Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Lightbulb How to get the cheif to let you pick your gear.

All the explorers have to match. We got Fire-Dex. I would perfer a different 'better' brand. All the firefighters have this brand, What can I do to persued the cheif?

Forum Member

If that is what the FD buys for its members that is what you are going to get. Our explorers get handme downs. What makes
    Fire-Dex any less than say Globe, Lion, or Bristol? They all have to meet NFPA standards. I guess its like the leather helmet thing. But the leather helmet is not a true leather thing. Its sandwiched around a composite center.

You should feel lucky that you are getting gear.
    We are in the process of terminating our explorer (jr. ff) program due to the state laws governing what they are allowed to do, which is basically the rehab area or clean the trucks and station. With that how can we keep thier interest up. No, I'm not saying that ours are fighting the fires but as we all know there is plenty of jobs to do on the fire ground.
    My suggestion to you is to take the gear or go buy your own as I did when I turned 18, becuase I wanted "the best gear", needless to say that gear has been replaced at least four times in the past 13 years (we average 50-60 incidents a year).

Good luck,
    Asst.Chief Grant
    Bill Grant
    Asst. Chief
    HVFD

I'm actually quite happy with my hand-me-down gear, Its about 7-8 years old, but I don't need the newest and greatest since I'm not running into a worker, and with the 200ish calls we get a year, its fine with me.

I do not think you should try to get the better gear from your chief, be happy that you have what you have. The "better" gear should go to the fire fighters, they are the ones that do the more work and need it, wait your turn, you will eventually get the gear you want.
    <a href="http://www.lakecarmelfd.org" target="_blank">www.lakecarmel fd.org</a> links- explorers

yeah, we got to use our old firefighters' gear, some of which is almost 10 years old. its horrible, cause the other day, my helmet broke on me while i was in a pipe doing confined space rescue training. god, that was so embarrassing.
    JC Makusztak
    Explorer Lieutenant/Firefighter Trainee
    San Bernardino County Fire Dept.
    Station 20, Lytle Creek

If you dont like your gear, buy your own. That's what a lot of explorers on my post do. Luckilly we dont have to have matching gear, as long as it works. Some of the us have bought our own leather helmets.
    9-11-01 FDNY - Never Forget

All women are created equal, a few become firefighters.

Leather Forever!

MembersZone Subscriber DFCFFEMT14's Avatar

I have just been a reader, but I had to respond to this one. As a jrff your job is to learn, not get what you want. You are the absolute bottom of the food chain. You should be glad you get gear. All the depts near where I live are either vol or paid on call so I'm used to dealing with places that have limited money supply. Of the depts that even have jr squads in my area, some have gear, others don't. I was a jr for one year before turning 17 last March when I was eligable to become a FF. After the fact state laws changed which didn't allow me to do much though. We didn't even get the oldest of used gear that noone was using, we had jumpsuits (which none of us wore) and hard hats.
    All I have to say is deal with it. Fire-Dex may not be what you prefer, but deal with it and be glad you've got it cause you could be running around in a dumb blue jumpsuit And like others have said if you hate it that much, buy your own, and if you have the money to spend on your own gear as a jrff, things can't be that bad.
    Stay Safe

Ryan Dennett
    FF/EMT-I

"Some ask why. I answer: I know where I am going when I die, and so I do not fear it. Some people need more time to figure it out. I am that extension. My life for yours."
    Marc 'SkipJack270'

Forum Member

Ryan I think you are on the right track. But I wish I had $1000 or more to buy personal gear, but not the $400 for a fake leather helmet. The Paul Conway Leather, that everyone seems to talk about, is not an all leather helmet. It has a composite center.

FFF

Default How to get the cheif to let you pick your gear.

Would you not be a little embarrassed to show up wearing better gear than the guys who actually have to fight the fire? If it's good enough for them, it's good enough for you. In time you may have what you want, but I SERIOUSLY doubt your department will buy you different gear.

Just like the others said you should just be glad of what you have. So to me I wouldn't worry about it until you get older to where they will buy you gear. Just like me I just wait till I get everything and I am glad that I have it. So you should not worry about it until you get older.
    Adam K.
    Senior Junior Firefighter
    "When you hear the sirens, and see the Fire Truck, you just better get out of the way"

Temporarily/No Longer Active Station7Cadet's Avatar
    Pittsville Volunteer Fire EMS Rescue Department, Inc. Pittsville MD "Pittsville Pride"

Default Re: How to get the cheif to let you pick your gear?

I don't know what you can tell the cheif but if you want something so bad then the only thing that I can suggest is that you but what you want, just be happy that you are even a firefighter! In my department most cadets get hand me downs from old bunker gear and other departments. I know that I love me gear and I don't want to give it up!
    Hope you can find a remedy for your problem!

Thread Information