Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: WTC Photo site

Default WTC Photo site

The following site has many photos from day 2 through present.
    http://www.nycomputerplace.com/webfolder/home.html
    For those of you who may make a nasty post about some poses taken by the web-host, save it. He earned the right to pose and remember his days there.

^

MembersZone Subscriber TailboardJockey's Avatar

Default Huh?

Just what is so outrageous about it?

Living the dream...

Mike is a GOOD MAN....Yes He earned the right. He was a member of Ladder 35 years ago and retired out of Ladder 61. He is always welcome to THE CAVE.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    ALL GAVE SOME BUT SOME GAVE ALL
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    CAPT. Frank Callahan Ladder 35 *
    LT. John Ginley Engine 40
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40
    FF. Jimmy Giberson Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Otten Ladder 35 *
    FF. Steve Mercado Engine 40 *
    FF. Kevin Bracken Engine 40 *
    FF. Vincent Morello Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Roberts Ladder 35 *
    FF. Michael Lynch Engine 40
    FF. Michael Dauria Engine 40

Charleston 9
    "If my job was easy a cop would be doing it."
    *******************CLICK HERE*****************

Default What are you gonna do?

Just what is so outrageous about it?
    That would be the comment by the Manhattan firefighter, not me. As for his reasons I did not ask him to elaborate. I know some knucklehead is going to come on and say "Me and the guys from Buttwipe county ran up there dude, and we took photographs, and we were lambasted on here".

I was just restating what the brother said. I guess its up to each individual to make that choice. However when these "clamdiggers" start posting, no griping huh? Cause they say they have earned the right and its their constitutional right to post, question, etc.

This will open the floodgates.

Mike, I am sorry I quoted you brother.

Now I recuse myslef from this thread.

All my best to the bravest. I will see some of you on the 22nd and 23rd. In Brooklyn anyway.

Temporarily/No Longer Active

Default Where'd it go....

Box....for the sake of clarity here on the boards....
    what the heck happened to your 1st post...remember...
    the one that stated something to the effect of the
    site being outrageous and the snide comment to the Loo that went something like "so I guess we should just take your word for it"? Right

Or was I dreaming?

If this fellow is a retired member of a company that lost members that day, then I certainly would not comment on his choice to post pictures from the site on the internet.

The events of the last months have been every bit as hard on the retired brothers as they have been on us. Many of them, that are able, spend hour upon hour at the site, doing whatever they can to help out. Those that can't make it there, spend their days at home, grieving and worrying for friends...living and dead. This is their job, and those were their brothers. If not for their sacrifices and contributions, we would not have the job we have today.

Yes, I have a personal opinion about a website of this nature, the timing of its establishment and about the nature of some of the photos. But, larger than that, I have a love and admiration for the retired members and a sympathy for the effects that these events have had on them.

If this brother was still in the job, in the firehouse and this topic came up... I would keep my mouth shut and defer to his time and experience. Right and wrong in our job is determined by the senior men. Especially in subjective cases such as this one, where the difference between right and wrong is not a clear-cut decision.

It is also my opinion that a comparison between this guy doing this and some buff outfit from somewhere else doing it, is completely offbase. If anyone is entitled to this, it would be this brother. A GUEST from somewhere else, especially an uninvited one, does not have the same entitlement... in my opinion. Its one thing to post pictures of your personal tragedies, and quite another to post pictures of someone elses.

Thanks

There were many retired FDNY brothers who returned to NYC to render assistance in what ever way they could. Some of them are still at the site looking for the remains of the fallen heroes...in many cases their sons. E229LT, Southbronx, E40FDNYL35 have respect for this brother, and I defer to them in this matter.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

what the heck happened to your 1st post...remember...

Yes I remember. I removed it because I was quoting a brother from Manhattan that I was on the phone with while we were perusing the boards. I was wrong and take it upon myself to admit it. I have my views on the subject which were not reflected in my first post. So, I was wrong and there is no need to keep a post up that quotes another.

I too have strong emotions about 9-11. Being from Brooklyn and having 2 family members on the job there is part of that. I also write and have had the opportunity to spend time with hundreds of the brothers. That being said, I was wrong to post what I heard, instead of what I feel. So, I make my apologies and move on.

Temporarily/No Longer Active

Thumbs up

Box....a tip o' the Leather To ya for being so stand up
    regarding that earlier post....doesn't happen to often here
    on the boards. Be Safe Brother.

Smile

Thanks for posting this sites address.
    A quote from Firefighter Timothy Stackpole, FDNY (borrowed from Bits & Pieces magazine)<br />"The greatest high you can get in life is by helping somebody."

Capt 1209, just a bit of trivia....not to be meant as obnoxious. Timmy Stackpole was promoted to the rank of Captain, just prior to the WTC. Fact is; it was his first "tour in rank"...Sept 11th, 2001.

On another note......I think as I posted a while back, we all grieve, and we all grieve differently, unless an outward sign of disrespect is posted, we should all do well to remember this.

Since this forum is famous for the quotes of so many, I thought long and hard as to, how to honor my friends and co-workers, some recovered, some perhaps never.

Here is my quote, and I certainly hope to offend no-one by it!
    "My Eulogy"
    "Be not ashamed to say you loved them,
    though you may or may not have always.
    If you are able to,
    save for them a place inside of you, and save one backward glance,
    for the places they can, no longer go.
    Take what they have left and taught you with their dying,
    and keep it within your own.
    When that time comes that men decide and feel safe to call this insanity,take one more moment to embrace these gentle heroes"

"All gave some...Some gave all!"
    Sept 11th, 2001
    Lest we forget!
    Last edited by FDNYRR; 02-11-2002 at 08:13 PM.
    "All gave some...Some gave all!"
    9/11/01 Lest we forget!
    FDNYRR

Forum Member

If I may add a comment.....

I actually found this site quite refreshing. Personally I skipped most of the pictures of the rubble, as we have seen them so many times. What intrigued me the most were the people. This site allowed me to personalize the tragedy far more than what I've seen in Newspapers and Magazines.

Most of all, thanks Mike for showing us that in spite of all they have faced over the last few months, FDNY can still smile. Call it gushy female sentiment, but you can't help thinking, if they can smile and laugh, maybe, just maybe they're going to make it after all.

Stay safe everyone

Thread Information