Default What is your motivation?

I am looking for all of your input on motivation. Problems you encounter with motivation and Success you thrive on. What works and what doesn't work to motivate you in dieting, fitness, job, life, etc. Thanks for your thoughts in advance.
    Clay

Well I'm not sure if this will answer your question or not. What motivates me as far as fitness is the fact that I believe if I'm not training, someone else is. If I'm not training, the fire is. If I'm not training, someone is eating some donuts and is trying to gain weight so I throw my back out liftin' 'em onto the gurney. As far as motivation goes, I set goals. Goals don't mean squat unless you have plan to reach them. Every day ask yourself what you did to get closer to your goals. If you can't find anything, either get new (reachable) goals, or get your butt in gear and don't do the same tomorrow. That's what works for me...
    ...if you put the handline in the right spot, you won't have to jump out the window...
    -Andy "Nozzles", SQ18, 9-11-01

John_Ford
    Firehouse.com Guest

To keep up with the young guys.

MembersZone Subscriber

I dodn't want to be the slug that can't hang with the rest of the crew at the calls.
    "What makes a person run into a building others are running out of?...Character."- Dennis Smith

www.elmirafire.org

My wife said she'd kill me if I had a Heart Attack. Plus the newbies are both female and I'm too hard headed to let them out do me.

I know this is probably sick, twisted thinking, but I see these 70 and 80 year olds that we transport to the hospital and I realize that I dont want to be like them. Same with the 40 and 50 year olds that are out of shape and having heart attacks. It really doesnt take that much effort to keep youself in shape so you can stay healthy.

I don't want to drop from a heart attack after a call.

And I'd like to be able to shop at Victoria's Secret for underwear agian!!

(Yes, I'm a chick)
    Bless all of our Fallen Brothers and Sisters. You will not be forgotten

MembersZone Subscriber

The main reason is that it feels a lot better to be in shape than to be a sluggo. I have been both over my 18 plus years so far in the Fire Service. I am just starting to get back into pretty good shape again after being a slug for awhile. Most of the previous posting I fully aggree with.

Another reason is that I am now on the dating scene again and need to attract that opposite sex my way to give me a chance in this crazy world.
    Front line since 1983 and still going strong

Hey GamecockFF, we have one of you all up here in Ohio on our department. He invited us over to his house last January to watch the Buckeyes and Gamecocks in the bowl game(I forget what they call that bowl game). Truthfully, I was rooting for your team because of Lou Holtz and the young running back from Troy Ohio. OSU had failed to recognize this kids ability, but Lou knows a football player when he see's one. Go Gamecocks!!!
    As far as what motivates me to eat right and exercise. I want to don my air mask and be able to perform search and rescue. We never know when we got to perform that extra effort...Life First...then property..that includes our life. I can't help somebody if I'm down and my pals are dragging my butt out, plus they're compromised now and the job becomes frustrated.
    I cut out ice cream, pop, and all the other sugar things, except for kids birthdays. I try to ride my dirt bike when I can, I used to race some motocross and still attempt speed from time to time. It's a good workout except for the crashes.
    I'm 47 years young is another motivator, I'm like the other reply..I want to hang with the young bucks. Be safe out there everyone and God bless you all!
    See you on the big one
    Billy Reiter, 1st Lieutenant/Chaplain available 24 7

Firebear235, I shopped at Victorias once (for my wife of course), could you explain why I was sweating when I "finally" left? I'm fairly good shape.
    See you on the big one
    Billy Reiter, 1st Lieutenant/Chaplain available 24 7

What motivates me? I'll tell you i was overrun by flames and burning embers that jumped the fire line during a forest fire,it took all the strength i had to get out of the difficult terrain i was in. I wasn't hurt but was certainly scared. Since then i decided i was going to step up my exercise training in order decrease the chances of getting hurt on a fire scene. I would suggest you set small acheivable goals first. Then once you start reaching these goals you will see how much easier the next set of goals becomes to reach. First check your schedule,see how much time you can truthfully devote to exercise. Once youv'e determined this,pick an exercise routine (there are millons of them around)start slow try not to over do it for a while this is a common mistake. Also remember to get plenty of rest as this is just as important as the exercising itself. Your body will be your guide it will let you know when to slow down, or speed up,so listen to it carefully. I have found some of the best workout routines in Muscle & Fitness magazine,try that as a resouce for info. also read up on dieting,eating right reasearch and a good knowledge of what your about to take on is always good. And perhaps you should consult your doctor before begining an exercise program get a physical and his advice. Good luck and enjoy your workouts!

Forum Member

1.its hard to perform if your not in good shape

2. Don't like to see rookies outperform me

3. chicks really dig it
    Firefighter/NREMT-P/Public Safety Diver
    May we ride into the darkness only to return as safe as we started!!

As the only "chick" in the firehouse, it will be a cold day on the equator before I let any of the boys show me up!!! It's motivation enough!!!!

Forum Member

An FD physical said I was over weight, that that is what started it. The Firefighters Combat Challenge is what continues it. Will be at World Challenge X in Memphis as a Firefighting Fossil, 50+ gang. But what now does it is the look of suprise from the DR's receptionist and nurse, when I went in for FD physical and they found out I was over 50. That really made the effort really worth it.

Thread Information