Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread

Thread: New leather

Forum Member

Talking New leather

Woo hoo! I got the OK to order myself a leather helmet! Hello Sam Houston! Bye Bye salad bowl!

(can't wait can't wait can't wait )

So, how does one put a "Bronx Bend" into the rear brim? Just curious.
    Last edited by HTFD4107; 01-28-2002 at 10:20 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Congrats on recieving the ok to wear a leather; you won't be disapointed!

As for the Bronx bend, you'll hear varying opinions. A true Bronx bend brings the brim down quite a bit, almost 90 degrees to the rest of the helmet. Most people prefer to put only a very slight bend into the brim. To put a bend in the back brim, fill a sink with hot water; it should be hot, but not so hot that you can't put your hands into the water. Hold your helmet in the water for a few minutes to slowly soften the leather, then pull it out, place it on a flat surface such as the edge of a counter or table so that the brim hangs over the edge with the rest of the helmet remaining level, and carefully bend the leather with your hands. Don't bend the leather too much at a time, go slowly and alternate between the water and bending until the shape looks good to you. A note of caution, don't use excessive heat, or bend the leather too much or you'll damage the leather. The major criticism of putting a true Bronx bend into a helmet is that it often damages the brim due to the sharpness of the bend, but as long as you stick to a slight, gradual bend, you should be ok.

Good luck, and enjoy your new helmet!

Talking

Congrats Bro! I just got mine(N5A)today!! I Love it!!
    The only thing is that my mom is gonna' KILL me!
    LEATHER FOREVER!!!!!!!

EUitts

Does the bend crack the paint?
    It's only my opinion. I do not speak for any group or organization I belong to or associate with or people I know - especially my employer. If you like it, we can share it, you don't have to give me credit. If you don't, we are allowed to disagree too (but be ready to be challenged, you may be on to something I'm not). That's what makes America great!

MembersZone Subscriber

If you're careful, take your time, and don't bend too far, you shouldn't have any problems with the paint cracking. I've done two of my own helmets, one when it was brand new and one after I had repainted it, and didn't have any problems with paint cracking on either.

Years ago, we had a group of guys put bends in their issued helmets. Because the powers-that-be didn't like this group of guys, they decided to ban the Bronx Bends in issued helmets. None of the helmets (5-6 that I can remember) had a problem with paint cracking.

The only problem came when a LT was ****ed when he saw one of the bends and decided he was going to "straighten out the helmet". Needless to say, he snapped off the rear brim. They then gave that guy a salad bowl and refused to give him another leather. Probably less then a year later, most of that group left our department and went across town to Warehouse Point.

small blue Hey sweet that you got you leather man. I just got mine about 2 weeks ago and I love it you won't regret buying one better then those metros lol well congrats
    "Go in as a team, Come out as a team"

MembersZone Subscriber Firespritz's Avatar

Any one have any good deals on a Red leather helmet?? Email me.

I have a n5a. I love my leather, it sure beats a metro. Save the tupperwear for the dinner.

Thread Information