Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Question Age Requirements

I understand that this is a forum for career firefighters, which I am not, but this is a question only you could answer. I am planning on going into the military this summer for a term of 4 years, and when I come out I would like to have a career in the fire service. Is there a mazimim age for new recruits in career departments, and if so what is it? I am 24 now and would be 28 when I come out, is that too old?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

Jon

No maximum age here, except that you have to retire at age 60. I was 36 when I got in the job, admitedly I would have prefered to get in at 26,but what ya gonna do.

Forum Member

Wink age??

You're Cool if you find a job in a reasonable time. Look to take your test while still in the military. you will be on a list for a couple of years. the age in some places is as high as 39 but they may require 25 years for a pension. and you have to consider the possibilities of layoffs. As popular as Firefighting is these days it appears that there is a Movement across the northeast to cut Firefighters to hold the line on taxes. cases Flint Mich, Loraine, Ohio, Niagara Falls NY, Rochester, NY,Jamestown NY, Schenectady, NY and the list is growing. With all the flag waving they are just bashing the HE44 out of their local guys while loving the FDNY guys. Oh yes be sure to get to be a Paramedic at some point. you can go south or even to Alaska where there is a current opening for a FF/Paramedic with wages of $50,000 to $65,000 to start!! And no Income tax in AK!
    prepare for the worst<br />Hope for the best

Cool

Around here the cut off point is 36 and there is a 25 yr. til you get your pension. Get as much training in that you can the bonus points do help. take as many tests as you can for jobs because the wheels of government turns real slow when it comes to fire dept. staffing.
    Stay cool, Be safe

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Depends on the state and department

Here in Indiana, you must be hired before 35. It all depends on the department and state, though. I believe FDNY has a max age of 29, for instance. Take the time to make a few calls to the departments i nthe area you are interested in so you know before you head out.

Forum Member

Cool

We dont have a max age limit, just have to be over 21. In my town our retirement is on a 80 and out( your age and time in service ). I beleave that all of the city's in Missouri have this.

Joe

MembersZone Subscriber jsdobson's Avatar

Jon,

My department has a minimum age of 18 to apply with no known maximum. You have to pass some pretty stringent academic and physical testing and that weeds out all ages.

As Spuddy98 said, we don't have a state income tax. YET However, that will probably change in the near future.

As others have said, the paramedic license carries you farther down the trail than the basic FF/EMT.
    BE SAFE
    Before Everything, Stop And First Evaluate

I would suggest that you join the Air Force (Firefighter). There you will get your Firefighter I & II, Airport Certification, experience and an opportunity to get your degree in fire science as well as a national paramedic certification. You will have to be very aggressive in achieving all you can get. Other good certifications will also help(like technician haz-mat fire officer course). The more you get, the better chance you will have. If you had all of the above, you can almost pick your department when you get out of the service. Itís a lot of training all at once but it will pay off big for you future.
    There is a requirement of age 18 to 35 for the Air Force Firefighter.

In New Jersey, you have to be hired before your 36th birthday but, if you have military service, you can add those years of service to you age. If you serve 6 years of military service, you can come in up to 42 years old. You will need to buy the pension time though. Good luck, whatever you do, don't go Rural/Metro, big mistake if you do.

Crossfire 3 pretty much summed it up for Indiana. Our age limit is because of the state managed retirement plan.. (Policemen & Firemen's PERF) However there are some departments in this state that do not participate in the PERF, therefore the age requirement is subject to local guidelines. I would like to encourage you in pursuit of the best career in the world. (maybe not the highest paid though)
    GOOD LUCK!!
    Take Care & Be Safe

Thread Information