Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: CAF systems

Forum Member

Default CAF systems

I would like to hear from anyone out there using either the Waterous Ecplise or Darley Autocafs systems for compressed air foam. Which one is best? In speaking with a dealer for a prominent apparatus builder, he stated that Darley builds the best system. However, many major builders ie: Pierce, Seagrave, E-One either will not or are hesitant to put Darley pumps in their apparatus. What's the deal?

Hale does not offer a CAFS anymore. As for a testimony on the Waterous Eclipse CAFS, contact the Manlius Fire Department (suburb of Syracuse)to see what they think of theirs.

Forum Member

There are other options. We run a Hale/ pneumax/foam pro system 2500 gpm 200 CFM. I think the eclipse is a good unit but does have some limitations as to how custom you can make it. IF you need both PTO's the eclipse is nice because the unit is pump driven not pto. However if you want to get lots of air for other things the pto system is nice because you can keep the pump out of gear and just run the compressor ( We have a oil to air cooler on our compressor) . Just ideas. Figure out what you need it to do and then have them build it to your needs.

SBLG

Forum Member

Hi bookworm,

We are using a Hale pump with a Pneumax CAFS system. We purchased it in 1998. This was prior to the Eclipse being offered by Waterous. Knowing what I know now about CAFS and the different manufacturers of CAFS my Department would have went with an Eclipse.

The Eclipse consists of the Pneumax CAFS system, which also incorporates a FoamPro proportioner. It is assembled and tested as a completed CAFS unit prior to leaving the Waterous plant. This means the manufacturer of the apparatus can't install it wrong. Well, the chances are greatly reduced. Waterous also offers a complete training program at your location when the apparatus is delivered. The training includes a class on class "A" foam, on the operation and maintenance of the system, and on safety. This is offered as an option. I would highly recommend it, since most of my experiences with “problems” are operator error.

Hope this helps.

Good luck!

Capt. Lou

Thread Information