Forum Member

Default hazmat team question

Hello

Our dept. is finally going to put together a hazmat team.We've had the equipment now for nearly 4 years.I presume the events of Sept. 11 is why management is doing this.My question to someone out there who would know is,we are a paid dept. Do other depts. who have hazmat teams pay the members extra or give them extra vacation? I believe they think that members will volunteer to be on this hazmat team,take extensive training,maybe carry a pager,put added stress and strain on themselves and their families for no other reason then to say there on the team!

Forum Member

Cool

Hi MFDBOB. We are forming a team also, one of the first questions we asked is about pay. As it stands now, we are paid for training, running calls when you are off duty. Good luck and be safe.

Joe

Im not sure but I thik our HAZ MAT team members are paid overtime when on a HAZ MAT call unless they are already in duty but like I said im not exactly sure.
    LADIES LOVE ME.
    FLAMES FEAR ME.

"I PLEDGE ALLEGIANCE TO THIS FLAG, IF THAT BOTHERS YOU WELL THATS TOO BAD!" AARON TIPPIN

If you wish to burn our flag please remember to wrap yourself in it first!!!

ALL SOUTHERNERS ARE EXEMPT FROM ANY AND ALL OF MY YANKEE COMMENTS ON ANY AND ALL FORUMS.

THE SOUTH WILL RISE AGAIN!!!

Smile Pay change for team members

My Department had the first team on the east coast formed in 1982. At that time, Team members recieved an extra $1200 a year and are paid overtime for all call backs off duty and for team training off duty. Today those figures still stand. We have a great team with 27 members, 9 per shift. We would like to see a increase in the $1200 per year rate, but atleast we do recieve something.

As of 4-1-2002 all team members are getting a 2% raise plus $300.
    This will give the average team member a total of $2300 for being a Hazmat team member.
    Last edited by NNFD; 03-04-2002 at 02:16 PM.

Forum Member

Default hazmat team

Our hazmat team is part of a MABAS Division hazamat team. You might want to check with your surronding fire departments to see if they have intrest in forming one big team. I know of some teams that are county wide

We get $1500.00 per year plus overtime for training and responses. It took a few years to get this through. Our team members have to sign a five year contract when they join.

Default HazMat Pay

I am on the HazMat team on my Dept. and we recieve $50 extra pay a month. Not much for the extra training we are required. We also are paid overtime for any call back we have to respond to. We all carry pagers off duty so the dept can get us if we need to come in for an emergency. The extra pay is not much but we also can recieve extra pay for other area such as college education or State Cert. Level.

Roger Groves
    Longview Fire Dept.
    Longview, Tx

Thumbs up HazMat Pay

We started building our HazMat Team approx. around 1980. Our Department has collective bargaining with the City so this is how our HazMat pay is on our Contract right now. Depending on your rank if you are assigned to the HazMat District Co. each member gets 8 percent of his base pay. Our rank structure for the responding HazMat Team are fire-fighter, assist Driver, Driver, Captain, District Chief.
    jrmarti

Thread Information