Default Anybody have a Conway Heritage?

I was thinking about buying a Conway Heritage helmet, the fiberglass one wrapped in leather. I was just wondering about the weight and ride of this helmet, as compared to a composite or fiberglass traditional helmet. Thanks in advance for your help.
    "Non Sibi, Sed Aliis"

"Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends." John 15:13
    GOD BLESS OUR FALLEN BROTHERS

Forum Member

Thumbs up

I have had mine for about 6 months now. It is, bar none, the best fitting helmet that I have ever known. It is a little heavy, but you do get used to it. And with the balance of the helmet, which is outstanding, you don't really notice it. I have owned both Cairns leathers, and this one tops them. It is well worth the money. Great fit, great balance, GREAT HELMET.

No, I don't sell 'em, I just like 'em.
    Craig Walker

Union Strong...Union Proud

An Irishman is the only person in the world who would walk over 12 naked women to get to a bottle of Stout.

Forum Member

I have had mine for a year and a half now. Still love to put it on. It weighs about the same as the others but doesn't feel like it when you are wearing it. The leather wrapped suspension makes it much more comfortable and I don't have it slide around my head when I'm sweating like crazy, which is a problem I always had with other helmets.

I did add a Milwaukee chin strap (Yes, I actually wear my chin strap) as well as ESS goggles. I found that no matter what helmet you buy, the stock goggles are garbage anyway.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

I have been wearing the american classic for about 4 months now and it simply the most comfortable helmet I have ever worn! Keep in mind I have not tried all the different helmets! It is a little heavier that other helmets I have worn/tried out, but it feels like a more durable, and safe helmet. Plus it is a very nice looking helmet!!! I would strongly suggest it, but you should really try them all and go with what works best for you!

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool

I have had mine going on 2 years now and I wouldn't trade it. My dept. issued is a Cairns 1010 and it is a great helmet too but my leather rides alot better, it is heavier than the 1010 but you really can't tell till you put the 1010 back on after a while wearing the leather. I also went with the ESS goggles.

I kind of wish I had got the Bourkes with mine except when I saw some of the other guys' hhelmets after a training burn. The Bourkes melted and curled but not like others I have seen, they bubbled.

The only other problem I have noticed is the leather shield that came with it is not of very good quality. One guy went in on a training burn and his shield peeled apart and the numbers curled and started to come off. They did not compare very well with other fronts that we have.
    Stay Safe & Bring 'em Home!
    Eddie C.
    I.A.F.F. Local 3008

"Doin' it for lives n' property"

** "The comments made here are this person's views and not that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

Thumbs up Conwway

I have had my Conway Leather for a year and few months. I have put it through the test. I got used to the weight almost immedetaly. If you have ever worn a Morning Pride BenI the first ones they made with the rubber liner around it, then you'll know the weight I am talking of. I did not notice to much of a difference. As far as feel, MAN WHAT A LINER!!!! It fits better than any ballcap I have EVER OWNED!!!! And yeah like the others have said the balance is great. My question is to those who own one of these fine helmets, I am wondering if any of you have bent the rear brim? I thought about doing it like you would a C&B with the pan of hot water and bend a little then back to the pan of hot water and bend a little. Any of you tried this with the Conway, or have any of you even thought about bending it? Let me know, feel free in e-mailing me at IRONMIKE951@yahoo.com
    My opinion does not reflect on that of my career department, Michael Prescott
    Capt./EMT-B

gary, i do not have a conway, yet. but from what i`ve read about them having the fiberglass core, i don`t think that it would bend easily.

also, who has the best prices on these helmets? fir-end has them for $330, is there anyplace cheaper?

Forum Member
    Why? It's not like you're going to visit me! But I'm near Waco, Texas

I agree with jeg. fire-end.com has the best prices. I do have the fiberglass traditional conway and I love it so far. It has to be the most comfortable helmet i've wore so far.
    NREMT-P\ Reserve Volunteer Firefighter\Reserve Police Officer
    IACOJ Attack

Experts built the Titanic, amateurs built the Ark.

i've had mine for a year and a half, bought it in baltimore at firehouse expo in 2000

i LOVE it... sooo comfortable, leather liner, perfect balance, great protection... yeah the weight is a bit more then a normal plastic lid... but u get used to it, mine fits sooo right...

well now I got a promotion and we tried to get our new chief to go traditional, 1010 probably (i was gonna either paint or get a new conway)... well just found out today that we are going to stay with the standard issue 660 POS... so i'll be retiring the conway for a while... hopefully our new chief said maybe after a little while we'll be able to buy whatever we want to wear... when that day comes... i'll have another conway on my head...

on another note we tried on the conway non-leather with the cheap liner in it, and it absolutely SUCKED... very very uncomfortable
    Shevais M. Shrum
    Western Wake Fire Rescue

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool

I have had my Conway for about a year now. It is by far the best helmet that I have ever worn. I bought mine from the Firestore, but they no longer carry them.

shevais, i was curious as to how much you paid for your conway at the expo. i was thinking of getting one but thought if i could get it at the expo cheaper, i`d wait to get it there

it was 330 from Newton's fire equipment, they're out of Swepsonville, NC
    Shevais M. Shrum
    Western Wake Fire Rescue

Thread Information