Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    CHARLESTON
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question In search of the right nutrition

I am not sure if there are other folks out there such as myself. I don't have any problem actually doing the workouts. My problem lies in not knowing "what not to eat" and "what to eat".

I know I can't eat cheesburgers and fries and expect to loose weight. But at the same time it is hard to stay "full" eating nuts and berries.

I have read several books on nutrition, but have been unable to find a diet plan that is right for me.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I thank you in advance for your reply.

CHARLESTON, SC

dtj
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

I believe you can eat cheeseburgers, french fries, etc. and lose weight. I got stuck on someone else's diet for a while and ended up frustrated because I couldn't stick with the plan. The key in a nutshell is balanced nutrition. I'm trying to lose some bodyfat and I watch what I eat. I don't care how much I weigh, I don't count calories, and I indulge on a "happy meal" 3-4 times a week. A "happy meal" is not neccesarily a meal and consists of the foods I enjoy but may not be the healthiest (i. e., large sundae with extra chocolate and caramel syrup, whipped cream, etc.). I'm only concerned with fitness and bodyfat. I have a very erratic schedule and have to fit 3-4 meals a day in there somehow. I take a multivitamin daily and drink a protein shake, usually before bed. Sometimes, it seems like I need that extra protein just to keep a good balance. I also enjoy the imatation crab and lobster, especially with some Old Bay seasoning.
    You don't mention anything about exercise activities and intensity, but it is neccesary. I do about 20-30 minutes of aerobics, varied activity and intensity, as soon as I get out of bed 3 days a week and have had good results. I also work out in the gym 3 days a week.
    Other things to consider: body weight, body fat percentage, daily activities. I believe the FDA is wrong saying that a 220 lbs. firefighter who exercises 6 days a week needs only 2000 calories a day to remain healthy. Instead of going by their guidelines, I use guidelines I found in Muscle and Fitness Magazine and adjusted until it felt right. I eat close to 3000+ calories a day. Muscle Media Magazine also has good tips, but I don't like the way they "push" their products.
    I also believe those diets that focus on special supplements and diets are a farce. I've never tried any of them, but I don't know anyone who has maintained a long-term benefit from them. Your body can only adapt to grapefruits, low carbs, high protein, etc., for so long. Another big key, one that I brushed off for a long time, is drink plenty of water. Working in a prison, where you just can't open the windows, I also think there is a benefit from fresh air.

Hope I helped. GOOD LUCK!

CHARLESTON
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thank you for your reply.

I joined a gym about 2 months ago, but they really haven't helped me other than the initial start-up stuff. I go there 2-3 times a week. I also lift weights every shift on duty.

I have been doing the water thing too. I try to stay away from the soft drinks (even diet stuff) and mainly drink water or a little tea.

My question is still - what do I eat? I mean I am not asking for someone to plan every one of my meals for me, but simply give me some suggestions on what foods are good and what are bad.

I understand that the amount of energy in the food I take in has to equal the amount I am taking out or I get the weight gain. My problem is finding that balance.

I too work 2 jobs so I don't always have the benefit of being able to cook at home. I have to "eat out" most of the time, so where should I start.

I am not lazy. I don't mind doing the work to get the weight off (I want to lose about 20-25 pounds to get me to around 180). I can tell my stamina is getting better when I play basketball or other sports, but I just don't see the change in my body shape.

I appreciate any help from anyone who has ever experienced this same situation. I will take your suggestions honestly and respectfully. Thanks again to you guys. Take care.

dabmedic
    Firehouse.com Guest

Sounds like you are on the right track. I feel that yes you need to watch what you eat but more importantly is how much you eat. Like previously mentioned you can check out Muscle-Fitness Magazine, they usually have some really good tips on nutrition. Personally I lean toward chicken and fresh veggies. I will steam the veggies and bake the chicken or grill it on the foreman. Watch your carb intake as long as you burn the extra carbs off you'll be ok. Hope this helps..Good luck and take care..

------------------
    David B.
    Firefighter/Paramedic
    Roanoke, Va.

BCFD90
    Firehouse.com Guest

I've found that eating smaller meals five to six times a day has helped me greatly. I've broken up my three larger meals into five to six smaller ones. This helps speed up your metabolism so your body is always burning fuel. Drinking plenty of water also. I've also lowered my sugar intake. I've lost twenty plus pounds since February. I exercise six times a week, three cardio days for twenty to thirty minutes and three strength days for fourty five minutes.

Captain Gonzo
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

I had gained some weight and was not happy with the way I felt and looked. I bought the book "Body for Life" by Bill Phillips. In it is has a nutrion plan as well as an excercise plan.

I watch what I eat, and there are lots of good foods out there..the key is moderation.

One thing I do for portion control is measure each portion by comparing it to the size of my fist. So far, I have been keeping my weight within the "zone" I have set for myself. I do want to lose another 10 to 15 pounds.

------------------
    Firefighters: Today's heroes protecting everyone's tomorrows!
    Captain Gonzo

fire1022a
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

I also tryed the Body for life plan from Bill Philips. I recommend it highly. it seems to be very easy to use. The only thing I can say is lose the excuses. As one of my friend said "do what you're told and all you dirt will turn to gold". I did and lost 30 plus pound and dropped my body fat to single digits.

Thread Information