Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Question What FF think of explorer posts

Just wondering what firefighters in other departments think of explorers?

Forum Member

Explorers are what the FD makes of it. They exist because the FD wants then there. It is also a great recruiting.

actually, some of our ff's hate the explorers. especially our medic. well, my exp. engineer kinda made a jackass outta him, so he dont like us very much anymore. and the screwup EMT we got used to be a explorer, matter of fact, he was the lieutenant before me. but he hates us, too. i got no idea why.
    JC Makusztak
    Explorer Lieutenant/Firefighter Trainee
    San Bernardino County Fire Dept.
    Station 20, Lytle Creek

In my dept and others in the area the posts themselves are seen as a great idea and a good way to have FFs ready to hit the ground as soon as they get on the dept w/o a full training program. Having been a member and president of my depts post before getting on the dept i see it more as a case by case basis in regards to explorers. there are the ones who are accepted by the members and seen good prospective FFs and others who are seen as numb nut SOB's that shouldnt be explorers let alone the dept.
    Member IACOJ & IACOJ EMS Bureau
    New England FOOL
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    As always these are strictly my own opinions and views

MembersZone Subscriber

Having been a member of the explorers before i joined helped alot in regards to how things were done .It was also great training because it gave you hands on training on how things are done on the fireground.

these are my opinions and views.

There are always going to be people that do not agree with the ideas of explorers on the department, or at least explorers on emergency incidents. You're always going to find that certain someone on the department that you dont get that warm fuzzy feeling from.

Most of the FF's on my department enjoy teaching the explorers the ropes and let them do many tasks at calls. The most important thing is that the chief really supports exploring. He has been nice enough to provide the explorers with protective equiptment and pagers, etc. with minimal fundraising from the post. Exploring is a great recruitment tool for the department, and the fire service in general. But I suppose it is what the individual person makes of it.

We are really just one big family. We have about 30 firefighters and 15 explorers (2 are active). They treat us just like normal people. They dont give us more work since we are an explorer not a firefighter. they respect us. The cheifs son is an explorer so he takes good care of us.

Well I work (NY) state wide and I've worked in other states including Pennsylvania, Ohio and Flordia and I see a lot of explorer posts and for as much as I see, departments enjoy having a prodege (sp?) looking up to them. It gives them that' bigger brother' sense. I'm a fire fighter/investigator and a new K9 handler and I always make sure to include explores in what I'm doing and help them understand what I'm doing. Infact, in my old explorer post, we're coordinating a massive, full scale city drill where the explorers are the main rescures and some of the senior explorers are going to be commanding. I'm really looking forwad to it. So I think Explorers are are important essential to the future of the 'business' and a positive influence to the present firefighters. Thats just my opinion.

Most of the FFs out there are going to enjoy having explorers around the station...this what I think most of ours feel like. However, there are always going to be people out there who do not like us. Some reasons are that if you act like you've done it all, or know it all your not going to get respect. Most people will be in a fire department their whole life and never experience everything. But, for the most part, i think our FFs enjoy having us around.
    "A greater love hath no man than this...."

MembersZone Subscriber Engine58's Avatar

Mainly everythings been said already... some firefighters in the town love us.. some think we are ok... others think we are useless and dont belong on the fire ground... but we proved them otherwise... sure they are still looking into how to shut us down but we keep coming back with a reason to keep the post open.. right away soon as the explorers reach 18 we are gonna have 8 new firefighters....
    Andrew
    Firefighter/EMT
    New Jersey

Temporarily/No Longer Active Station7Cadet's Avatar
    Pittsville Volunteer Fire EMS Rescue Department, Inc. Pittsville MD "Pittsville Pride"

Default Re:What FF think of explorer posts

I know where I come from the firemen don't really like us nor hate us, we are just there! The appreciate what we do for them, such as what help we do give at a drill, call, or a fire department function such as a dinner. I think that is the way the way that it should be! If you are hated and you have done nothing wrong then you should talk to that person! I have done that to a member of my department and now we are cool!

Our department thinks very highly of our explorer program. 2 of our chiefs are former explorers and our 3 capts were also in the program. We have proof that it works, the group is very active and the ff are always looking to help the post- they help them w/ there own drills, fundraisers and are always willing to chaprone trips. The explorers are the future of the fd. Our post works alot with the fire prevention team, and the fd always asked the explorers for help in all areas of the fire dept.
    <a href="http://www.lakecarmelfd.org" target="_blank">www.lakecarmel fd.org</a> links- explorers

Thread Information