Thread: ATKINS DIET?

Post ATKINS DIET?

I need to lose like 65 pounds just for health and fitness reasons. I was really thinking about doing the atkins diet anyone have any expreience with it. I would apprecite any feed back.

Forum Member

A good diet method is the 500/500 plan. Eat 500 less calories a day and do 500 more calories of exercise a day. Thats a change of 7000 cal. per week or about 2#'s. Try to follow the food pyrimid cutting back on fats. Eat a balanced diet. Most diets say the same basic thing. take less in and expend more out. Good luck.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs down Atkins Diet

Tried it, do NOT like it.

I lost about 15# in the first two weeks, but i had a heckuva time staying on it. Despite what Atkins says, there is really not much varity on the diet unless you are into high $$ full-fat cheeses, Fois-Gras, and stuff like that.

I have been on Weight Watchers and doing a modified Firefighters workout (thanks Cap'n Stefano!) and have lost 20# in about a month.
    I also feel much better and have more energy.

just my $.02 worth, and as always YMMV.

Keep safe all,
    Jim RN-C FF/EMT

Default workout

How'bout the good ole' workout and healthy food? Seems to have the best long term value and is virtually for free.

Mike

Forum Member

The Atkins diet does work, but it can be a pain in the @ss. Espicailly if there are other people in the house, shopping becomes a pain.

Switching into ketosis lasted about 2 -3 days for me and I felt bad during that time, but after that i felt great and the weight does just fall off. One mistake a lot of people is trying to stay on the first portion of the diet forever you need to enter the second and third phases where you start to eat small amounts of carbs again.

One side effect I had during this diet was at a birthday party I had a small amount of cake and it almost made me sick (to much sugar I think)

I currently am off of the diet now, I did gain a lot of weight back, but I also quit exercising too so that it is myown damn fault.

Since then I've started doing something like Fitguy51 mentioned, I eat a little less, and hitting the gym again. You are probably better off with a diet where the loss is gradual, this give your body time to adjust.

Exercise is key, it doesn't even have to be something strenous, walk a mile or two 2-3 times a week.

Good luck
    Brian Jazudek
    Moon Run Fire - Rescue
    Assistant Chief/Training Officer
    http://www.moonrunvfd.org

"People ask me, why do you do it man? They don't understand, it's about the men next to you. That's all it is."

Hi...I tried the Atkin's diet and lost 20#...that was a
    year and a half ago...I am 37, with no family history
    of kidney stones...I have had 2 kidney stones within
    the last 2 mos....hmmm, coincidence?...I dont know, but
    I have been told it is a side effect from this diet...
    guess, I was one of the ones that thought, "it can't
    happen to me"...

I had a situation that was similar to Fire2626. I got on the diet, lost a bunch of weight, felt great...... and then one night my gall bladder hauled off and attacked me! My doctor said that was also a common side affect of the diet brought on by too much fat intake. So I agree with the others that said to eat less/exercise more. Unless of course you are REALLY into the "no pain, no gain" theory.
    A friend once told me to shoot first and ask questions later, I was going to ask him why....but I had to shoot him first.

Default fitness

A few of us have done the "body for life" thing and found it too strict. The adkins diet just seems wrong, and I don't see how its healty. I did find a book that seems to make sence. "Body Rx" by Dr. Scott Connelly. I got it from a Doctor frind of mine for my birthday earlier this year, now a month later every station has a copy and several of the guys are doing the program and getting results. One of the guys has lost close to 15lbs in two weeks and gained 25lbs on his bench. Just look the book over... it works.

Forum Member

I've heard so much about this atkins diet. Is this really effective?

Forum Member

I combined the Atkins diet with a 5x a week exercise schedule and lost about 50 pounds. I found the diet pretty easy to stay on except when travelling (hard to get enough Atkins food in a restaurant meal to satisfy). For various reasons I slacked off on the exercise and combined with several slips off the diet regained about 15-20 pounds.

For months I was still on the Atkins diet with only occassional exercise and had no weight loss at all. For the past year my weight has been pretty stable. I've had only an intermittent exercise program and have had pretty regular slips off the diet.

My conclusion is that if I had been eating like a normal person (no bags of jelly beans, whole pizzas, etc.) without going on any sort of special diet and had done the 5x a week exercise program I would have lost about the same amount of weight. The exercise seemed to make much more difference than the "diet".

Forum Member

I wonder if when you say you are doing this for health reasons if you have high cholesterol. The Atkin's diet is high in animal protein, which can be high in saturated fat and cholesterol and therefore can tend to elevate cholesterol levels. I diet high in animal protein is also associated with higher rates of osteoporosis. Too much protein can result in an acidic environment (metabolic acidosis) in our tissues. The body likes to keep things neutral, so it grabs the calcium, which is an alkaline material, from our bones. I think there are definately healthier ways to lose weight. It really is about going beyond a quick fix diet and making lifestyle changes that will give you results that will last longer than a week after you go off the diet. As some of the others have said, to lose weight you need to reduce calorie intake and increase your level of activity. If you are restricting your calories you want the foods you choose to be nutrient dense. Avoid processed foods and added fat. Include lots of whole foods such as fruits, vegetables, and whole grains. These provide lots of fiber, vitamins, minerals and anti-oxidants. Plant-based diets have been proven to reduce the risk of such illnesses as heart disease and diabetes. Many who eat a more plant-based diet lose weight. If you are interested there is a great book called the Engine 2 diet that goes into further detail. It is written by Rip Esselstyn, a firefighter at the time but he has since retired. In his book he has 2 diet plans, one that is all plant-based, the other incorporates small amounts of lean animal protein. His website, www.engine2diet.com is also a great resourse that offers additional information, recipes and meal plans. Good luck and good health.
    Last edited by ggoodwin; 03-14-2011 at 06:14 PM. Reason: spelling correction

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by rwalston View Post
    I need to lose like 65 pounds just for health and fitness reasons. I was really thinking about doing the atkins diet anyone have any expreience with it. I would apprecite any feed back.
    Hi everyone,,,
    Atkins as we all know is a powerful life-time approach that would help you to lose weight in a successful way.Atkins diet is a low-carbohydrate diet and have very few contents of fat in it.It is a highly recognized diet.
    The greatest of faults, I should say, is to be conscious of none.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by rwalston View Post
    Short answer: It works and it's not too difficult to live with. The trick is transitioning to a broader maintenance diet (aka healthy eating overall) once you reach your target weight.

Pair your weight lose diet, whatever it is, with an appropriate exercise program for best results and stick to that after you reach your target weight as well.
    "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"

The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

Thread Information