Default Help us find a nickname

I am a teacher from a school in Michigan. For a variety of reasons we changing our nickname from the Redskins. As part of the committee to select a new name I have proposed the Firefighters. It is my belief that this profession represents dignity, honor & Courage. I believe it to be a strong symbol to build pride for our community and student body.

Obviously the selection process will be a thourough one. So I am looking for some assistance in putting together formal titles and nicknames associated with the firefighting profession. This will enable me to present varioius options to the final committee that all embody the spirit of the people.

So If you have any tiles, terms, slang or nicknames please post them or email them to me. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Forum Member

Arrow What is Your School's Name?

It would make things easier to know. For example (not the best example either), if you were from Hudson, the Hudson Hose Haulers sounds O.K.

Default Milford High School

Thanks for your help.

Want to name your team after firefighters. How about "THE SMOKEATERS" after the Trail Smokeaters, firefighters and World Hockey Champions. I think the year was 1961.

Forum Member

Lightbulb The Milford Roughnecks!

Getting a bright idea about this was harder than I thought it would be! I really like chuxter's idea of the Smoke Eaters.

A couple that I pondered over were: The Blazebeaters and The Volunteers (if Milford has a volunteer department). Around Cincinnati, firefighters are refered to as Roughnecks which I think has a nice ring to it. I'll keep scrathcin' my head and see if anything else jumps at me....
    Last edited by Box2565; 02-06-2002 at 10:33 AM.

Those are a great start, I like the roughnecks. I would need to be able to document the terms association to firefighting to appease the administration.

those are helpful, Keep them coming.

Forum Member

I can't say where it came from. As far back as anyone can remember, the non-promoted members of the CFD have always been called roughnecks. I do know that if you call anyone in the CFD, from chief down to firefighter, they'll know what a roughneck is. I'm one, and proud of it. Probably comes from the Marines "Leathernecks". Before the total encapsualting fire gear, the boys who rode the back step (non-promoted members rode on the back step of the apparatus) took the worst beating in a fire, and their necks and ears were exposed and usually the first to get steam burned. A firefighter on a busy company would have had a pretty rough looking neck. Hope that helps.
    See You At The Big One

Default Good Progress

Thanks for the explaination Fireman George, it is very helpful to my cause. The more information I am able to accumulate, the more likely a nickname and mascot representing the fire deptment will be selected.

Thus far our possibilities include:
    Milford Roughnecks
    Milford Flame Benders
    Milford Blaze Beaters
    Milford Smoke Eaters

Keep them coming.

How about

The Milford Bravest? Bravest is a term used by the entire fire service

The Milford Jakes - Jake being a term used by Boston firefighters.

The Milford Flames

There are plenty out there!

I'd have to place my vote for "Smoke Eaters" as well. You can justify that well to your admin because it's such an old, traditional term for firefighters. Used before breathing apparatus came into widespread use, hence they were said to "eat smoke".
    I can think of no more stirring symbol of man's humanity to man than a fire engine.

--Kurt Vonnegut

Default Jakes?

Why do the Boston Area Firefighters use the term Jake? What is the history behind it?

Forum Member

Cool Jakes

From the web site Firefighter Central

Jake
    A term used to refer to a good firefighter. One story has the term originating from the corruption of the phrase, "J-key." Years ago, the bed was the most expensive piece of furniture in a dwelling. Since firefighters weren't as good at stopping fire as they are today, they would attempt to remove as many belongings as possible. The bed was too large to carry out in one piece and had to be disassembled using a bed key. The key was shaped like the letter J and called a J-key.

MembersZone Subscriber

LOL...Its kinda hard thinking of a good fire service term that goes with MILFORD!!!!!! How about keeping the name Redskins
    and changing the name MILFORD!!!!
    LOL......
    Gen
    Musta been some other blonde...

Cool Nickname ideas

There have already been a lot of good ideas. The first to pop into my head was "Smoke Eater"! Some others are "Dragon Slayers", "Ash Kickers", "Flame Busters", "Hose Jockys", and "Hose Rollers". Some aren't that good, but maybe a few more ideas. Good luck!

Forum Member

Lightbulb Progress?

Hi!

Well the little creative light bulb burned out and I never thought of any other nicks for your school. were you able to make any progress with the names previously suggested?

Steve

Lightbulb

Howzabout the "Milford Steamers" referring to when fire apparatus was horse drawn and powered by steam boilers. Some slang terms I hear around my area are as follows: Wagon, Pump - for the engines
    Stick - for the Ladder
    Bucket - for the Tower
    Black coats - the regular firefighters
    Hope this helps!
    To those that have gone before us, you will not be forgotten!

Volunteers do it for free...

Talking

I think it's great that you're thinking of firefighters names for your school teams.
    "SMOKE EATERS" has always been my favorite!
    Good luck!

Smile

Why exactly are they changing the mascott? Unfortunatly I don't have any ideas and I like some of the ideas posted. I liked smoke eaters and flames but i also feel that admin won't like them or the kids will get teased by other schools. I am a graduate of Plymouth-Salem and who am I to say we were the ROCKS go figure. We are opening our third highschool in fall and they were going to be the Plymouth predators but parents thought it was too offensive so as far as I know they don't have a name yet. People need to get over this "it's to offensive" stuff. offensive to who? anyways please e-mail me and let me know what comes of this. I hope they will go with something 20th century and not a mascott that everyother school has. One thing that was good about being a ROCK is that we were unique, and thank goodness Queen came out with we are the champions because we blasted that song loud and clear. We will we will rock you was our fight song to justify our name.

ANGIE
    Pouteredsugar@yahoo.com

widbey island wa from cobb island maryland

Default my 2 cents

well in my old campany when i was first on the ems side of things. i called the firefighters "fire hawgs", to make fun of "fire dawgs", like they use to call themselves. then if it is a jv team you could call them the "probies"we also used the term "white hats" for our officers. our sister company had a ladder truck so they called themselvs "truckies". they also wore black gear so they referred to themselves as "MIB'S". engine personell were called either "engine men" or "nossle jocks". so maybe that will give you some more ideas. and i hope it helps.

me
    The words on my post are my thoughts, my thoughts have nothing to do with the department in which I volunteer, and other organizations I work

i do it all for the money, yup i make the big bucks!!!!
    cobb island VOLUNTEER fire department and ems CO 6
    whidbey island VOLUNTEER fire department and ems station 25

Thread Information