Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Info about DOD Fire Dept's

The Federal Firefighter's forum never gets to much activity and I'd like to know more about the other Federal FD's out there. I'm a member of Navy regional Fire Rescue Hampton Roads, a newly consolidated regional dept that includes all of the Naval installations in the Southeastern, Va area. At the Norfolk Naval Base where I am at we have 4 stations, with 5 engine companies, 1 ladder company, 2 squad companies, 5 airfield crash companies, 1 medic unit (a quick response unit that only carries the paramedic and equipment), and 5 chiefs per shift total. We also have a Haz-Mat team, technical rescue team, and shipboard capabilites. Most of all FF's are a minimum of EMT, with a few Shock Trauma techs, and a few PM's. All of the Engines have ALS capability if their is an ALS provider on htem for that shift. The actual transport ambulance is provide by the Navy Clinic on base and manned by Corpsman. Most of all of are calls are EMS and activated Box Alarms. Yes, we still use the Gamewell Box system for almost every building on base. Most of our fires come from an automatic mutual aid agreement with the city of norfolk. 2 of our engine companies have their own first due area into the city for EMS and structure fires. Thrown in a few Haz Mat calls, an occasional Aircraft emergency, ship fire, and fuel spill and that makes up the compliment of the majority of our calls. The other bases in the region have pretty much the same responsibility as we do. A total of 8 bases make up the regional fire dept. Regionalization is only about two years old for us, so its pretty new. All you Federal FF's send in some info for us few who choose to protect Uncle Sam's property and personnel.

These statements do not reflect the opinion of the Fire Department that I work for.

Default Southern Neighbor

Hello from MCAS Cherry Point NC. We operate out of three stations. Station One is the main station and has 1 Eng Co with four personel that cross man a Heavy Rescue and a Haz-mat truck (A ford box van, nothing as nice as you have up there). Station Two has a 55 Foot Squirt and our water rescue (Boat-1 25 foot Sea Ark, Boat-5 18 foot Boston Whaler, Boats Two & Three are Boom boats and Boat 4 is a skimmer) Station Three has one Eng Co and our Brush Truck.
    We first respond with EMS on all medicals and Station 3 is pretty much an Auto-aide call for the town of Havelock. Minimum staffing is 14 a shift (12 on trucks 1 AC 1 Dispatcher) Just recieved a new Pierce for the main Station, Possability of a new brush truck this year and the Squirt goes back to Pierce this year for rehab. Now all we need is a REAL Haz-mat truck
    Mainly run Smells, bells and fainten spells.
    Last edited by NCFiremedic; 01-29-2002 at 08:13 PM.
    Dean Urquhart
    I used to only have One President, Charleton Heston, then came George. Now I'm lucky enough to have a third.... Capt Gonzo

Here at NAS Fort Worth, TX, we operate out of one station with three ARFF companies and two engine companies and a rescue squad. We also maintain auxillary hazardous materials and confined space rescue units. We have a rescue boat, a spill response barge, and a vacuum truck used for haz mat spills. All of this is currently jammed in one station, but from what I understand, another is in the works.Most of our calls are medical responses or haz mat spills, but we do get quite a few aircraft emergencies. We run mutual aid with the city quite often and have an automatic aid agreement with a portion of Fort Worth. Most of our fires are related to mutual aid calls. The biggest in recent memory was a 15 million gallon storage tank fire with the city of Fort Worth. That got pretty interesting.

MembersZone Subscriber GENAFIRE's Avatar

Cool DOD/FED. FIRE DEPT.

