Question How much cribbing is enough?

How much cribbing is enough for motor vehicle rescue? We are just starting out and have 2 Holmatro plastic step chock sets (ea. has 2 chocks, and 4 wedges). We also have an assortment of 8 4"x4"x21.5" and 8 2"x6"x21.5" wood blocks, and 12 wooden wedges. How much more do you think we need?
    Be safe everyone!

Engine 48

Check out cribbing options in Forum. This may help you determine a good starting point.

Good luck.
    P.Church

Forum Member

What ever you have,triple it and it will be half enough.Space is always the issue,my suggestion would be to have some bundled spare sets at the station that could be deployed by pick-up during a larger scale incident.Cribbing has so many uses that after you get going,you'll find that you need more and more.Velcro bands or turnout gear style bags work good to store "specialty" cribbing.Good luck.T.C.

My Department carries everything from step chocks to milk crates set up for box cribbing. In each crate we have 6 20in 4x4's, 4 20in 2x4's, and 2 full length wedges. This works out great for a majority of vehicles when building a box crib. We have 8 crates so we try to have 4 box's set up on a car. We also cary step chocks which come in handy for initial stabilization. Then there is various other cribing that we use if needed. After we have everything set we assign one person to continually check the cribing.

I would have to agree with previous posts that you can never have enough cribbing.

Forum Member

Talking

to me there is no such thing as having enough cribing.
    who knows? your next call could be a railcar on top of a car!do you have enough for that? neither does my dept. rescue 101 was right. space is the issue. step chocks are great space savers and time savers on scene. i would try to put as much cribing as possible in your truck and extra on station.
    I.A.C.O.J. Charter Member
    "Chet, get an inch and a half on that!"

"Not for fame or reward,Not for place or rank. Not lured by ambition or goaded by necessity. But in simple obedience to duty as they understood it. These men suffered,sacrificed,dared all, and died. Let us never forget our fallen friends."

FIGJAM

There's no right answer to this question.

We thought we had enough, then you get one of those strange and unusual calls that exhaust your supplies.

I don't have photo's of the stabilisation, but this car hit a pole and came to rest as you see it. To access the passenger side of the car, we had to use a large step ladder!

We exhausted our entire supply of cribbing and stabilisation stuff to try and make it safe....
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Luke

Thumbs up

We have added more 4x4 and 2x6 lumber. We also have a set of Rescue Logic jacks...They would be handy in the situation above. We also built an additional set of step chocks. Our First Aid Squad is also considering carrying some basic cribbing on the rigs. Our last rescue class, we accomplished most tasks with what stabilization equipment we have. If we ever do get that unusual call, there is always mutual aid. Thanks for all of your replies.
    Be safe everyone!

Temporarily/No Longer Active

We pack a modest assortment on each rig. 8 - step chocks, 64 - 4 x 4's, two ladder cribs, 20 4 x 4 and 2 x 4 wedges.

Temporarily/No Longer Active

see
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thread Information