Thread: Shorts

MembersZone Subscriber

Question Shorts

I am looking for shorts to wear under my turnout gear at night. They have to be NFPA compliant, so either Nomex, FFR or 100% cotton. I have seen many in a uniform style short. I was hoping to find something in a gym short style. More comfortable to sleep in. Anyone out there know where I can find them? Already tried an internet search but could only find uniform style shorts. Feel free to respond via e-mail or by posting back here. Thanks.......

How about a nice thick cotton boxer short...just be sure to sew up the ole' wanker peep hole....dont want your buddies grabbing the wrong hose....unless there are some nice lasses on your crew.... (calm down ladies just joking).....good luck in your search....

hmmm wandering if wanker is a forbidden word
    hmmm wandering if I spelled wandering and forbidden correctly

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks for the idea, but I need something NFPA compliant.

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking

So are you saying that your current Turnouts are incomplete?? It should not matter what you wear undernieth your NFPA approved Turnouts. they are complete assembles.

We wear cottom uniform shorts on those occasion that we can wear unform shorts on duty. (Bike patrol)
    Front line since 1983 and still going strong

If 100% cotton is acceptable. Just get a pair from a sporting goods store like Dick's or something. I have a few pairs of 100% cotton shorts made by Russell. Very comfortable and they have a draw string.

MembersZone Subscriber

No. Providence R.I. : Land of the "How ya doins"

I wear shorts at night, easier to get up and go. I have had a few fires and the heat build up under the bunkers is considerably less.
    If your regs say nomex, fr, or 100% cotton then stick to it. I wear
    poly mesh, just my preference and I haven't had any problems.

Originally posted by Chief Taylor
    So are you saying that your current Turnouts are incomplete?? It should not matter what you wear undernieth your NFPA approved Turnouts. they are complete assembles.
    We are issued Russell Athletic 50/50 Cotton/Polyester shorts and sweats, for PT and Pjs. So our dept has issued 1000 + employees non-compliat items for 14 years?
    "VERY PROUD" Union member of the I.A.F.F. as well as my local 1664.
    Notice this is my CAREER not my hobby. Help a burned child. Get involed...not sure how just ask. Marshall
    www.fdnyengine6.org
    www.midatlanticburncamp.org

MembersZone Subscriber

Yes, our turnout gear is 100% compliant. My department also has an SOP that the uniform under our turnout gear also be NFPA compliant. So, that means that going to the store and just purchasing a pair of 100 % cotton shorts does not meet the standard. The do not contain a tag that they are certified to be NFPA compliant. Yes, in my prior department I just wore a regular pair of 50/50 shorts- we had no requirements there. Unfortunately these have to be compliant. So, anyone out there have any more ideas. Don't suggest changing the policy because that is not going to happen either.

Forum Member

Have you attempted contact with a uniform dealer? Maybe a suggestion to a Nomex or FR gear maker would provide you some avenues to getting some made or where to find them.

*Mark
    FTM-PTB-RFB-EGH

MembersZone Subscriber

Lightbulb

When I am back on shift, I will look at some of our shorts, I think they are flame resistent. Also if my memory serves me correct. The "UNIFORM CENTER" in Orange, California has those NFPA shorts for sale. All I remember is that they were off of Katella Avenue. Sorry I do not have fruther details for ya.

Front line since 1983 and still going strong

Forum Member

Check this place out:

Anvil Knitwear, INC.
    200 S. Cypress St
    Mullins, SC 29574

or www.anvliknitwear.com

This is the complany that makes the shorts we use. They are 100% cotton, a little heavier construction than gym shorts but just as comfortable and, like all our uniforms, NFPA compliant. We have our dept name and insignia embrodered on them. Check them out.

Anvil Knitware in Mullins is an excellent source!

Just my pennies worth

We are not allowed to wear short underneath our bunkers. I've always been told that it makes it alot easier to get steam burns. But I think that my legs would be the least of my worries if we were subjected to a steam situation. HHmmmm...I don't know.
    ScottsFire
    "Getting my brothers and sisters to the fire safely"
    WTC Box 8087 5-5-5-5 We Won't Forget!

Cool Pajamas

In Washington, D.C., our fire chief has purchased shorts and T-shirts for all members. We lovingly refer to them as pj's. They are all cotton shorts, (no wanker pee-hole), with a draw string, and the T-shirt is also 100% cotton.

Dont worry about new apparatus chief, we look great at night in our fancy new p.j.'s

Sid

MembersZone Subscriber

What is the big deal with NFPA compliant shorts?

Did your department adopt the NFPA standards? If they did, I'm sorry.

Let's look at this from a practical standpoint. You are wearing shorts under your gear! That means that fabric is covering about 8 or so inches of your leg and the rest is uncovered. If your gear fails your entire leg is going to burn. Wear slacks or don't worry about it. Cotton is just fine. If your department hasn't formally adopted NFPA then explain your argument with the department.

On a similar subject, do you follow all of the NFPA clothing regs? What brand of pants do you have, we tried FR pants from Lion and they didn't hold up at all. We switched back to cotton slacks about 6 mo after first getting the fr ones.

Chief Taylor you said

"So are you saying that your current Turnouts are incomplete?? It should not matter what you wear undernieth your NFPA approved Turnouts. they are complete assembles."

You would think that a complete set of turn-out gear would protect you, the truth is it can't from everything. The NFPA standard for uniform wear is in place so that in the case (albeit small) that the temperature inside the turn-out gear exceeds a certain temperature for a specified period of time, that what you are wearing next to your skin doesn't melt to you. That is why we are issued 100% wool uniform pant and nomex coveralls.

Rescue 21, all I can say is unless you are wearing NFPA compliant uniform shirt or T-shirt as well as socks and underwear (which I don't know if there are such animals), what difference does it make what your shorts are made of? Personally, I would ensure that the composition of the shorts was equal in cotton to my underwear at the very least. My theory is that if you are questioned on it by the higher ups, just tell them that it is your underwear.
    These are my views and opinions and do not reflect any of my affiliations.

Forum Member

If its 100% cotton then its NFPA compliant. To get a pair of shorts with the compliant tag sewn on it would be probably cost prohibitive wouldn't you think? If its flame resistant does that not wash out after so many washes? Even nomex loses its resistant quality after being washed many times. Personaly I prefer to wear cotton joggers or lightweight cotton pj's under my bunker pants, it gives me a better sense of security.

Forum Member

Wink

I due belive that Rescue 21 and I share the same Employer. We have adopted NFPA for our clothing requirements. We currently use Topps or Lion NOMEX station uinform pants. We must have complete NFPA certified station uniform on when ever we have our turn-out gear on. We can wear cotton T-shirts or Sweatshirts but must put on an NFPA compliant "over shirt". These "over shirts" are both short and long sleeve. These shirts must cover our T-shirts or we can take off our Sweatshirts and put on an NFPA "over shirt". I personally just wear the "over shirt" unless we are doing work around the station. I don't like too many layers under my gear.

Is there such an animal as NOMEX or NFPA cotton underwear?
    Last edited by Fyrtrks; 02-09-2002 at 12:40 AM.
    Fyrtrks

Thread Information