Question Credits Towards Joining?

I think when you are an explorer at a department, pass all the tests and have all the certifications needed, when you go for an interview at that department you the ex-explorer from that department should be looked at before any other people for the job. For the following reasons
    • You know the firefighters and they know you (for the most part) and if the know you theres a bond already there, and he/she (being your officer) knows you can do the job they give you/
    • You know and understand more about the department

I dont know what other departments do about this but I grew up in a farely busy department with career guys, and I feel I know the place better than most of the probies even though im only an explorer. I just want to know what other departments do about the situation of a child who grew up in the department wishes to join or if you were an explorer and wish to join your old post's department.

MembersZone Subscriber

Question Not sure

If you are talking joining a professional dept, then sure, if your civil service tests are competitive. Do I think you should be hired before someone with a much higher civil service test score? No. Just because you know that station does not necessariy mean you are more qualified as a FF than some probies. Just MHO.
    "Illigitimi Non Carborundum"

"The views expressed by me are solely my own, and in no way reflect the views of any organization which I belong to."

Well ya, of course your scores would have to be good, but its more than knowing the dept. you gotta know how the politics of it is, every department is different in politics and the way it works, VERY DIFFERENT from what i've seen especially in my area, and the way departments hire are all different, it seems to me if you worked as an explorer in that department and your test scores are good and consistant, you should be at the top of that department's list.

Forum Member

What if the other candidates have higher qualification then you? What if they already have fulltime firefighting experience? Just because you are/were/will be an explorer with a department doesn't always mean you are the best candidate (Even for that specific department) although it can be a great "notch" on your resume.
    Proud to be an American, Union Firefighter!

wow... you just arnt understanding, im saying if you qaulifications are good! did I say if you sucked at the job? jesus christ

please close the subject because no-1 is totally getting what im saying

Forum Member

I don't know how it may work in NH but you have to score high enough to be reachable on the civil service test in my area. This is a entry level job and very political. Belonging to the proper political party is important in some jurisdictions. They are going to send you to the state academy in most cases anyway.

Lightbulb

There are a lot of good points being made in this post. By what people are saying I'm looking at two different scenarios in this post.

The first one is this: You have been an explorer for a couple years and are now the legal age to join your fire department. However, a more qualified FF (based on test scores) is also applying. In this case I think that the person with more experience should be hired due to the fact that they will be able to do the job better. How well you know your fire department is not going to help you when you are fighting a fire. It won't be long before they develop the same bonds that you have.

The second scenario is: You have been an explorer at your department for 3 years. Now you are applying at the same time as someone else, and you are both equally qualified. In this case I would have to agree with SFD. If there is absolutely NO difference in the skills of the two people it would make sense to hire the one that had been there. The reason is this person is not only as qualified as the other, but will no the FFs better than the other person.
    "A greater love hath no man than this...."

ur second point... thats what i was trying to get at......
    Nate Breton, Vice President
    Post 333 Salem Fire Rescue

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the ability to work with fear."

Thread Information