MembersZone Subscriber

Unhappy What's the outlook for a career FF position

It seems that getting a job as a career firefighter is looking more and more doubtful. There are departments that are on a hiring freeze (Minneapolis for ex.) and there is more and more talk of layoffs across the country.

Does the President's proposal for fire funding include hiring new firefighters? How long do you think the firefighters will be able to work off these funds? One more Q: Does anyone see any hope that the fire service will be able to hire firefighters in the next several years?

It seems that I keep reading horror stories about people seeking a career FF position.

Forum Member

There are plenty of departments hiring if you look around.
    I suggest you do research prior to applying, I got on a department and moved half way across the country and found out I did not like the area I just moved to.
    If you want a career job; study, work out and read as much as you can. Don't be discouraged, on the avearage it takes four years testing once a month to land a job (that's not my statistic- I read it somewhere).
    I know Colorado has been hiring allot the last several years. We are hiring approx. 115 over the next few years (apps. are due soon you can apply over the internet).
    Good luck...
    If you want it bad enough..work for it.

Stay safe.

MembersZone Subscriber

Wink

Boston is getting deperate for application. You just need to live in Boston. Good Luck find a job

Forum Member

Getting a job as a firefighter can be pretty hard and I know quite a few people who I went to fire school with who have given up. It is dissapointing when someone less quallifing or less deserving gets a job and you don't. I applied to many places before I finaly got on and many times I was passed up because someone else on the list new someone in the dept or because affermitive action said certain people needed to be hired to make the dept more ethnicly diverse, even though I scored higher than them. All I can say is don't give up. If you have to go to a dept that isn't the one you wanted to work for then do it. Get your foot in the door and get some experience. You just might like the dept after all. This is the best job thier is and if it takes some time to get on, so be it. Don't give up, you will resent it if you do.

What departments are condsidering laying
    off people? Is there some type of law that
    you have to have so many firefighters for
    so many people?

Red face

MembersZone Subscriber

It was in the newspaper and I don't have it anymore. If I'm able to find it on the internet I'll post it.

I believe there was a guy in Kentucky (don't remember) that was being laid off but has primary choice at any fire dept. in the state when positions become available.

There was also something about 3-4 firefighters lossing their jobs due to funding. The chief was going to try and stop that from happening by getting less expensive ladder trucks.

Forum Member

Arrow Nicholasville Ky is Hiring!

Nicholasville Fire Department
    Announcement of Firefighter Recruit Testing:
    The Nicholasville Ky. Fire Department will begin accepting applications for the position of Recruit Firefighter the application period will run from February 4th 2002 through 4:00 PM February 22nd, 2002. The hiring process includes a written civil service type examination, a physical agility test, a VERY thorough background check and oral interview board. Applications can be obtained from the Nicholasville City Hall located at 517 North Main Street, Nicholasville Kentucky 40356, Monday - Friday from 9 - 4 EST.

Minimum Requirements: must be 21 years of age, have a clean background, high school diploma or GED minimum, college degree preferred.

Experience in firefighting, EMS or a similar field is not required but
    will be taken into consideration. Certifications such as EMT, Paramedic, and IFSAC Firefighter I & II will also be considered.

Starting salary is $ 20,537.00 with an additional state incentive pay of $3,000.00 upon completion of the Ky. minimum 400-hour level. Residency in county is not required, fully paid family health and dental insurance, 20 - year Ky. Hazardous Duty retirement package, and many other benefits are included with this position.

Other information:
    Nicholasville is a community of 20,000 plus located just south of
    Lexington Ky. Nicholasville is the second fastest growing community in the state. The Nicholasville Fire Department is a fully paid department currently staffed with 33 officers and firefighters manning two engines and 1 truck company working a 24/48-hour shift. The new firefighters from this class will bring an additional 9 firefighters to the current staffing. These positions will be added in spring 2002 along with the addition of a 3rd Engine Company and new station. The Nicholasville Fire Department provides Fire and Rescue Services within our community and supplements the local EMS
    Service on a first responder role as needed.
    For more Information contact (859) 885- 5505 or Email at Nicholasville FD.

Forum Member

Arrow Covington Ky

APPLICATIONS WILL BE ACCEPTED FOR THE POSITION OF FIREFIGHTER WITH THE CITY OF COVINGTON, KENTUCKY, UNTIL 4:30 P.M. APRIL 5, 2002. WRITTEN EXAMINATION AND ORAL INTERVIEWS WILL BE ADMINISTERED TO ESTABLISH AN ELIGIBILITY LIST FROM WHICH THE CITY WILL HIRE ON AN AS NEEDED BASIS.

CURRENT ENTRY SALARY $ 532.14 WEEKLY, EXCLUDES SUPPLEMENTAL PAY.
    MINIMUM AGE 18.
    HIGH SCHOOL DIPLOMA OR STATE RECOGNIZED EQUIVALENT.
    VALID DRIVERíS LICENSE REQUIRED.
    RESIDENCY REQUIRED: WITHIN 40 MILE RADIUS OF FIRE DEPARTMENT HEADQUARTERS, WITHIN THE STATE OF KENTUCKY.

