Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Gaining weight problems/getting in shape tips

ok so here's my situation. i'm still in school getting all my prerequsites (emt, first aid, medic prep, ect..) done so i can get into the fire/paramedic academy next year. i've always wanted to be a firefighter but the only thing that's stopped me is my size. this year i finally said screw it and i'm going for it. i'm a male and only 5'7" 130lbs and can NOT gain a single pound if my life depended on it. i've been going to the gym regularly for over a year and just started running to get my cardio up to speed. of course, running means losing weight and that's not what i want...but i gotta get that in shape as well. but as far as the gaining muscle weight goes, why the hell is it so hard?!? I've read all the books (inc. firefighters workout book), tips on the net, ect...i drink those nasty as hell super high calorie shakes after workouts and eat just about untill i feel like i'm going to be sick sometimes. i've changed what i eat latley, so no mcdonalds and crap like that. i'm 21 and still weight the same weight that my drivers license said when i was 16 which is pretty pathetic since i'm trying so hard. i have a little time while in school to train, but if the past years are any indication of what my body will be like in the future, my career in the fire service is screwed...i mean, imagine a 130 lb person with 80 lbs of gear on trying to carry a 180 lb person...not gonna happen. i just wasn't blessed with genetics to let me have an average male body. i was thinking about making an appointment with a nutritionist to see what they think about this unsolvable problem, but i thought i'd post a message on here and see if anyone has this same problem, or has had and maybe can help. any info would be greatly appreciated to try and help me out through this. thanks!

Louie
    All gave some, some gave all.
    In memory of FDNY 9/11

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking

OK, I know this won't help much, but here goes...get married and have 3 kids - that's what did it for me! 145 to 175, just like that!

Seriously, don't let your size and weight discourage you from your dream. Very few of us are the height or weight we would like to be, or what we might think a "perfect firefighter" would be. I may be wrong, but I don't know that I have heard of departments that have a minimum height or weight standard. By all means, talk to a nutritionist as well - I'm sure they can help you out.

Good luck!

Well, I can't say I can feel for your situation! I am at the oposite end of the scale, 6'4" & 255 lbs. I can say that I went through academy with a girl that was about your build. During RIT drills one day a guy my size tried to bring me out, he quit. He harassed this gal and said that since he could'nt do it, there was no way she could. I was very impressed when she did. It took her awhile, but she did it, and she did'nt quit. Yes your smaller frame will have to carry more weight compared to mine, but your heart and desire also play a big part too. I can get away with carrying a few extra pounds, but you, you need to just be in tip top shape, keep lifting, eventually you will get bigger and stronger(it will not happen fast), stay with your cardio to increase stamina(this can even the odds in the size margin). My size allows me to swing the axe forcefully, your great shape and stamina will allow you to do everything I do, maybe with just a couple of extra swings! Don't sweat it, follow your dream!! And keep in mind, the big boys need you attic crawlers or we're screwed!!! Shed

Cool

Don't get discouraged.At your age,your metabolism is still in high gear.It sounds like your on the right track in your diet and exercise.Though cardio is very important,if your looking to gain weight and muscle mass,running burns alot of calories.Maybe slow down on the running and work more on the weights.Heavier weights with less reps.can build mass and strength.Example:Find the maximum weight you can lift for each excercise,lift 80-90% of your maximum weight and 3-6 reps,then work your sets up every week to about 5-6 sets.Squats are a great overall strenghth exercise.Many people lift less weight with more reps.to gain strenghth,tone,and not create mass.A dietitian is good advice.But I bet you still are burning more then you're intaking.So eat alot of the good foods recommended by a dietitian.

Your metabolism should slow down eventually and then you'll need a strict diet!Mine changed at about your age,I went from 150 to 180 within 2 years.So don't be discouraged.Also,the US average height of a firefighter is 5'10".So you're not too small.
    Good luck.

I agree with cross fire3 get married. That is what seems like what did me in.

Thanks everyone for the info, every little bit helps...getting married and having kids?!? lol That'd be a suprise to my g/f
    i'll keep on sticking to the high calorie meals and the lifting even though it's not doing much. But if I do one day reach my goal everything I do will be worth it.
    In memory of FDNY 9/11

Firestorm,

Just keep up what you are doing and, like 4iron said, get some ideas from a dietician for what type foods you should eat. Building muscle mass takes a while - don't focus too heavily on your weight, because when you first start into trying to 'beef up' your body is losing fat while gaining muscle, so your weight doesn't change very fast - keep diggin' and working out and you'll do fine. Heck, when you turn 40 I'm betting you'll be wishing you could eat all that stuff and not gain weight!!
    - Remember our brothers in FDNY -

fyreman,
    thanks for the info. i heard about that losing fat while gaining muscle thing, but then of course got my body fat measured. 3% yea, barley enough essential fat in there for energy. so i'm not sure i have much on me to lose.

another weird thing is the way i gain and lose weight. i weight myself on the same scale whenever i go to the gym and some days i'll be at 134, but then the next day back to 128, and back to 133 the next day. . 6lbs in one day?! we can talk about bathroom activities and eating all we want, but that's a lot of weight to be lost and gained in a day. ...so whatever the heck my body is doing, who knows....this metabolism needs to slow the hell down. and yea, i look foward to the day i turn 40 when i can go for a jog and not have to worry about losing weight.
    In memory of FDNY 9/11

Forget the high calorie shakes.

Protein and weights baby!

Try to take in at least one gram of COMPLETE protein per day per pound you want to weigh. For example, wanna be 160#, take in 160 grams of protein per day.

You can get this in high protein shakes, egg whites and other sources. Forget the veggie proteins like beans, not complete.

Divide it over five or six meals a day.

Drink a carb drink prior to a workout.

Supplement smartly.

Find the book "The Wild Physique" by Vince Gironda, read it put it to use. Remember most other books are written by guys that use 'roids. They tell you how to do everything they did to get where they are except take steroids.

Lift heavy but smart.

Do the basics, squats, bench presses, deadlifts, the big 3 if you will. You're legs will probably grow faster at first. Don't sweat it and keep going, the squats are a whole body exercise and it'll even out.

Forget the glamour lifts like curls, pull downs, leg lifts and such for now, you want size. They give definition.

Cut cardio down, but do enough to keep your stamina up. Actually the big 3 will give you a good cardio to as they'll force you to draw lots of oxygen - especially the squats.

Three days a week, Get plenty of sleep as that is when you grow.
    It's only my opinion. I do not speak for any group or organization I belong to or associate with or people I know - especially my employer. If you like it, we can share it, you don't have to give me credit. If you don't, we are allowed to disagree too (but be ready to be challenged, you may be on to something I'm not). That's what makes America great!

MembersZone Subscriber

Lightbulb

When you weigh yourself you should do it in the am after you wake up, and use the same scale all the time. Not the gym's scale.

MembersZone Subscriber

firestorm91132 I'm also currently in college to get all my standards in order. Also like you I am 5'10" and weigh right around 150 give or take a few lbs. Fortunately, I have been able to hook up w/ a small vollie department while at school, and have found no major problems in doing the required work. I sometimes have to put a little more of my weight into operations, but when you learn to use your body to do the work you can do it all. My advice is keep with the training and you'll suceed no matter what, and whatever you do don't get married!!

Thread Information