Default Backbone in Physical Fitness testing

Maybe this is controversial, but how do you put backbone into your PT testing. We have a pretty good program, probably about 65% are actively involved, 25% modereatly involved and about 10% make things tough on the rest. When we have our testing, there are always those who moan about running, complain about sit ups. Does anyone have a good physical fitness test or alternatives to those mentioned above. please let me know what some of your experiences are to this old problem.
    Gilrod

The best programs I have heard of always involve BIG $$$$$$'s for those that compete and do better than their yearly goals. No one can complain about the unfairness if they don't participate. It has been found out that anyone not hampered by a severe disability can reach a self appointed goal.

Forum Member

Originally posted by gilrod:
    <STRONG>...about 65% are actively involved, 25% modereatly involved and about 10% make things tough ...</STRONG>
    Gil,
    How the heck are you? Haven't seen you in a while!
    I think your numbers are close to ours. You'll find that everywhere. I'm guessing that this 10% is the same 10% that complains about training, runs during the night, etc.

Our fitness program is not mandatory, but to get a "better" physical exam every 2 years, you have to participate in the program. The city provides the equipment, and we're allowed up to 90 minutes to work out during the shift. Most (80%+) of our guys are active participants, and we just have to ignore the complaints of the rest and go on. Sorry for no good answer, but I don't think there IS one.
    Jay

-------------------------
    They call 'em idiots...
    We call 'em job security!

Jay, it is good to hear from you, it is a small world. Actually we do have a good program but as we evolve we need to fine tune what we have and make sure what we are doing is pertinent and job related, as well as measureable, that part is important. Some of the complaints are, what happens if we don't do it, I can't run for medical reasons, which in turn brings up the fit for duty problem. But all in all we do have a fit dept. The one thing we do is tie it in to evaluations, all though it is a small insignificant part, nobody wants a '1' on their evaluation. It is good to hear from you things are going pretty well her and very busy, paramedics, ambulance and Olympics, no rest.
    evry one sends their best. Gil
    Gilrod

Thread Information