APPLICATIONS MAY BE OBTAINED FROM THE CITY OF COVINGTON PERSONNEL OFFICE, 638 MADISON AVENUE, ROOM 430, COVINGTON, KENTUCKY, BETWEEN THE HOURS OF 8:30 A.M. AND 4:30 P.M., MONDAY-FRIDAY.

COMPLETED APPLICATIONS MUST BE RECEIVED IN THE PERSONNEL OFFICE NO LATER THAN 4:30 P.M., FRIDAY, APRIL 5, 2002, IN ORDER TO GAIN ENTRY TO THE EXAMINATION SITE. E-MAILED APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.

APPLICATIONS DELIVERED TO THE PERSONNEL OFFICE AFTER 4:30 P.M., APRIL 5, 2002, WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.

EXAMINATION: SATURDAY, APRIL 20, 2002, 10:00 A.M.
    THE POINT PAVILION 620 SCOTT STREET COVINGTON, KENTUCKY 41011.

INDIVIDUALS NEEDING ADA OR OTHER ACCOMMODATION AT THE TEST SITE MUST SUBMIT SUFFICIENT DOCUMENTATION FOR VERIFYING ADA APPLICABILITY TO
    THE PERSONNEL OFFICE BY 4:30 P.M., FRIDAY, APRIL 5, 2002. THE CITY OF COVINGTON FULLY AND ACTIVELY SUPPORTS EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYMENT FOR QUALIFIED CANDIDATES REGARDLESS OF RACE, RELIGION, COLOR, SEX, AGE, NATIONAL ORIGIN OR DISABILITY.

The outlook is fairly good, all things considered. Keep on top of announcement though. Don't let one slip by your watchful eyes and best of luck to you.

MembersZone Subscriber

I know of one way to possibly make it a bit easier to get hired. Go to paramedic school. Here in Kansas, I get one or two "flyers" asking me to test for KCK Fire or Overland Park Fire(among others) every month. I used to live in L.A and after speaking with some county firefighters out there, came to discover that many of them attended paramedic school just to increase their chances of getting hired by LACFD. I didn't become a paramedic for this reason as being a medic was something I wanted to accomplish either way, but it sure seems that it opens many more doors for you as a FF. My only suggestion - if you have no ambition to be a medic, don't do it just to become a career firefighter. As someone's line reads here at the forums... "The truth doesn't hide for long"... Good Luck!
    Brian Rowe
    Paramedic/Engineer
    Colleton County Fire/Rescue

Forum Member

Arrow Hiring Announcements

There are several announcements for departments that are hiring on the Rescue-Net web site.

20 K and they want someone with a university degree?

Forum Member

The Outlook in New State is not very good ....alot of departments are coming to grips with the post 9/11 budgets and are reducing their staffing through layoffs and attrition. I hope that the Feds come up with some relief so that we are able to stabilize. Manpower is going to be a big issue in the next year or two around these parts.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default $20K starting?

Maybe it is because I live in a different part of the country, but is $20K starting enough to live on in KY? I'm currently applying to 3 departments along the front range in Colorado and they start at $34K, $35K, and $37K for FF/EMT's. I couldn't imagine living on $20K.

Forum Member

I don't work for a department. I simply posted the notice because I thought there might be some interest. That starting pay works out to about $27,700 to start and doesn't include the supplemental pay that is paid by the state (I'm not sure of the amount $2000 or so?). You can live on that in the Cincinnati area (I'm not saying you'll be rich). Also, I'm not sure how long it takes at Covington, but I'm fairly certain that the pay is $40K plus after a few years. If there is a Covington FF out there reading this, please post the factual info! Thanks......

Temporarily/No Longer Active
    Pittsville Volunteer Fire EMS Rescue Department, Inc. Pittsville MD "Pittsville Pride"

This came srtraight from the OOH (Occupational Outlook Handbook):
    Job Outlook:

Prospective firefighters are expected to face keen competition for available job openings. Many people are attracted to firefighting because it is challenging and provides the opportunity to perform an essential public service, a high school education is usually sufficient for entry, and a pension is guaranteed upon retirement after 20 years. Consequently, the number of qualified applicants in most areas exceeds the number of job openings, even though the written examination and physical requirements eliminate many applicants. This situation is expected to persist in coming years.
    Employment of firefighters is expected to increase more slowly than the average for all occupations through 2010 as fire departments continue to compete with other public safety providers for funding. Most job growth will occur as volunteer firefighting positions are converted to paid positions. In addition to job growth, openings are expected to result from the need to replace firefighters who retire, stop working for other reasons, or transfer to other occupations.

Layoffs of firefighters are uncommon. Fire protection is an essential service, and citizens are likely to exert considerable pressure on local officials to expand or at least preserve the level of fire protection. Even when budget cuts do occur, local fire departments usually cut expenses by postponing equipment purchases or not hiring new firefighters, rather than by laying off staff.

To get to the site and look at all professions of any kind click here: http://stats.bls.gov/oco/ocos158.htm

MembersZone Subscriber

Default wow

I agree, $20,000 or even 27,000 doesn't seem like much to make a living from! Around here salaries (starting) for FF/EMT and FF/EMT-P range from $35,000 to about $45,000 and even better in a few places.

Stay Safe,
    CS
    "The more we sweat in training, the less we bleed in battle."

Thread Information