I CANT OFFER ANY HELP REGARDING MILITARY FIRE DEPARTMENTS,BUT I AM A FIREFIGHTER WITH A FEDERAL AGENCY. IN FACT, LAST SUMMER MY STATION WAS THE BUSIEST FIRESTATION NATIONWIDE WITH THIS AGENCY! I WORK FOR THE USDA FOREST SERVICE...(SMOKEY THE BEARS DEPT.).
    I LIVE AND WORK IN SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA.WE ARE PRIMARILY WILDLAND FIREFIGHTERS BUT RESPOND TO ALL OTHER 911 CALLS IN OUR AREA AS WELL.OUR CALLS RANGED FROM VIOLENT TC'S,FATALITY SHOOTINGS,STRUCTURE FIRES,TRAIN FIRES,BRUSH FIRES,ALL MEDICAL EMERGENCIES,HAZ MAT-EVERYTHING. THE ADVANTAGE TO WORKING FOR THE FOREST SERVICE IS MOBILITY.
    BEING A FEDERAL AGENCY WE CAN BE SENT ANYWHERE IN THE COUNTRY OR WORLD TO ASSIST IN EMERGENCY SITUATIONS.YOU GET TO SEE A LOT OF NEAT PLACES ,MEET A LOT OF INTERESTING PEOPLE,AND LEARN A LOT.THE ONLY DRAWBACK I THINK, IS WHEN YOU FIRST START YOU ARE HIRED ON AS SEASONAL,LAID OFF IN WINTERTIME FOR COUPLE OF MONTHS ,THEN GO BACK WHEN FIRE SEASON STARTS AGAIN. THIS IS OK ,BUT AFTER A COUPLE OF SEASON REALLY SUCKS,UNLESS YOU ARE INDEPENDANTLY WEALTHY.HOWEVER, AFTER YOU PUT IN A COUPLE OF SEASONS YOU CAN QUALIFY FOR A FULL TIME POSITION AND IFF OFFERED IT YOUR IN LIKE SLIM!
    YOU MAKE EXCELLENT MONEY,AND A STEADY PAYCHECK AND WHEN FULLTIME FULL BENEFITS TOO...IM CONVERTING FROM SEASONAL TO FULLTIME RIGHTR NOW MYSELF.
    DONT KNOW IF YOU CONSIDERED WORKING FOR THE USFS OR IF ITS AN OPTION,BUT IT IS A FEDERAL DEPT. SO I THOUGHT I WOULD LET YOU KNOW..
    GOOD LUCK TO YOU IN YOUR SEARCH.
    GENELLE

Forum Member

Default DoD Fire Dept's

From Wright Patterson AFB, Ohio:
    The Birthplace, Home, and Future of Aviation

WPFD has four stations. Two are structural houses, two are crash/dash houses. The 100+ man department divides with the usual 2 platoon system, minimum manning is 30. Lots of overtime due to TDY for training, sick leave, and just not enough hired bodies to go around. We're hiring--you looking ?
    Station 1 (Headquarters)is operated with a P-22 Engine, a 95' Tower Ladder, Chief 2, and a 2500gal Tanker (soon to be replaced with the 5000gal Tanker). Tanker is cross-manned. Chief 1, and Tech Services (Inspections) also are quartered here. FACC (Dispatch/911) from 1's also.
    Station 2 (The Big House)is home to Rescue 20 a Heavy Rescue, and Crash 21 a TI-3000, the newest Crash Truck in the inventory. The TI-3000 has a 50' Snozzle on top with penetrator capabilities. Also stationed here is the Haz-Mat truck & trailer. Depending on the mood at the moment there could be a 1500gal foam tanker and/or a P-19 crash truck. Rescue & Crash 21 are staffed, anything else is cross-manned. District Chief 2 also rides out of 2's.
    Station 3 (West Ramp)is home to a pair of P-23 Crash Trucks, a P-24 Engine and District Chief 3. The engine is cross-manned.
    Station 4 (The Rock) runs with a pair of P-22 Engines, a Medium Rescue, and District Chief 4. 4's protects the 'far side of the world', including many research labs, experimental centers, and the USAF Museum. (this is where they keep the aliens!)
    Most of the usual flavors of responses are available--structural, automatic alarms, EMS, airfield. Even catch an auto accident on base every now and then. Also get out with Mutual Aid frequently. 1's just caught a big worker on an abandoned feed mill outside the fence last week. L-10 & E-11 got to play. The Heavy Rescue responds on all alarms, fires, and airfield things, plus responds with the Base Medics (Ambulance) for EMS calls in their area. Quite a busy piece....... All in all, business if fairly consistent here. Like many other military spots we have those fun 'other duties as assigned' things to put up with, too. Be safe, have fun, live long...........

firedog30.
    You wouldn't be a skinny little runt formerly from my neck of the woods would you ? If not please go and rap on Kevins head and say hi from Dean for me.
    Dean Urquhart
    I used to only have One President, Charleton Heston, then came George. Now I'm lucky enough to have a third.... Capt Gonzo

Thumbs up

Greetings from Fort Campbell KY.

Here we run a total of four stations. 1 structural(headquarters), 2 combination crash/structural and 1 crash.

Station 1 responds with a E-One Rescue pumper, Marion Medium Rescue, Thibault 85' Ladder, and a Hummvee outfitted with a dry chem system

Station 2 responds with a FTI pumper and an Osh Kosh P-19 CFR

Station 3 responds with a E-One pumper, E-One Titan 6 CFR, E-One Titan 8 CFR, KME Tanker/Brush Truck(currently in rehab), GMC utility.

Station 4 responds with a E-One Titan 1500

Station 1, 2 and 3 are our structural stations. Station 1 responds on all calls and stations 2 and 3 split the response area in half.

Station 2 covers one airfield. Stations 3 and 4 are responsibly for the other airfield.

Majority of our calls are for master alarms (false calls).

Hope this information assists you.

