Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Should we put so much into the Olympics?

I have been listening to the news and hearing on what the cost of the olympic games are. $300,000,000.00 for secrutity, plus the cost of all the new buildings in and around Salt Lake. Also, not to mention the cost of training the athletes. Look at what businesses are paying for commercial time on television and what it cost to make those commericials. I realize that we as consummers pay for more on the cost of these products when we buy them. I wonder that perhaps we should put more effort into national secruity than producing these games. I know that we more than likely waste more money than this. I am just wondering what other people think?

Unhappy I agree.

The Olympics have become more about big business than the athletes. The games are not as "pure" as they were 20 years ago. We have done more than our share in recent years, why not let our neighbors to the north host the games for a few years? LOL. We need to concentrate on internal matters for a while.
    "Illigitimi Non Carborundum"

"The views expressed by me are solely my own, and in no way reflect the views of any organization which I belong to."

Default Olympics?......what a joke.

Just when you thought it was safe to go back.... in the water.
    As if we didn't have enough to concentrate upon already. Now we have to babysit the "athletes" of dozens of nations who come to our country for a paid vacation, courtesy of US tax dollars and Uncle Sam. Our troops that are already stretched out thin are out in SLC providing security for people that probably hate them, truth be told, but then, that's how it has been for the ages and that is how it will continue to unfold. I, for one, think that these games are a joke, (that much is obvious, right?) and that we shouldn't host them anymore, regardless of the "international brotherhood" theme they promote. I see more of that brotherhood reading posts from our brothers in Canada and other parts of the world. We have our biggest sports event of the year (THE game, need I say more?) overshadowed by the opening ceremony of the OLYMPICS? Give me a break. Now, if there were a lot of firefighters or cops or more than just the token military on the biathlon teams---you know, more REAL people instead of those that do nothing in the world except the sport they love day in and day out, it might be worth watching. But, come on, CURLING? SYNCHRONIZED SWIMMING? PING-freaking_PONG?! What is up with that?
    I've had enough and the more I write, the sillier this gets. So, to answer the ?, NO, I do not like the focus we put on the Olympic games.
    Oklahoma Bound!

Why? It's not like you're going to visit me! But I'm near Waco, Texas

if you break it down $300 million isn't that much compared to say the super bowl. i don't know the exact amount used to protect the superbowl but the olympics last what a couple of weeks while the superbowl is one day. i'm just glad dallas didn't get the 2012 olympics. that would be more of a headache.

ok, so i don't have a bunch of facts, so i'm stopping now.

now i said.
    NREMT-P\ Reserve Volunteer Firefighter\Reserve Police Officer
    IACOJ Attack

Experts built the Titanic, amateurs built the Ark.

Going back several years ago, Forbes Magazine had the breakdown of costs vs incentives in relation to the "Games". Oddly enough, each community does in fact benefit from the Games in their area;ex: Buildings are used where there once were none planned for--local economy gets a huge boost--the travel industry soars--and the projected tourism is worth the cost!
    The "Games" were scheduled long before Sept 11th, do we now cancel out, thus giving in to threats that have become our every day life? Our Athletes will face danger no matter where the Games are held, remember Germany and the Isrealis, so is the added security not better for all? Think of every piece of crap you buy and eat, or the frivilous places you take short trips to, is your money flowing away there too? Some of the events, I'll agree are not in the Historical make-up of the Olympics, but then again, competetion is where it is created, and how it is created, not necessarsarily a Historic device.
    I say let the "Games" proceed, and worry more about people like Enron, at least they give us a break from the more serious nature of our present lives.
    The above is not confrontational, and simply reflects my opinion, and the facts of Forbres Magazine. Have a nice day!

"All gave some...Some gave all!"
    9/11/2001
    Lest we forget!
    "All gave some...Some gave all!"
    9/11/01 Lest we forget!
    FDNYRR

Default The 2002 Winter Games at Salt Lake

I watched the opening ceremonies for the 2002 Winter Games at Salt Lake. I could feel my eyes well up with tears as the Flag that flew over the World Trade Center was brought into the stadium by members of the FDNY, NYPD and PAPD.

