Forum Member

Default ALF Cab Door Problem

We run a 1999 ALF/General Safety pumper with the 134" cab. So far we've had two occurances of a gust of wind catching a door with enough force that the pivot-arm assembly for the door broke (once in a storm with 50 mph gusts which would test most doors, the other was on a fairly typical 'breezy' day, maybe 20 mph). The piano hinge wasn't damaged but it required a full day at the dealer to repair (covered under warranty). In talking to the dealer it appears that the way ALF constructs the door and frame won't allow the installation of a kevlar strap that we've seen on other chassis (Spartans especially). We have a couple of ideas, so far none that seem safe and workable. Anyone else had this happen and anyone with an ALF come up with a solution? Thanks!
    Last edited by TCFire; 02-08-2002 at 10:42 AM.

Talking

Give your dealer a call and ask him to order the straps and brackets that are used on the ALF Metro Cab. This cab is the step down version of the ALF eagle, but they do use the familiar "strap" set up that you are used to seeing. The brackets can be installed using exsisting hinge holes. It will work. Good luck!

ALF Metro Cab. This cab is the step down version of the ALF eagle, but they do use the familiar "strap" set up that you are used to seeing. The brackets can be installed using exsisting hinge holes.
    Great suggestion! I have noticed three other ALF's with the same problem. I will now write to the guys I know at those departments.

My department uses the ALF eagles and our 1998 is the only one that doesn't hve limiting straps on the doors. The Manufacturer has stated that this is available as an add on for that cab as well. Our 1998 cab has the same sprung door problem you spoke of and the new ones haven't had any of those problems yet.

My department uses the ALF eagles and our 1998 is the only one that doesn't hve limiting straps on the doors.
    Were they spec'd initially? Just curious!

Boxalarm the limiting straps on the doors were an added feature as I understand it in 1999 or 2000 due to the problem in the original post.

Thread Information