MembersZone Subscriber Frozenhosehead's Avatar

Default DoD Fire Dept's

Hello, I work on Ft. Wainwright Army post ( largest army post in the North as far as base and training area) way up here in the frozen Arctic of Alaska. http://fwfd.homestead.com/index.html[/URL]
    We operate out of 3 stations with a minimum of 16 personnel and usually run over a 1000 runs a year. Most are medical and auto alarms or trouble alarms from Gi's burning candles or using illegal george foreman grills or other cooking devices in their rooms. We took over the Ambulance a few years ago from the hospital in the hopes of improving care on post. We just got our own full time Paragod and he works 60 hrs a week. He is in charge of Ems and medical training. Most of our Civilians are EMT's for the State of Alaska (I, II or III) some of the military are NREMT B and some state. We have a supposedly 3 post concept between Ft. Richardson
    (Anchorage) and Ft. Greely (Delta Junction) with a "Command Fire Chief". Ft Greely is under BRAC and is supposed to be coming under the Missle Defense Command. There is no military left and they maintain one Engine Co. for the base proper. Since I have been working here all of the posts seem to be singing from different sheets of music. The Command Chief comes here from FT. Rich once a month for a whole week and well you know "CHAOS" is usually the case. Here at Wainwright Station one runs the 100' Pierce ladder(Currently out of service) replaced with new Engine 3 a 3000 Gal KME we stole from Greely, Engine 4 a Pierce pumper the ambulance , Chief 2, a Titan 3000 and some support vehicles. Station 2 by the hospital has a 99 KME and a Titan 1500. Station 3 has a 99 KME, 1200 Gal Tender KME, old chevy w/rescue body and a hazmat van usually at station 2. Station 2 usually runs Mutual Aid with the City of Fairbanks and Station 3 runs MA with North Star a Busy Combi Dept.(They get lots of GREAT working fires) Our dept. is in the process of getting rid of some older vehicle and eventually getting newer ones to replace them but Im not holding my breath. Some days we have a crash or a wildland mission and sometimes we don't Depends on the Chief's mood I guess. We are going through a lot of changes in our dept and we never know what to expect when we show up for work. I can only hope things will get better. We have a hard time getting our Dept. to pay for training because we are out here in the BOONDOX and our training officer is working hard to solve this age old problem. We I guess I'll get off my soapbox now cause I know you all have your problems too. Hey it's a great pay check but I think we need a raise just to put up with all the political crap we have to wade through.

Take Care and Be Safe and " GOD Bless us All "
    Brad Hoff, North Pole Alaska
    "Protecting the Defenders of Freedom"
    FT. Wainwright Fire & Emergency Svcs
    North Star VFD, www.northstarfire.org

DTRT, EGH, RFB, FTM-PTB, KTF

"Keepin it REAL in the LAST FRONTIER"

"Firefighter Extraordinaire"

"If a firefighter was buck naked and given three ball bearings, then placed in a round room with no windows and only one entrance, he or she would emerge with two missing and one broken".

MembersZone Subscriber

Idon't want to date myself but,when i worked for the DOD we used 530 B & C pumpers and old internationals from the mid 1960's.From reading all your posts it looks like the DOD has upgraded their fleet a great deal.Now if you guys can get them to reduce the hours and pay alittle better it would'nt be such a bad job. mike m former Federal FF.

Cool Fort Campbell Fire Department Profile

What's up from Fort Campbell Army Post in Kentucky.

Fort Campbell is 105,000 Acres located on the border of Tennessee & Kentucky. Approximately 90,000 acres are ranges and impact areas. There are over 8,000 buildings on post, and 5,000 of these are family housing. Our daytime population ranges from 60,000 to 90,000 military personnel, civilians, and dependants. Fort Campbell is home to the 101st Airborne Division (Air Assault), 5th Group Special Forces, and the 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment. The base is 50 miles Northwest of Nashville. The base has 4 fire stations.

Fort Campbell has 1 airfield and 2 heliports. Campbell Army Airfield is one of the largest airfields on an Army Installation. There are 475 aircraft assigned here : AH-64 Apache, CH-47 Chinook, OH-6, OH-58, and UH-60 Blackhawk. We also see a large assortment of transient aircraft at CAAF due to the mission of the 101st. We often see the following aircraft : C-5, C-17, C-130, C-141, KC-10, KC-135, B-1, B-52, AWACS, 727, 737, 747, 757, 767, L10-11, and fighters from all the services, I've even got to see the Space Shuttle Orbiter when it stopped here during a ferry flight from Edwards AFB to Kennedy Space Center.