What was particularly touching was the 1980 "Miracle on Ice" hockey team together to light the cauldron. All of them standing there together, wearing their jerseys with the letters USA for the whole world to see reminded me of these words from our national anthem..Gave proof through the night that our Flag was still there...

The eyes of the world were upon our great nation, once again proving that we can overcome tragedy and adversity.

FDNYRR...well stated!
    Last edited by CaptainGonzo; 02-09-2002 at 10:42 AM.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Amen, Cap....

Huff
    The game...You mean THE game of football we play, but which really isnt? They play superbowlesque games all over the world, but they usually use a rounder ball with black and white pentagons on it... I find it difficult to beleive you are comparing the Super Bowl to the Olympics...The Super Bowl is a spectacle, yes, and the Olympics have become terribly comercialized, yes. But while we enjoy watching the world on display, isn't a remarkable thing that so many people, athletes or not, from so many backgrounds come together and have a grand old time? Isn't that what America is about? Isn't that what the world is about?

Latigo
    We've done enough? You speak as though it is some kind of obligation of the US to host the Olympics all the time...The SLC committee has done a remarkable job pulling the city together. Remember the big scandal in which we almost lost the games? The IOC doesn't come to us; we come to them, and so do hundreds of other cities around the world who want to host the summer and winter games. It's not an obligation, it's a privlage. Not as anything other than an American am I honored that our great nation is playing host to one of the greatest events in the world. Yes, even bigger than the Super Bowl. Sometimes it isnt all about sports, you know.

Yes, were spending 300 million on security; a little more than we ought to. But we're getting more out of this than 'babysitting' people. One of the biggest reasons to bid to host the Olympics is the economic benefits. Think of the local people in the SLC area, and of the University of Utah who is no doubt being well compensated for use of it's facilities. I read yesterday that shops and parking prices in downtown are up something like 300% for the games. They're probably gauging, but they're making a profit. Isn't that, point us? (even if it is a little cut throat) All these people coming to SLC spend money on events, souvineers, lodging, etc. Think of the jobs it's created. It's a two way street. Sure it costs tons of money to do it, but it also brings in money. Maybe not as much this time cause of the global climate, but it still works as supply and demand nonetheless. Don't blame the world for the Olympics. If ya don't want them, write to your representative and tell them you don't.

While we were watching hometown girl Lee Ann Parsley (Granville is just east on I-70) carry the flag from GZ, we remembered. And while I watched Mike Eruzioni and the Miracle Team, I cried....

Amen, Cap...

I agree that we have spent a lot of money, but is there a choice once you request to have the games played in your country? The olympics do not have the same glitter for me as they once did, what with pro athletes suiting up in my favorite sport, but it is still an honor and it does breathe economic vitality into an area...for awhile. At least thats what the public relations people say. We can trusts them, right????

Forum Member

Can you say TRAINING?!?!? Do you relize how much WMD, MCI and other types of training we, as public safety, have been offered in the last 5 years since it was announced that SLC would be hosting the 2002 Games? Without these Olympics we would have never been fortunate enough to have received this training. This is the most expensive Olympics EVER! Do you know that the cheapest ticket to the Opening Ceremonies was not less then $320? That price was low compared to what it was predicted earlier. Thanks to the Eccles family foundation (Who also donated money toward the Rice Stadium that was used for the Opening Ceremony, the staduim is called the Rice-Eccle Olmpic Staduim?) I am not a crowd person and am not directly participating in the Public Safety aspect of the Games, but I am filling in for those who are so that they may have a chance to go. This is experiance like no other.

Captain Gonzo and FDNYRR, thank you....
    FTM-PTB-RFB-EGH

Lightbulb I still agree

from www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/1999/olympic.probe/
    Salt Lake City may forever be remembered as the city that helped tarnish the golden halos of the Olympic Rings.
    In late 1998, the unthinkable emerged, suddenly casting a pall over the world's beloved Games: allegations that International Olympic Committee members were bribed for their votes favoring Salt Lake City as the site of the 2002 Winter Olympics.

