View Poll Results: Have you gotten used to the new forum yet?

Voters
63. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

20 31.75%
  • No

18 28.57%
  • SOmewhat

23 36.51%
  • Never will

2 3.17%
    IACOJ Agitator

Default Dumpster Fire (and a test of the Attach File feature)

We had a dumpster fire on 1-24-2002...some kids are going around torching dumpsters in the winter, brush the rest of the year....

An image should be attached...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking Looks like fun!!

If those kids are so bored, send them out here to Iowa. I know of a lot of barns that need to be cleaned out, and they won't be bored anymore!! It does make you think though, about having a "scared straight" kind of program in the fire service, having these "troublemakers" wash trucks, roll hose, etc. to pay the community back for the trouble they caused. Not as good as the ones you see with police-jail and the coroners, but it could have value to some of the kids. Just some random thoughts.

Latigo
    "Illigitimi Non Carborundum"

"The views expressed by me are solely my own, and in no way reflect the views of any organization which I belong to."

Forum Member

Question

Sorry to pick the picture apart but where is the firefighters breathing apparatus???in this day and age there is too many materials that produce toxic chemicals when set ablaze.I know i will probably hear the phrase"it's only a dumpster fire"but we need to start thinking about our safety first!!!

Maybe he's about to crack open the nozzle to drain the hose?

Some photos tell a lot, some a little. Without a series of photos, it's tough to tell the story here.

MembersZone Subscriber

I agree with dalmation....looks like they are getting ready to rap things up, and that the fire is mainly undercontrol.. Of course wear an airpack when knocking down the fire etc..
    Andrew
    Firefighter/EMT
    New Jersey

The other guy has a pack on, it looks like the guy with the line is about to drain it out.

IACOJ Agitator

Cool

hmmmm...should I settle this now or wait to see what creative things people come up with?

I do know the correct answer...want to see a series of photos?

http://www.broadbrook.org/dumpsterfi...01242002.shtml

Want to see the video that the pics were taken from? (DivX format)

Then go to the bottom of http://www.broadbrook.org/photos.shtml

Side note...another dumpster was lit Sunday night...
    Last edited by Adze39; 01-28-2002 at 09:30 PM.

Talking

Adze - How about a thank you for you for posting the pictures!

Thanks

Forum Member

Why does the guy on the nozzle look like he's in so much pain?

IACOJ Agitator

***double post...oops***

IACOJ Agitator

I laughed when I first looked at some of these pics, cuz it looked like he was scared of something...

The only thing I can think of is that it was drizzling that day so maybe his face was getting wet...

BoxAlarm - no problem
    Last edited by Adze39; 01-29-2002 at 04:07 PM.

hey adze,
    are you in any of the pictures for the dumpster fire, or are you behind the camera?
    9/11/01 forever in our hearts

IACOJ Agitator

I'm was the camera man...what else are you going to do when you drive the rescue to a dumpster fire? LOL

But seriously...the guy holding the knob and myself are hardly in any pics cuz we are always busy on the inside of the structure doing work...Go to our website and take a look at the Mill Pond fire from last Feb. Myself and the LT in the pic were on the 2nd engine in and we did the most work. The only pic of me was taken by another FF with a disposable camera on the inside...the guys from the 1st engine were posing for pics...****ed myself and the Loo off...The following link was the ONLY pic of me taken during that structure fire and this pic was taken during overhaul... Pic of me from last feb

Try this and see if you like it, We had problems with dumpsters as well, who knows what's inside them? What we started doing is to use the deck gun with either a 1-3/8 or 1-1/4 tip. If the lid has not burned off have 1 guy pop it open with a pike pole and just rain it in. Since our engines have 500 gal tanks (and you have to fill up the dumpster to prevent a rekindle anyway) we just unload the tank throught the gun, then stir (check for bodies) and POOF! dumpster soup. It's safe and easy.

We had a dumpster fire yesterday. Just some ashes from a fireplace. As for making dumpster soup, it ****es off the city trash guys. You know how hard it is to lift a dumpster full of ice???? It's easier for us just to pull a line, drown it out, stir it and spray a little more. Poof, fire out, pack it up and go home.

Stay safe
    O.L. FF/EMT G.V.F.D.

forget ppe and scba for dumpster fires...avoid heat stress etc...use the best protection available...distance! (and the wagon pipe, as previously mentioned)

IACOJ Agitator

Originally posted by DCFF
    forget ppe and scba for dumpster fires...avoid heat stress etc...
    Heat stress from fighting dumpster fires during January in New England is not a common thing!

As for whether the LT was wearing an air pack...yes, he was. He had taken it off and was holding the knob while the two other guys who were wearing packs went to take them off, then he drained the line.

Forum Member

Talking

Yep, Dumpster soup sounds about right. We do the "fill and drown" alot of times as alot, if not most, of the dumpsters seem to have drain plugs along the bottom. (Or there's a plug there that functions as one just as well.)
    The bummer was one not too long ago that was a recycling container. It was a steel shipping container that was being filled with stacked newspapers. The local oxygen thieves got bored, lit it off, and pushed the door almost shut. It was going pretty good before it was noticed, and we pretty much had to rake it out as we sprayed it down as it had burned down along the sides.
    I wish there was some sort of recomp system that the little oxygen thieves could be put through. Nothing like that though.....
    HazMat
    ---
    We gotta be nuts...we're running in when the rats & roaches are running out!

Let No Victim's Ghost Say That We Didn't Try
    ---
    Disclaimer:
    These are my opinions, and only mine, and do not reflect the views of my department.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Foam

A Scotty type pack does a nice job with some Class A foam at 1/2-1%. If you have a lot of trash just soak it down and it usual does the trick and very little chance of restarts. Usually only takes a pint or so of foam.
    "Illegitimis non carborundum."

- Gen. Joseph Stilwell
    (Lat., "Don't let the *~#%&S grind you down.")

Forum Member

Regarding the poll question...

I've gotten used to the forums but now had to "one up" the 8 year-old "helmet color" thread by digging up the oldest, unlocked thread I could find.

Boom!
    DFW

"There's no such thing as a free lunch."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dfwfirefighter View Post
    Regarding the poll question...

I've gotten used to the forums but now had to "one up" the 8 year-old "helmet color" thread by digging up the oldest, unlocked thread I could find.

Boom!
    I suspect your little victory lap here is unwarranted, seein' as how most of these previous posters are in nursing homes now. But hey, it's a moral victory!
    I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth, in fact, because I was born in Kentucky.
    ― Hunter S. Thompson

Thread Information