Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber GENAFIRE's Avatar

Default Keeping It Up!!!!!!!!

I HAVE WORKED PHYSICAL JOBS MY WHOLE LIFE...BEEN FIGHTING FIRES FOR PAST 7 YEARS,AM FEMALE 5'9"TALL ATHELETIC BUILD WEIGH SOMEWHERE BETWEEN 145-150 I THINK,AND AM QUITE CAPABLE OF DOING EVERYTHING I NEED TO AT MY JOB. IM PRETTY STRONG, AND IN ALMOST ALL OF OUR DUTIES,CAN WORK CIRCLES AROUND MY CREWMATES...
    WITH THIS IN MIND, CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHY IVE NEVER BEEN ABLE TO DO PULLUPS FOR ****! I DONT KNOW IF ITS BECAUSE MY CENTER OF GRAVITY IS LOWER(ALL MY WEIGHT IS IN MY ***..LOL)OR WHAT.
    I AM IN THE PROCESS OF SWITCHING DEPARTMENTS(RELOCATING) AND HAVE TO ATTEND THEIR MONTH LONG INTENSIVE TRAINING ACADEMY.
    I WAS READING MY ORIENTATION PACKET AND NOTICED UNDER THE PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS THAT I AM SUPPOSED TO BE ABLE TO DO X AMOUNT OF PULL-UPS.
    I CAN CLIMB ANYTHING I NEED TO AND GET MYSELF UP OR WHEREVER I NEED TO BE IN THE FIELD BECAUSE IN REAL LIFE I DO WHATEVER IT TAKES USING WHATEVER MUSCLES WORK BEST FOR ME TO DO IT...BUT THATS REAL LIFE..
    I DONT REMEMBER THE LAST TIME IVE DONE PULL-UPS OR EVEN KNOW HOW MANY I CAN DO..BUT I DONT THINK IVE EVER BEEN ABLE TO DO THE NUMBER SPECIFIED IN MY PACKET.
    SO WITH LESS THAN A MONTH TIL THE ACADEMY STARTS MY QUESTION IS THIS..
    CAN ANYBODY TELL ME HOW TO TEACH MYSELF AND PRACTICE OR GIVE ME SOME TIPS ON STRENGTHENING MY "PULL-UP MUSCLES"...ANY TRICKS OR ADVICE THAT MIGHT WORK FOR ME?
    ALL IDEAS ARE WELCOME...THANK YOU!
    ~ ~KEEPIN MY CHIN UP!
    GEN

Default help w/ gitting it up

GENAFIRE:

First dont feel bad, I read somewhere that like 75% or so of women cannot do even 1 pull-up. But try these exercises.

1) lat pull-downs: these mimic pull-up movements, but can be done with less than body weight.
    2) negitive pull-ups: from a pull-up bar, start with chin at bar level and SLOWLY(over 15-30 sec) lower yourself untill your arms are straight. Repeat.
    3) try pull-ups using a chair, swiss ball, elastic bands, or a partner, to pace your feet on and lessen the weight that you have to lift.

hope these help and good luck!

hEY POSH........
    You are the only reply Ive gotten so far,thanks I really appreciate it. Guess Im going to have to find a bar to use lol...
    Well, I just wanted to say thank you for the input!
    Bye,
    Gen
    Musta been some other blonde...

MembersZone Subscriber TailboardJockey's Avatar

Default Bear with me...

I know that this is going to sound stupid, but I think that the best way to train yourself to do pullups is to just do them.

There was a time when I would be lucky to do a couple at a time. Start with a goal of one first. Hang from the bar and try to pull yourself up. If you don't make it, take maybe a 30 second break and try again. I used this method to go from 2 to 20 pullups at a time, it just takes some patience.

Good luck.
    Living the dream...

I agree with Tailboard Jockey, it does help to just hang there. In the military thats the way it was done and some guys who were jelly doughnuts still couldn't do very many at the end. Gena, I am certain you will able to. Best of luck!

Default TAILBOARD AND BOX,

THANKS AGAIN FOR THE INPUT......AND ADVICE ~ALWAYS WILLING TO TRY NEW THINGS AND WAYS OF DOING THEM....
    ON A SIDE NOT...IF YOU LIKE THE POLITICALLY INCORRECT AND ADULT NATURED CARTOON CLIPS ON OSAMA OR WHATEVER...I FOUND A WEBSITE THAT HAS SOME REALLY FUNNY ONES INCLUDING ONE ON ANTHRAX..;.
    ITS WWW.MIKEOVERBECK.COM
    LOL...
    THANKS AGAIN,
    GEN

Forum Member

Lightbulb

GENAFIRE,
    You can try using a pull-up assist machine.
    This machine allows you to decrease your
    effort by adding more "push" under your legs.
    I.E.- If you are 150 lbs, and you put 50 lbs
    on the knee-lift, you will be pulling up 100 lbs
    while the machine pushes up with the other 50.
    When you are able to do pull-ups, you can
    increase your stamina by wearing a weightbelt
    and attaching 5-lb plates (or more).
    Good luck.
    "Now let's be careful out there."

Mary,
    thanks for the input, unfortuneately I dont have access to that kind of equipment...
    Gen

Thread Information