February 9, 1999

(CNN) -- Salt Lake City's Olympic bid committee has been under investigation since late last year over allegations that members supplied International Olympic Committee members with scholarships, cash, medical care and lavish gifts in return for votes giving the city the 2002 Winter Olympics.

Yes, this is one large reason I think we have done enough. Another is, as the boxalarm stated, pro atheletes now competing. Wasn't that the whole point of the Olympics? I remember when people sacrificed their pro careers-put them on hold, so that they could compete. Where did that go? The answer is big corportations and big sponsorship money. Also, is it fair that the US host the games so often? Is that fair to the people of the rest of the world, who did not give bribes? The games have also been changed from every 4 years to every other year. Why was that done? Big money. At one time I saw this a an honor to host the games, but they are tarnished in my opinion.

As for Mark, "Can you say TRAINING?!?!?" Yes, I can. Granted, you have a high-profile target with the Olympics in your backyard. I am glad you got the needed training to deal with it. That being said, is all of the training money local? Are the people of the SLC area reimbursing the federal government for the troops on scene providing security? If the promoters wanted it so badly they gave bribes, why not? "This is the most expensive Olympics EVER!" Are you including the bribes here? Are you proud of this fact? Is it only SLC area money being spent to make this the most expensive Olympics ever? Why do you even bring this up, as the bribes, and expense are two of the major reasons some of us are against the games right now.

Gonzo, I did not watch the opening ceremonies. I have been avoiding the games altogether. I am sure I would have had tears in my eyes to see the flag from the WTC. And I do remember watching the 1980 hockey team win, it was a very proud moment to me. The games were still pure, and I was young and idealistic. But putting the flag out there does not change the facts of the games using pros and the IOC accepting bribes from SLC area people. That is the biggest problem I have here.

Truro: "One of the biggest reasons to bid to host the Olympics is the economic benefits. Think of the local people in the SLC area, and of the University of Utah who is no doubt being well compensated for use of it's facilities." Why is that an issue to anyone not in that area? Yes, there are economic benefits to the area, enough so that some people resorted to bribes to get them. Do the people of the SLC area propose to pay bribes so that the Olympics will be in my backyard next time around so I can reap the "economic benefits" How about your backyard? Would you want them to, with the dirty feel the Olympics now have? I wouldn't. There are some individual sports which I enjoyed watching on the Olympics. I still support our AMATUER athletes. I am proud a fellow FF will represent us. I don't have a problem with most of the athletes. But with the scandals, and pros, I am soured by the games. Just my opinion.
    Last edited by latigo; 02-10-2002 at 09:17 PM.
    "Illigitimi Non Carborundum"

"The views expressed by me are solely my own, and in no way reflect the views of any organization which I belong to."

I listened to the news Sunday and after 1 day of competion there was already questions about some judges not being fair in their scoring and controversity about some drugs being used. Complaints were made about the giving away of free samples of power bars, power aid and other things. It has become a venue for companies all over the world to hawk their products. I was proud that in 1980 a group of amatours beat the professional Russian Hockey team. That shows you what the love of the game and love of country can do. I grant that the cost of training has went up. But, yet many athletes in the past strived to acheive their best with what little they had. I felt that we could really brag about what we achieved then. Now we have professionals that are competing and are being paid to train. I pointed out that as consumers we pay higher prices for the goods that we buy so that these companies can make more money and have more prestige. I wonder if Enron put some money into sponsership of the Olympics. If, so, how many of their employees lost their retirement because of this. Every day we hear of companies that are filing bankruptcy. I wonder if they contributed to the olympics in some way. I beleive that much of the money spent on the games and pro sports in America could be put to better use in the protection and security of our citizens.
    I do not know how much was spent on the opening ceremony, but I think the WTC flag alone by it self would have set the theme of what the olympics should be about. A reminder of the day that peace was shattered around the world and that we should all come togeather as people, nations and athletes in the pursuit of harmony, togeatherness and love of fellow man. Not a big money making event.
    These are just my thoughts. Larry