Fire Station 1
    Fire Station One in centrally located to reach all areas on post. It is primarily a structural station, but also provides ARFF support to medivac helicopters that land at Blanchfield Army Community Hospital. The offices for the Fire Chief, Assistant Chief, Training Officer, and Fire Prevention are also located here. Station 1 houses the following apparatus:

3 Command SUV's
    1997 E-One 1250 GPM Rescue Pumper
    1995 International Heavy Rescue
    1985 Thibault 85' Aerial Apparatus
    4 Fire Prevention Trucks

Fire Station 2
    Fire Station 2 is located at Sabre Army Heliport. It provides ARFF support for the Heliport, and structural support for the post. Sabre houses the following apparatus :

2001 E-One Custom Pumper
    1985 Oshkosh P-19

Fire Station 3
    Station 3 is located at Campbell Army Airfield. It provides the bulk of the ARFF support for CAAF. It houses the following equipment :

1997 E-One Titan 3000
    2000 E-One Titan HPR 8x8
    2001 E-One Custom Pumper (Rebuild)
    1988 FTI 1000 GPM Pumper (Reserve Engine)
    1989 FTI 1000 GPM Pumper (Reserve Engine)
    2002 Pierce Tanker

Fire Station 4
    Station 4 is located on Destiny Heliport, which is attached to CAAF. Station 4 provides ARFF support to the heliport, as well as CAAF. It houses the following equipment :

1995 E-One Titan 1500
    Last edited by arffnick; 02-23-2002 at 12:34 PM.

Question Job Openings

Hey FireDog, You guys still hiring?? I am looking for a paid job and Federal seems like a great place to start off in. Anyone have info on hirings please e-mail me. Thanx!
    This is your brain... Pierce
    This is your brain on drugs... E-One

Konichiwa from Okinawa, Japan. I am an Asst. Chief for MCB Camp Smedley D. Butler Fire Department. We cover 7 camps here on island and Camp Fuji up near Tokyo. We run Morita pumpers and ladder trucks built on Nissan and Isuzu truck chassis. We have over 200 total personnel with 5 of them being USCS and the rest local nationals. Working overseas is a great way to see new places, meet interesting folks (all on Uncle Samís dime) and promote quickly. We run lots of range fires and medical aides and more false fire alarms than you can shake a stick at.

You all take care; it's nice to see a thread take off in the Fed FF's forum finally.
    Brian Johnson
    Assistant Chief
    Okinawa, Japan

Thumbs up

Hello Everyone!

Wright-Patt is/was hiring 9 firefighters(closing date was today 3-15), 6 at the GS-06 level and 3 at GS-04 level. The sixes must have as a minimum FFII, Hz-Mat Ops, and Ohio EMT or better. Fours just need to be warm and breathing. The Chief has waved the IFSAC certs for this round of hiring. Not enough qualified applicants have applied the last few times. He will be looking for "local" people that will not have the nasty habit of moving away after we train them. We hope to get the new hires their IFSAC certs within the first couple of years. It is an idea that I personally support. If we can hire a few people from someplace other than the other department where he is a deputy chief, we should get some good people. Okay, maybe even a few from Harrison!

To mike m, we do work a 72 hour work week but with the pay as it is now, new GS-06 step 1 employees will be making $43,000 +. The hours suck but that is a great "starting" wage for anyone. Our equipment is getting old, at least the engines are. We need another light rescue for area "B"

This is a good time to come to Wright-Patt. We have a new chief that rose from a GS-03 lawn mower as a high school student, up to the chief of one of the largest fire departments in DOD (single site).He is not one of those Chiefs that hopscotched around tech services and dispatch to get a higher pay grade, he earned his. (Sorry tech services and dispatchers but operations is were it is at )He is a firefighter with a profound love of the job. There will be a substantial turnover in the next 2 years which will give great career potential to many. It is too late for this hiring cycle but there will be more soon. I will try to let you know when another job is posted.

PS: We have a strong Union with all dues paying members except for one person that is not. Most chief officers (including the new Chief) have been Union officials in their careers at some point and are proud to have the IAFF sticker in their windows.
    Roy Colbrunn (Tank)
    IAFF Local F-88 Sec/Treas

MembersZone Subscriber

Roy
    i started working for the DOD in 1977 as a GS-4 FF.The starting pay was a little over 8,ooo per year,and we were still working 72 hours a week.I left the feds to work as a FF with new york city(FDNY).Its good to see that the pay has really improved to where it is compatible with some of the municipalities.Just a quick question for other feds,what is the normal GS entry level for new federal FF's coming into the service now.

mike m,once a fed always a fed at heart

Here at NAS Fort Worth they seem to hire most new guys in as GS-05's, but they must have all of the IFSAC certifications prior to applying for the position. They don't seem to grant any grace period for attaining the required certifications. I have seen a few guys hired as GS-04's, but am not sure how they handled the hiring and certification process.

Thread Information