Question Need Career Advice Part 2

Hey all,
    The rookie here again, seeking more advice. I want to thank all of you who responded to my earlier post. Well here it is. I passed the entrance exam and did very well and I have always struggled with tests. All I have to say for those going to take the entrance exam is to study any of the Fire Fighter Exam Study Guides you can obtain at your local library and to go to the test site with an "I Can" positive attitude.
    Next is the Physical Ability Test. If I pass this then I will go through an in depth interviewing/background process. What do most departments look for in a Fire Fighter? Any tips or helpful advice on how to go about this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Again!
    DW_70

MembersZone Subscriber

Most interview series questions are designed to weed out the liars. i.e. question # 12 and question # 37 are asking the same thing. You will not know it, and if you are answering questions with what you think they want to hear or to cover some part of your background, it will raise a red flag.
    Be totally honest in your interview and keep your answers to the point. None of us lead a perfect life before our careers but all of us passed the interview portion of our job's hiring protocol.

As for the physical, as I posted to "Jeep", start running and keep running 'til it hurts, then run some more. Wear a weight vest and hit the stairs. Run Forest Run!!!!

The physical ability is so the dept knows you are able to do the job physically and they don't have to worry about getting you in shape. The interviews can be tricky. In my area you would have 3 to 5 people asking you questions. There is no two way conversation, they ask and you answer thats it. They grade your answers based on words you say. They look for "anchor words" such as: team player, loyal, honest, integrity....and so on. When you answer a question follow it up with an example of what you have done or why you would do it. Wear a suit and tie. Try not to act nervous, but don't act too confident either. I would suggest that you buy a book or surf the web for info on hiring processes.
    GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!
    Take Care & Be Safe

You need to ask the guys in Virginia what is next. Do you do just an oral interview? Do you have the bio-data test? And the physical may be different there than in NY or Mass. I know the physical agility test has changed drasticly since I took it 21 years ago. I suggest running, forward and backward, be careful though, and lifting some weights. Stretch well two or three times a day and practice the course if you can, some towns have a practice course. Good luck!

Forum Member

Here is my 2 cents. If you are a normal guy or girl in average to good shape don't sweat the physical too bad.

The interview, in my opinion, is the hard part. I went through a couple until I got the feel and confidence to do well on my last one and get offered a job. Here is some advise, if anyone else wants to chime in please do. . .

1) Wear a suit. Seriously, no slacks and a shirt and tie.

2) Don't talk to anyone before the interview. I had a small problem with psyching myself out because person X had more education or person Y had more experience. You need to walk into the interview feeling like you have as much right to be there as anyone.

3) Don't be afraid to be wrong and don't be afraid to change your answer should you later realize that it is wrong. But don't kiss ***.

4) Think for a bit. One of my questions was "What is the worst motor vehicle offence that someone can commit?" Common answer: DUI My answer: Involuntary Vehicular Manslaughter.

5) Know when to shut the F*** up. Example: How many speeding tickets do you have? Answer: 1 from 3 years ago, sir. END OF ANSWER! If you go blathering on you will most likely dig yourself a hole.

6) Be honest. If you want to be a firefighter because the Holy Mother told you to in a vision then say it.

Good luck.

Smile

I want to thank everyone who responded to my post. I just took the Physical Ability Test. The test was tough but, allot of people were able to pass it. Next will be the oral interview. I am nervous but, you all made threw out some really good advice. I wish others out there the best of luck who are pursuing a job in the fire service too.

Best,
    DW70

Congrats on passing the P.T. test. Now improve your fitness level over what you have now. Recruit school is no cake walk. Relax before going to your oral interviews. If you can take off the day before and do something that you enjoy. It always helps me. Good luck in the interview process and hope to have you aboard soon.
    ftm-ptb, leather forever

Congratulations on the PT portion. With respect to the interview when I was conducting interviews I preferred those candidates that appeared to be candid and straightfroward. Not rude, but willing to answer questions in an honest manner. Eye contact is important too. I think you will do fine .

Stay safe!

Thread Information