If you sent us to HELL, WE'D PUT IT OUT!!

**And of course these are only my opinion and only mine. Don't take it out on anyone else but me.**

Thread Information