Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default EMT certification?

Im a vollie, but i want to get my EMT-B certification, hwo can i get it? through RESA, over the summer?
    thanks in advance

Logan,
    Check with your local hospital or your ambulance service. They should be able to steer you in the right direction. I personally took mine at a hospital but was sponsored by an ambulance service. Also you could look around a Community College too. Hope this helps.

code_blue81
    Jeremy Culver
    IACOJ Bureau of EMS

These views are my own and do not represent the views or opinions of anyambulance service that I am affiliated with.

Help our fellow firefighters.
    www.helpingourown.com
    "Firefighters Helping Firefighters"

Default Re: EMT certification?

Originally posted by logan
    Im a vollie, but i want to get my EMT-B certification
    So what are you saying? Volunteer Firefighters cannot become EMT's?!? That's news to me! Sorry...just giving you a hard time

Did you check to see if your department will pay for it?

Check with local hospitals, community colleges, and ambulance services. They should be able to inform you of an EMT class. I know all the community colleges in my area run EMT courses (but do it through ambulance services). Also, there are some hospitals around here that run classes also.

Talk with your fd and see what can be worked out. When I first got my EMT I had started with a vol dept in southern CA. I had to pay for the EMT class at the community college and after I ran a certain amount of EMS calls with my dept and made it through a probation period they reimbursed me for the class, books, everything. I just had to keep all the receipts.

If they cant(or wont)work with you contact your local hospital or community college and see who offers what.They can point you in the right direction.

Good luck.

Lady.
    "Let every nation know..that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, oppose any foe, to assure the survival and the success of liberty"---JFK, Jan.1961

I took my EMT-B course through a local community college. It worked out pretty well too.

Check at your local community colleges, see if your FD has any suggestions, and also check with your local ambulance service. Another good place to get information is from your state EMS office.

Good Luck!!
    Alisa Tappana, NREMT-B/CNA

All the views, comments, etc expressed herein are mine and not those of my training program or my employer.

"You can't make footprints in the sands of time if you're sitting on your butt. And who wants to make buttprints in the sands of time?"
    -Bob Mowad

Forum Member

test (sorry)
    -chris
    http://halfhonk.com

9/11/01: We will never forget

Forum Member

make sure you can try and work out for your dept to pay the fees, otherwise you'll be stuck paying the few hundred for tuition, books, etc.
    -chris
    http://halfhonk.com

9/11/01: We will never forget

I'm getting my certification through my college. You may have to take a prerequsite course, such as an advanced first aid class before you go on to the emt-1 class. Just call up the school around you and ask for the emergency medical education dept. (if they have one) people there will help you out and tell you what you have to do. or try what others are sugesting and contact your local fire dept. good luck!
    All gave some, some gave all.
    In memory of FDNY 9/11

Arrow

If you contact your local ems dept, they should be able to tell you when the next class is coming up for emt-D. I have been one for years I think it's great when firemen become Emt's like I did myself. In NYS. It's paid for by the state so your dept has 0 cost.. Also with the pilot program out now thru NYS,Emt's can resert thru the mail.. Soooooooo much easier.. Go for it never stop training everyday something new out there. Good luckkkk Firefighter/Emt... for 17yrs

Cool EMT Cert.

I am a VFF/EMT, I took my EMT-B course at a local Junior COllege and I am still enrolled and continuing my studies to eventually achieve Paramedic-2. Since you are a "vollie" then when you go to take your state test you dont have to pay, just claim volunteer status.
    STUDY HARD!!

Matt Barbee
    vff, EMT-B
    Chief of Medical Recheck summer 2001
    Philmont Scout Ranch B.S.A.
    "Breakin Hearts but Savin Lives"

My department pays for our EMT course. You have to remain an active member in good standing for a year afterward or pay the dept. back for the cost of the class, books and such. Most will pay up front or reimburse you if you pass, they usually wont if you fail.
    Good luck and study hard.

Thread Information