Question question for ya'

Hi all, I'm new here, just wanted to say hi. I'm a volunteer ff and a paid EMT. I'm hoping to get on as a paid ff, but even thought I score #1 on the civil service exams, and have experience, apparently they think I'm too old to hire....I'm 34 what do you think?

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Too Old?

We had a guy in rookie school at 40 (quit Alabama Power Company). I read one story about a retired Marine going through rookie school at 60....you tell me if you're too old!
    Lt C. Carpenter BS, NREMT-P

Exclamation alex,

...if someone of authority says this to you, or if you can prove that they passed you up secondary to your age {if you think this has occurred, keep your eyes and ears open, mouth shut}...

SUE THE H$LL OUT OF SOMEBODY!!!

...it is illegal to discriminate b/c of your age, sex or race. They are not supposed to even ask your DOB untill you are employed (of course they'll know you're not 21).

I've been in the fire/EMS service since I was just a kid {like to think that I may still be one, LOL}. I operated a commercial EMS service for ten years. I can tell you, I'd hire an older, experienced person over any youngin', any day {Yes, I know, "discrimination," NOT! just learned the hard way}. I've found that youthfull bliss and vinegar is replaced with stability, loyality, smoothness and experience (for most of us anyway LOL).

Good luck,
    Last edited by truckiedog; 02-12-2002 at 08:39 PM.
    be safe,
    Truck Company 9...
    Engine chasers and Bone Breakers.
    May be gone, but NEVER forgotten...
    Soar free our Brothers and Sisters.

MembersZone Subscriber

I agree, if your qulified and in good health
    you should be given the chance.

Forum Member

You are as old as you feel. If you ar fit and consider all is well then go for it. In the UK, we are put out to grass at 55 but that may be looked at in the near future because of age laws etc. Good luck.
    Kindest regards & keep safe,

Sprinkle (UK)
    www.sprinkle2.homestead.com

Exclamation

My department is volunteer and we have age group from 22 all the way to 63 and they think you're to old. You have experience and that counts. Why most departments would welcome you in seconds. To many fools make to many decisions relating to the fire service. KEEP TRYING!

With my department a person wishing to be career must be appointed by their 36th birthday or the pension will not accept them. You have to get in to the pension between ages 21 and 35. Most cities in this state managed pension will not hire a person over the age due to the pension requirements. Our pension is known as police and fire PERF. Cities that do not offer this pension will hire older people than 35. I do not understand why they would not hire you. You are still young enough to give at least 20 years of service. Our pension has been sued for discrimination in the past, they lifted the age limit while waiting on a court hearing. The judge favored the pension age laws for some reason, so they went back to 21-35 age limits. Sorry top hear about your situation, that would be very frustrating.
    Take Care & Be Safe

Thread Information