Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    UAF

Default Anybody else dealt with Plantar Fascitis or Achilles Tendon strains?

If you have any tips, please email me. Thanks.

OH GOD YES POSSIBLY THE WORST INJURY I HAVE EVER HAD BUT ONCE IT HEALED IT NEVER BOTHERED ME. DO WHAT THE ORTHO DOC SAYS TO THE LETTER.
    YES I AM A PROFESSIONAL FIRE FIGHTER AND YES I AM IN THE UNION

Take 4-6 weeks off from running. If you don't, it will only get worse. Ensure you have good running shoes - tread and fit (runners should have a lip on the heel to facilitate the rolling motion of heel to toe). Don't always run up one side of the road and down the other (use the same side both ways)- the road slopes for drainage and it may strain one side of your body more. Run on dirt or gravel not pavement or cement. Warm-up until you just start to sweat then stretch your calves, achilles etc. several times for at least 20-30 seconds. Cool down with walking and stretching. If it still hurts you, can get orthotics with a whole at the pressure point - you know the spot where it feels like a nail is going through your foot. If that doesn't work you can get it cut out. You don't actually need it - it serves no function. Another option would be to splint your foot at night with your toes toward your head. The reason it is so painful in the mornings is that it actually shortens, when you walk on it, you are stretching it.

Good Luck,
    Drťa

Every once in a while I get tendonitis in my left Achille's tendon and ankle (old softball injury).

When it does flare up, I try to take it easy, carefully stretching and I reduce my usual walking routine ( I average between 3 to 5 miles a day walking with my dogs)to shorter distances. I will also wrap my ankle and use Flexall or Ben Gay ointment on it.

[ 11-28-2001: Message edited by: Captain Gonzo ]</p>
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

I partially seperated my achilles once and have never been in so much pain. The doc said all i could do was rest and take pain and anti-inflamatory pills. Eventually it healed and now it's as good as new! The human body is a great thing. <br /> Good luck and hope you feel better soon!
    try it you'll like it

Talking

Roger I have this too but while telling another firefighter he told me to go to target or wall mart and get heel guards which cost about $5-10 which offer arch support . I wear them in all my shoes and no longer have a problem. Jamie

Thread Information