Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Angry Children not buckled in.

This is my first post. Hey to everyone. I have a major gripe about parents that do not buckle their kids in child safety seats. When riding in our truck we can see down into cars and I always notice when kids are not buckled in. I don't know what these parents are thinking. Are they waiting to see if the law of averages will catch up to them so they can become a statistic. My department can write someone a ticket for parking in a fire lane, $100.00 per violation. I would rather write a ticket for children not properly buckled in. I can work around a car parked in a fire lane. I can't work with a child thats been thrown into a dash board at 60 MPH or worse ejected from a vehicle. How does you guys feel about this?

I sympathize with you, but to me, at least from a quick look, it would probably end up a mess. Let LE handle it.

Angry Children not buckled in>

I totally agree with you. Anybody or everybody should be charged with a ticket or major citation when they do not have there child buckeld in.
    I am a first time user to this site. Also new to the fire service. I will be asking everyone question and asking opinions, from firefighting to marriage. Yes I am geting married in June.

Default Child Seats

I know exactly how you feel about seeing children not properly restrained in a child safety seat. Something positive you could do would be to get a program started in your dept. that would help parents and caregivers learn the importance and the "how to" of child safety seats. Talk to your cheif about getting some or all of the members of your dept. certified in your state as child safety seat installers and then notify the public that they can go to any fire station in your city and get their child seat inspected and installed by a state certified child seat installer.
    Will Sanburg
    FireFighter
    Charlotte Fire Dept.
    Charlotte NC.

MembersZone Subscriber Firedog1's Avatar

Lightbulb Safety Seat Certification

There is a certification course given by one of the federal National Highway Safety administrations (Which one I can find out) Search on the web for the course.......It works well in Alabama. Birmingham's Childrens Hospital holds weekly seat checks at their locations and have about 60 cars per day coming through.....I think the ticketing and law enforcement should be left to them boys in blue with the guns.
    Lt C. Carpenter BS, NREMT-P

I get very angry when I see children running freely in a vehicle. Adults should think more about their childrens' safety when driving. I wish there were better consequences to make parents think twice before they let their children roam about freely.

Forum Member

FOOD FOR THOUGHT --DO YOU HAVE A SAFE KIDS ORGANIZATION IN YOUR AREA ? WE PARTNER WITH OUR LOCAL CHAPTER AND OFFER CHILD SAFETY SEAT CHECK POINTS. ALSO WE HAVE A PROGRAM SET-UP THAT ALLOWS US TO EXCHANGE SEATS THAT DO NOT MEET REQUIREMENTS FOR NEW ONES THROUGH SAFE KIDS. ALSO MEMBERS OF OUR DEPARTMENT ARE TRAINED IN THE INSTALLATION OF CHILD SAFETY SEATS AND OUR STATIONS ARE PLACES WHERE THE PUBLIC CAN STOP BY AND HAVE THEIR SEATS CHECKED TO MAKE SURE IT IS INSTALLED CORRECTLY. CHECK OUT LINK ON FIREHOUSE'S HOME PAGE TO SAFE KIDS HAS GOOD INFO. WE ALSO KEEP RECALL LIST AT STATION AND MAKE SURE SEATS HAVE NOT BEEN RECALLED. SAFE KIDS HAS A CERTIFICATION PROGRAM THAT TEACHS HOW TO INSTALL AND CHECK CHILD SAFETY SEATS. IT IS SCARY TO FIND OUT THAT MOST SEATS ARE IMPROPERLY INSTALLED. THIS IS PREVENTION..........

Angry seatbelts

I agree completely with your gripe concerning children not being in seatbelts. It is quite disturbing to see a child bouncing around in the back of the car. I wish parents would realize that putting out their arm will not prevent a child from going through a windshield, or striking the dashboard. As with anything though, we can just hope that education will continue to reinforce, and increase those who strap their children in.

Forum Member

I agree with all of the above. This has been one of my biggest pet peeves also. When I was working in law enforcement I think that I targeted these drivers more. They got friendly instruction and then a ticket to make the point stick. I am no longer a police officer... Sometimes I miss that kind of reach out and touch ya PR!
    Some people will never get it, but we gotta keep tryin!
    a.k.a. emmit233

Jump in and be lifted out! Stay safe!

Charter Member of Fraternal Order of Paramedics

Proud Member of I.A.C.O.J. EMS Bureau

I agree with all of you. I can't stand to see a child
    unbuckled. I to wish we could write tickets. This is a
    very serious matter that a lot of parents take to lightly.
    Child safety seats are another big area where a lot of parents
    don't do the best for thier kids. My department sponsors a child
    safety seat class and every station is a safety seat check point.
    we took a class in recruit school on how to install them properly
    and how to check them. There is a lot more to it than you would
    think.

Thanks,
    flint

Forum Member

Angry

I would have to agree with everyone on this. Those that do not buckle their kids up are asking for trouble. How many times we respond to MVA's where having a seat belt on would have decreased the injuries ten fold. I was one of three guys to become child safety seat technicians last summer. By the time we received our certifications though, it was almost December, and the checkpoint we sponsored went well, but it was a cold afternoon! I look forward to starting back up this spring with more checkpoint events. Hopefully it will do a little bit of good for the well-being of the community.

Thread Information