Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Workout Help

hfdfao
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool Workout Help

Ok, so I am sure I am not the only one with this problem....Motivating myself to work out.

I am not in horrible shape, but could lose a few pounds and could definitely improve , endurance etc.

But for the life of me I can't make the time or make myself workout. We have a full gym at the station, so 2 days a week I could go in early, but that wreaks havoc at home with the kids, wife, etc.

Any ideas to motivate my un-motivated self.

Dave

------------------
    In Memory of those who have passed before us, may their loss not be in vain........

[This message has been edited by hfdfao (edited 05-02-2001).]

dtj
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

I ran into the same problem years ago. Motivation must come from within, once you're motivated the rest will come.
    There are some external factors that may influence your motivation. Annual PT test, bodyfat standards, etc.
    What do you want to gain from working out? What are your goals? Bodybuilder, runner, improve overall fitness.
    Once you figure all that out, find a partner or coach. Ask someone who has already done it. How did they get there? What did they do?
    If this is something you want, you must make the time. Can you workout while on duty? Is there a gym near your home? Is your family interested in taking part?
    There are plenty of reference materials available. I personally subscribe to Muscle and Fitness Magazine, but there are others. There's also several websites to check out and don't forget the fitness info on this website. It's a good starting point.
    Personally, I also change my whole routine about every 3 or months just to keep it interesting. I've done bodybuilder's workouts, endurance workouts, aerobic. However, each routine does include aerobic and strength training, I just change my emphasis. One of my favorites is a workout that I got from an individual I met at www.specialtactics.com. I'll send a copy via email.
    I have a difficult schedule when it comes time to working out. Sometimes, I can only do part of what I want and may have to split or make it up later. I don't worry about it if I can't do everything I wanted to do.

I've been where you're at and so have others. Don't get discouraged, it'll take time to figure it all out and then you'll see the results you want to see.

GOOD LUCK and keep us posted.
    http://www.muscleandfitness.com
    http://home.att.net/~pyrokinetics/index.html

Lt.Todd
    Firehouse.com Guest

Hey Dave

DTJ makes some great points and gave you some great ideas. My biggest motivation came from reading articles about 35 year old firefighters dropping dead with heart attacks. I also have two kids, that was big help also!

Can you work out on duty? If so get a few guys to do it together and set goals. I was at a station where we posted bench press weight. 225-club/ 250-club/ 300-club...you get it.

Good Luck

SERVE WITH PRIDE

Captain Gonzo
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

Great motivation for working out....

When your bunker pants seem like they are "shrinking".

When losing a button off of your uniform shirt can be classified as a "assault with a deadly weapon".

When the babes walking by the firehouse no longer check you out!

When you feel "just plain fat".

But seriously, motivation comes from within. Most firefighters gain a few pounds after getting appointed (some of the best chefs in the world work in a firehouse!).
    You can eat well, as long as you eat healthy.

You have to picture where you are and where you want to be. Vary your workout routine, do a combination of strength and cardio, give your body a chance to rest itself by working out every other day or work a different section each day and don't forget to put on your favorite music...it does help!

------------------
    Firefighters: Todays heroes protecting everyones tomorrows!
    Captain Gonzo

Dr. Law
    Firehouse.com Guest

Smile

Motivation and willpower, you need both.
    I have had two kids now, age 6 and 4, and one would think that this would be enough motivation. I wish it was. I kept saying and not doing.
    Finally now I am doing. Cutting down on food intake, walking during the lunch hour (getting some fairly nice looking women to walk with me helps a little - I will admit - ) and using our department's new workout facility. So far, it feels like the pants are looser. If I survive, I will let you know if this works!

[This message has been edited by Dr. Law (edited 05-09-2001).]

Captain Gonzo
    Firehouse.com Guest

One of the things I have found to help with the weight loss is to cook at the firehouse instead of sending out. While some of the best chefs in the world work at the firehouse, it's what they cook, how they cook it and how much you eat!

If they are cooking healthy, it's great...if not...you gain weight! There are a number of firehouse cookbooks out there that have great tasting, healthy recipes that can be prepared easily. When buying foods to cook at the firehouse, I've made it a habit to read the nutritional info labels for fat and calorie content.

I do a lot of stir frys with chicken, beef and veggies, and in the summer cook out a lot on the grill. I also drink a lot of water during the day.

A guide for portion control...a portion of food is roughly the size of your fist.

Another book that you can get is "Body for Life" by Bill Phillips. At one point two years ago, I had a physical and was shocked at how much weight I gained (I knew that my uniforms were getting a little "snug", but I kept saying to myself...it's a little winter weight gain...you'll lose it in the spring!).
    I bought the book and set up a diet and exercise regimen for myself and lost 35 pounds.

I'm far from being a diet and fitness guru...I'm content to stay within my "zone"...right now I am 6 pounds "over the edge". Threads and posts like these help keep me motivated!

------------------
    Firefighters: Todays heroes protecting everyones tomorrows!
    Captain Gonzo

[This message has been edited by Captain Gonzo (edited 05-13-2001).]

Kissmibut
    Firehouse.com Guest

Hey DTJ Any chance I can get a copy of that workout you mentioned?? Please send to kissmibut@aol.com

firefighterbuff
    Firehouse.com Guest

yes i tore my menisical disk and most of cartilage out of my knee in a training exercise about a week ago the doc have sent me to phiscall therapy but i was wondering if there is anyone out there that has a workout that can help me to get back to work faster if you do please let me know you can reach me at Firefighterbuff@hotmail.com or firefighterbuff@firehousmail.c om or joshua trevett@ andersen.af.mill

thank you
    joshua trevet
    36ces/cef

jeg532
    Firehouse.com Guest

we work 24 on 24 off and we have a full gym at the station but it is still hard to workout every shift. i usually run 2-3 miles in the mornings when i get off. as far as motivation, creatine helps a lot, also try stacker2

Hey Dave,
    Everyone goes through this at some point or another. I have come along way from who I used to be. I have lost 130 pounds in route to becoming a FF. I have run a marathon(Don't worry the Kenyans were way in front of me!) and done many other things that I have had to fight my way through motivationally. These are my key points to motivations that I live by.

FOCUS: Focus on what it is you want to achieve. Sit down and think about your goals and come up with a plan on how to acieve them. Educate yourself on diet, workouts, etc. so that you know the steps to follow. You also have to focus on what your goals are to keep you motivated. For me it has been becoming a FF, health reasons wanting to be physically in top shape to do the job, self-esteem, etc. I started at 330 pounds and am down to 200. BUT, YOU have to sit down and think of what YOU want to be your motivational FOCUS. I.E. when that little voice creeps in your head and tells you that you REALLY don't have to workout today, you want to have YOUR goals to focus on and make YOU want to fight through that voice, and go to the gym.
    "Obstacles are what you see when you take your eyes off of your goals"
    "Patient Persistence Knows No Boundaries!" If you are Patient while also being Persistent and working hard at your goals, then you will find no Boundaries.
    Find buddies or your wife or other FFs to work out with or go jogging or walking or biking with. Motivation is greater in numbers.
    I can Go ON and ON about this stuff mainly because I used to be a bigger couch potato than Archie Bunker and Al Bundy combined. If you want to talk more about motivation, fitness, and exercise shoot an email to me.
    But always keep working hard toward your health/fitness/weightloss goals!
    Clay

Thread Information