Forum Member

Latigo, you seem to be hung up on bribes. How about the Firefighter Combat Challenge? Some of the participants are "Pro's" and some are ametuers or Volly's. The career guys get paid to train, the Volly's don't. Do you not think we pay higher prices on products that endorse the Combat Challenge because of it? The public by large is in favor of the Olympics. I brought up the point of this being the most expensive Olympics ever not because or including the bribes, but to actually confirm that these Games are the most expensive. If you do not like them do not watch them and do not purchase Olympic clothing or other merchandise. Just because you are no longer "young and idealistic" doesn't mean the whole world is corrupt. You act as if you are offended that you were not picked to provide protection to the venues. 'Nuff said
    FTM-PTB-RFB-EGH

The games were still pure, and I was young and idealistic.

Ah yes, the days back when sport was elitist, oh, I mean pure...

Back when rules could keep riff raff like Jim Thorpe from competeting, or at least if he did and won and you found out he actually played baseball for money you could take back his track and field medals.

Back when sports where pure. So, maybe many of those Soviet athletes had military positions that didn't require uniforms or saluting very often. There job was, afterall, the military...they just trained on their own time...and if their job didn't need them to be present very often, well that much more time to train...

Back when sports where pure. Back when Men where Men, and East German Women where only one hormone injection away...

Back in those days when the Olympics were about sports and not politics. You know, back in the Days when Hitler showed off Aryan superiority to the world but somehow Jesse Owens walked away with four gold medals. When single fists where raised in Mexico City in protest. When hockey teams transcended sports in the metaphors of the cold war, and the Moscow olympics that summer would be boycotted -- lest we forget in protest over Soviet actions in Afghanistan.

At least the games were always safe, well, at least until thirty years ago at Munich.

Yeah, back when the Olympics was a pure as the wind driven snow...

Why? It's not like you're going to visit me! But I'm near Waco, Texas

Ok, who do I need to contact to get the Firefighter Combat Challenge added to the Olympics?

If bridge and ping-pong is an event then so should this.
    NREMT-P\ Reserve Volunteer Firefighter\Reserve Police Officer
    IACOJ Attack

Experts built the Titanic, amateurs built the Ark.

larry cook

Should we put so much into the Olympics?

NO!

It is not Constitutional for the feds to cover olympic costs.

Communities/states that wish to host the olympics should also absorb the entire cost, especially for facilities.

Air security around should be handled by the Utah ANG.

Ground security should be handled by Utah and financed by the attending.

Training should be wholly financed privately through donations.

The economic benefits of the olympics are primarily to the community/state that hosts them, they should bear the cost.

mark440

Do you not think we pay higher prices on products that endorse the Combat Challenge because of it?

What costs have gone up, that cannot be attributed to imporved technology, since the inception of the challenge?
    It's only my opinion. I do not speak for any group or organization I belong to or associate with or people I know - especially my employer. If you like it, we can share it, you don't have to give me credit. If you don't, we are allowed to disagree too (but be ready to be challenged, you may be on to something I'm not). That's what makes America great!

Thumbs up I knew there was a reason...

Oh yes, the "international" aspect of the "events"....Have'nt we had enough of other countries coming into ours for the games and slamming our athletes (of this continent) I.E. the canadian skating medal scandal? Just one small example of how everybody comes together and works for the common good. Gee, that sounds like it operates in the same fashion that the UN does? Hogwash.
    IF we are smart, we would get out of this Olympic fiasco as well as the UN. But, we aren't, and as a result, the day will come when the world outside of out great nation shall subjugate us. Yes, I exaggerate, but to good effect: This is one of our wake up calls, people, we need to make sure that we as a nation stay on top.
    America first, foremost, and finest. Love it or leave it. Period.
    Oklahoma Bound!

Thread Information