Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Post Indian Point emergency plans

If anyone knows where I can get soem info abou the roles each Fire Dept would play in the event of a melt down, please let me know. Also I would like to hear anyones comments about the proposed emergency plan (or where I can get a copy). Thanks.

Forum Member

The local city and county (any within 10 miles of Indian Point) should have a copy of the plan. If they don't, call the Indian Point Emergency Planning Dept. or your local NRC office for a copy.
    www.gvfd.org

MembersZone Subscriber

Very good question SGR. About 100 feet of the 10 mile evacuation area is in my response area. I've reviewed the the emergency plan in the past (not proposded plan but the plan in place now). However, it is unfortunate the the plan is about as good as the paper it's writen on. All 1000 sheets of it.

It is my opinion (and many others) that the plan will not work by any means. It's nothing more than that, a plan. Some thing for the government to see in writing.

While the plan is being revised, I wouldn't hold your breath to see a completed copy. There are many factors to take into accout. Not just on an emergency service level either.

The best place to find a copy of the current report would probably be the County Offices in White Plains.

MembersZone Subscriber

Have your chief contact the Westchester County Office of Emergency Management. I live within the 10 mile radius. There are no roles in a meltdown (which is highly unlikely, a release is more probable) other then assisting with traffic control. Outside of the 10 mile radius, fire departments are suppose to have personal radiation detectors and geiger counters to monitor and if necessary decon any persons, vehicles or other equipment as they arrive to your reception centers. I will not go into any other further details for obvious reasons. Again, you have to contact Westchester OEM, they can assist you with the plan and assist you with getting the appropriate equipment or replacing outdated equipment. Will the plan work, somewhat. Fact is there are no emergency evacuations plans that can account for every single person to be evacuated. Its unfortunate, but its true. However, thousands can be evacuated. Fact is we need energy. Half the people that cry it should be shut down live in upscale communities. Hundreds of area residents work at that plant. Are they gonna give them jobs. I doubt it. And for Rob Kennedy and Mark Green and the rest of the tree huggers who say we do not need that power source. I say yes, maybe not completely right now, but what about 5-10 years, when we have rolling blackouts. Or when you say costs will only go up a little and force conservation. With what? Some of the elderly and lower income families who will be forced to not use their electric heat because social security and whatever else does not make up for the difference. Are you going to staff the additional amublances and personnel we are going to need if rolling blackouts occur, when home medical equipment like oxygen machines won't run? Or the nursing homes can't power their equipment?
    I doubt it. You'll probably fly to Aspen or somewhere else and sip tea while we are stuck trying to deal with it. LEAVE INDIAN POINT ALONE!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Have your chief contact the Westchester County Office of Emergency Management. I live within the 10 mile radius. There are no roles in a meltdown (which is highly unlikely, a release is more probable) other then assisting with traffic control. Outside of the 10 mile radius, fire departments are suppose to have personal radiation detectors and geiger counters to monitor and if necessary decon any persons, vehicles or other equipment as they arrive to your reception centers. I will not go into any other further details for obvious reasons. Again, you have to contact Westchester OEM, they can assist you with the plan and assist you with getting the appropriate equipment or replacing outdated equipment. Will the plan work, somewhat. Fact is there are no emergency evacuations plans that can account for every single person to be evacuated. Its unfortunate, but its true. However, thousands can be evacuated. Fact is we need energy. Half the people that cry it should be shut down live in upscale communities. Hundreds of area residents work at that plant. Are they gonna give them jobs. I doubt it. And for Rob Kennedy and Mark Green and the rest of the tree huggers who say we do not need that power source. I say yes, maybe not completely right now, but what about 5-10 years, when we have rolling blackouts. Or when you say costs will only go up a little and force conservation. With what? Some of the elderly and lower income families who will be forced to not use their electric heat because social security and whatever else does not make up for the difference. Are you going to staff the additional amublances and personnel we are going to need if rolling blackouts occur, when home medical equipment like oxygen machines won't run? Or the nursing homes can't power their equipment?
    I doubt it. You'll probably fly to Aspen or somewhere else and sip tea while we are stuck trying to deal with it. LEAVE INDIAN POINT ALONE!!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    The above are my opinions only and do not reflect that of any dept/agency I work for, deal with, or am a member of.

Thread Information