Thread: Palm Pilots

Default Palm Pilots

As someone who is running a new site and keeping track of other fire service activities, I wondered how impressed you were with the Palm Pilots as an organizational tool? Any comments appreciated.

RJE

I'd be lost w/o mine - I call it my brain

Then again, I haven't had turnouts on in 10 years, and I'm a professional developer that occasionally has to write something for one.

IACOJ Agitator

While I was single, my Palm was my "Black Book".

However, I rely on the thing constantly. I use it to jot down memos or directions, list of things I have to get done, addresses, and I use the calendar to keep track of appointments and my hours (I'm a consultant...don't follow normal hours).

Once I even used it to write down PT info at the scene of an MVA.

As far as keeping track of fire service activities, you can download a web browser called Avantgo and have it download daily (or more often) fire service news from multiple web sites, then you can read them while you are away from the computer.

I have been using a palmpilot for over 5 years and absolutly love it. If fact I am currently using the Kyocera PalmPhone (integrated phone and Palm). This eliminated carrying two seperate devices. My next step will be to get rid of my text pager by getting Short Message Service (SMS) working, this will allow me to send and recieve text messages. Not to mention the current ability of the device to send/recieve email and have internet access. As far as sofware goes I am seeing more and more being created for the Fire and EMS service which will only add further value to these device's.

I used a Palm for a few years and I'm about as techno as they come but I had problems with it. What I have found out is like other time management options, there is no one device or style that works best for everyone. You really have to try each to see which one works for you. What works for one won't automatically work for the next guy. If it fits with the way you manage yourself, it's an outstanding tool. If it requires you to change the way you do things and that's a challenge, it can be a pain in the rear.

Good luck in your research

Talking PDA's at work

Good evening,I have been using a Handspring Prisim for the past 2 years. I have loaded the EMS Management software (I use this on a daily basis) wildland software (ICS, FOG Manual)and I will be using it to do a PowerPoint presentation tomorrow for the police Dispatch Academy. So in an answer to your post, YES I would be lost without it and I am putting together a budget proposal to purchase one for all 9 of our Captains. I will be putting on a forum (not a class) at the next Fire Rescue West in San Diego. So I do have a lot of information on PDA's if you need more. Thanks

MembersZone Subscriber

Currently I am using a Palm Vx and love it. I have the ERG 2000, USAMRIID Biological Handbook, a BioChem program with suspicious packages and other response information (shareware), as well as a Coma Scale, Epocrates drug information, Oxygen Tank calculator, Heat and Wind Chill indexes, and a lot of other stuff on mine.

And of course I have my appointments, telephone numbers both personal and professional, all my "to dos", and GAMES!

Our company recently came into aquisition of 4 Compaq handhelds with 64mb of ram and I may get to try one of these out. I love the Palm but it is limited, and I want to see what the other will do.

Count me in for one that is lost without my PDA.

Ed
    I.A.C.O.J.-Member

"The only difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits".-Albert Einstien

"If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door"-Milton Berle

Forum Member

Default RE: Palm

Dept just purchased Handera 330 to be used in addition to vehicle
    laptop. Although it has a Black/white screen the visibility is excellent. We have loaded HanDbase and Data Exchange for Access to take advantage of our large Access databases for Emergency listings, guns, alarm reset codes, and preplan info. While it will never take the place of our vehicle laptop it has been great when walking around large buildings on smells and bells calls. We can call emergency contacts right from inside the building to get any info we need. Another super feature is the voice recorder. One button activation. great for recording little things for playback while doing reports. We obviously haven't scratched the surface of uses for PDA's but have found it to be a useful adjunct to the laptop.
    Would like to hear from others with experience regarding IMB microdrives.

MembersZone Subscriber

Smile Can't live without my PDA

I have a Visor Deluxe and can not remember life without it. Of course I have the normal address book with all members information along with our Town's department contact numbers and the calender to schedule drills and events. I have also created a few programs that I use all of the time. The 1st is a street and hydrant database which allows me to search for the street and know the directions to get there, a list of all the hydants found on the street, the name of any businesses and if a preplan is available, and any other special information about the street ( is it a dead end, no hydrants on street, construction happening and other items ). I also made a preplan program to gather information when going to calls. This allows me to start a file on the address and go back for a follow-up. Another program is a Hazmat database which is based on the DOT book. Instead of listing all of the data found in the book, I just show the ID number, chemical name, is it water reactive and does it have a isolation requirement.
    One of the problems with the PDA's is they are not waterproof and can be damaged in the rain. I have placed mine in a waterproof radio bag used for marine applications and it works OK. I wish some manufacturer would come up with a sealing system to keep out water. If anyone wishes to learn more about my created progams, please email me at lt708@attbi.com and I will send you a demo of them
    "Fire Prevention is our Intention"

EMS BRANDO I have the ERG 2000, USAMRIID Biological Handbook, a BioChem program with suspicious packages and other response information (shareware), as well as a Coma Scale, Epocrates drug information, Oxygen Tank calculator, Heat and Wind Chill indexes, and a lot of other stuff on mine.
    Whre did you find all of that amazing stuff?

MembersZone Subscriber

Theboxalarm:

I found the link for the ERG on one of these forums about a month ago. Someone put up a link, I clicked, and downloaded it. You have to have an "aportis" reader which is shareware and has to be paid for.

The USAMRIID Biological Handbook I got off their web site and it is free.

The Bio-chem with the suspisious packages and a section on radiation I bought from Arkansoft on their web site.

When you buy a shareware program, you usually get all updates free. Arkansoft e-mailed me and let me download an update on the Bio-Chem once the standards changed for suspicious packages after the anthrax letters.

go to www.eurocool.com and it will give you a lot of medical freeware and shareware. when you search their freeware sites you may have to sift through 1,200 or so programs, but it is worth it.

Also try www.epocrates.com for drug info, and www.rnpalm.com for some more.

I got the wind chill and heat index on Tealinfo, which is shareware.

Hope that helps;

Good hunting,

Ed Brando
    I.A.C.O.J.-Member

"The only difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits".-Albert Einstien

"If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door"-Milton Berle

Thread Information